WWE Reportedly Made Contract Offer to AJ Styles, Update on His Status with TNA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Wrestling Observer said:
There has been no word yet on AJ Styles signing another contract with TNA but it appears he will be working past December because of the current storyline he's involved in. The plan is to keep him off TNA TV for a few months while he defends the World Heavyweight Title for other promotions.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that there was an offer from WWE but it was one that AJ couldn't have possibly taken because it was about one-fifth what he's currently making with TNA.
So if I was to guess, I'd guess that WWE offer was around 100k? I'd have never expected AJ to sign even if he was offered a good contract anyway, I'm talking like double what he's already on.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Nobody gets there guarantee in WWe, most just get more because of incentives, merchandise, DVD royalties first off.

Secondly, not buying this. Why would WWE even go for a guy with alot of years under his belt who has never drew a dime? They can't use Styles, because Joey already established that name, he has an ugly tattoo on his side that WWE couldn't give him a decent renaming.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
I read somewhere that Tensai was making 400k per year, if that's the case then WWE is taking the piss on this one. Not that I think AJ would be a mega star or anything (especially with the inevitable name change), but 100k for a man of his talents and experience? Come on.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
But he isn't known. It's not like he's proven anything on a grand scale, at least Tensai was a midcard wwe act. AJ hasn't earned the right to demand above entry Indy money as its not like he's done anything of grand scale importance or elevated the TNA brand. He can't talk, he's old, and yeah he can work, but he's no different than a Punk, Bryan, Ohno, Cesaro. It's not like he's coming from WCW or ecw. He shouldn't get big money or even a bypass NXT deal, his stripes are meaningless as he hasn't earned anything in their eyes.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
That's a valid point. I just think that Tensai dancing around to Bootsy Collins (figuratively) is a little underwhelming for what he is being paid. But I guess Styles isn't a real draw as you and Deezy said as well either. I was going to argue about AJ working his way up the ladder but I never realized that he was already 36. Surprised that WWE would even consider him to be on the roster with how old he already is tbh.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Probably wanted to get him signed so that Sting felt a little more comfortable when he shows up in the WWE along with Hogan. :hogan:

Small price to pay for a bigger attraction and all that jazz.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Better off AJ just take his TNA deal until the company folds, then he get good indy money until that TNA lustre goes. Can milk this for a few years an retire.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Better off AJ just take his TNA deal until the company folds, then he get good indy money until that TNA lustre goes. Can milk this for a few years an retire.

Exactly what I expect him to do. He's not an idiot so I don't see him blowing through a lot of money or anything so he could have a decent retirement fund saved up by the time that comes around.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yep what you say is true deezy.

I mean if you can get get him for 100-200k you do it. NXT works Orlando where he's pretty famous at anyhow, and he'd be a good hand with a Samy, Bo, Graves, Neville, Xavier, Ohno, Ascension, and so on down there, he's a solid investment attraction for NXT for a little bit especially if you look to put NXT on TV like ecw was. I just don't think he worth 500-600 because he is not changing the landscape

And as far as Tensai goes, he's a waste right now, but down the line I wouldn't be shocked to see him used backstage. He's been around the company and world, makes a good agent, good performance center teacher, and has been doing some dabbling in commentary in NXT. Its like having guys like Kidman, road Dogg, and Billy Gunn around who may be with you for 10-20 more years just in a pat Patterson like role

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Exactly what I expect him to do. He's not an idiot so I don't see him blowing through a lot of money or anything so he could have a decent retirement fund saved up by the time that comes around.
And that's what he should do. Worse case if he goes that way, let's say TNA does fold or better her TNA gets sold to Vince for pennies but they have AJ, Joe, Beer Miney, Sting, Jeff, Bubba, etc locked down cheap unlike WCW. Vince can afford to take those contracts for their talents and especially their knockouts and just use them and some of the older guys to bolster SD while his main guys work raw. Then he can throw the finger to spike and can just have some impact and 10 years of ppv for a library

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I respect AJ and all but he doesn't demand a big contract pretty much not having a name esp considering it isn't like you're getting a young AJ Styles at age 36. So he really has zero leverage here to demand more than whatever they offered.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Deezy made a good point, you can't even rename him with that tat

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I don't think they'd rename him anyways would just try and trademark his name.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Just the say the AJ tattoo is his long lost daughters name and he's come to the WWE in search for her :vince2::RUSSO::jc:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Dale, would that be sister Abigail that bray always speaks of? :vince5:

Guess they could always do a fanboy/stalker of AJ Lee thing too since she's without a man right now. Plus that would be the only way AJ Styles would exhibit any sort of a personality