WWE Network

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Finally some news on this;

pwinsider said:
The WWE Network will be a "premium subscription model" released through all the regular platforms, according to Vince McMahon on the currently ongoing WWE conference call.
McMahon said the network will be very interactive and they have been working hard to plan the proper platform for the network.

So does this mean that it will be similar to HBO?

They seem incredibly confident that it will work even if just the hardcore fans buy the network.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
I'm into this^^^... Just gives them such a broader range to work with. Keep it kid and family friendly all day and night, then late night show some of the edgier stuff. Would love to see some late night UNCUT classic ECW on the network (a Shane Douglas promo just isn't the same when every other word is censored out)... As long as it would be similar to the other premium channels price wise I would certainly be in.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If I lived in the US I would get it, with the tape library that they have it should an awesome channel. As you said they could split it between PG during the day and early evening and then at night remove the restrictions so they can show some of the more risky matches and segments uncensored.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
George Barrios, Chief Financial Officer, of WWE, presented for the company at the UBS 40th Annual Global Media and Communications Conference. www.SeekingAlpha.com has transcribed the entire presentation and you can read the entire thing by going to their website.

The most interesting bit concerned the WWE Network. Here is what Barrios said.

"The other thing we talked about is a potential for WWE network and over the last four or five quarters, we have seen significant investments both in CapEx and OpEx in the network and showed some of that before and how that has been a drag on earnings in the short run. We believe there is an opportunity to transform the company strategically and economically and this slide is one of the fundamental reasons for that belief. We have done a lot of deep dive rigorous research on our audience in the U.S. If you look at the 116 million homes in the U.S. that’s how many households are in the U.S., there is 100 million television homes and then 90 million digitally enabled homes. So if you took the 116, about half of them, 57 million, 58 million homes would identify themselves in some way shape or form as having affinity to WWE. So it’s a pretty large market for us. If you took those 57 million homes and then segment, which is the bar chart to the right, about 20% of that is what we would describe as our passionate hard-core homes.

Those are the homes were someone in the household is watching WWE on a really regular basis. They can identify superstars, not just the John Cenas of the world, but the Dolph Zigglers, because that was part of the survey we did. You actually had to be able to name superstar to be able to fall in to that hard-core category not just self identified hard-core. You have to prove it to us. So we love everyone but we trust no one. So you have to prove it to us. That’s about 20%. About 40% of the WWE homes are what we call casual fans and those are fans who are watching our content throughout the year just not with the same intensity as our passionate hard-core. Then the 40% is our lapse fans. Those are households that have someone in the home who watched the show at one point in time over a year ago that was the cutoff and just no longer is engaged with the brand but interestingly enough we saw kernels of opportunity when we looked at the network even in that part of the fan base. But the point being significant audience scale and within that survey, there is also a lot of questions about appetite for new content from WWE, appetite for existing continent that might be delivered slightly differently and I can't get into too much detail there as well as willingness to pay.

We have talked about us going to market a network in one of three models. A dual-stream network, fully distributed, advertising and affiliate fee. A pay network, similar to an HBO model where the consumer would bear all the economic burden, no advertising primarily and then over-the-top. So the willingness to pay is both an indicator of the intensity to watch the show and that’s applicable to all three that willingness to pay also is applicable for the second and third one where it would be more of a direct-to-consumer economic model.

As we looked at all three of them and this is the underpinning for all three models in the other data that I just mentioned. We just believe there is too much there potentially not to keep pushing at it. The drag on earnings is painful. It's painful to investors. It's painful to us but we just believe payoff could be too large so we are going to continue to push on that.

The part in bold is very telling. They realise that they have spent a lot on it and that it keeps being dragged out but if it works it could be a game changer for WWE. I think that they are right, this could work so well if executed right. People always go on about old shows and old storylines and a lapsed fan that hates the current product could conceivably buy access to the Network instead because it features wrestling shows that they would rather see. The library that WWE has is immense and there is so much good stuff in there that could easily fill a network.

There is also word that with the Monday Night War show that they filmed they did around 12 episodes covering the battle in 00/01 so basically a show per month. That level of detail interests me a hell of a lot and it is very promising. The Monday Night Wars DVD was good but that was just a couple of hours and so mainly hit on the big points. This way they can take us through bit by bit and basically week by week compare the shows and the changes.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Yet another update

pwinsider said:
DirecTV is taking a big interest in the potential WWE Network and issued a survey to their subscribers on Thursday gauging interest in the carrier picking up the network.

In the survey, it was noted that the network could carry 11 WWE PPVs (everything but Wrestlemania) and asked for feedback on how often viewers ordered PPVs and whether they would order the PPVs if they didn't have access to the channel. They were asked if the PPVs being carried on the channel would be of value to the overall network.

DirecTV also requested viewer feedback on potential original WWE programming, listing The Monday Night Wars, classic matches, games shows and documentaries as
material the Network could produce.

DirecTV also asked for feedback on the network being part of a larger package or as a stand alone channel. As a stand alone channel, the network asked for feedback on different price points, listing $29.99, $24.99, $19.99, $16.99 and $12.99 and asking whether the Network was worth those prices per month.

Viewers were also asked if they would still order Wrestlemania on PPV if they purchased the channel.
They were also asked if they felt DirecTV would be a better value with the network.

First time we have seen some interest from an actual network as normally it has just been WWE sending out surveys to judge the potential reach of the network. If anyone ordered every PPV then it would be a no brainer to buy the standalone channel even at the highest price of $30 because of all the extras that goes along with it. It still does seem pretty expensive as a standalone channel even $20 a month seems a little high even though the PPVs would be supplied through the network.

WWE will report their fourth quarter earnings on the 28th of this month so fingers crossed they actually have some concrete answers on the Network.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
4-Traders.com has posted an interview in which WWE CFO George Barrios today where he was asked about the status of the WWE Network. Barrios said:

"Sure. So on the first part, continuing on with our core products, we're going to keep them fully distributed. We think that's a great platform for a network. And we think there's a lot of value as those shows come up for renewal. Our four biggest contracts will be renewed over the next three years. We think that's a great opportunity for us because of the value we deliver. Then to the network, we said we're going to take our pay-per-views. We're one of the preeminent pay-per-view providers today and our pay-per-views are priced anywhere between $49.95 and $59.95 today and we're going to make that the core of a value proposition with a lot of other new content and put it on a premium network so that our fans can subscribe. We said the price will be somewhere between $12.99 or $40.99, to be determined as we go to market but we think that's a real great opportunity. And to your question about breakeven, about a million subscribers because the pay-per-view buyers will migrate over to the network. That's our belief. About a million subscribers, we breakeven at 2 million, it's a really good business; at 3 million to 4 million, for us it's transformative."
He added:

"We believe over time. We believe the value proposition will be much more powerful to subscribe to a network at $12.99 to $14.99, 24/7, you have the pay-per-views, a lot of great content, our library, a lot of retrospective programming that we're doing that's testing really, really well, we're producing it right now so over time, I think the pay-per-view does go away."

Fair pricing considering PPVs are airing on the Network. I think that at that pricing they could get the 1 million subscribers required to break even. There are enough diehards and lapsed fans that would see value in it especially with all the old school programs that they will no doubt air on the Network. Their mistake so far has been announcing deadlines when they knew that they wouldn't be ready, at least now they aren't setting anything in stone so that there are no expectations for when it will be available.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Exactly it is great value, if I lived in the US I would subscribe in a heartbeat. The impact on PPV sales will be interesting, will be relying on international markets to cover the difference.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I would buy this in a heartbeat. Weather it's 15 or 40 a month. Amazing, amazing business move.

This needs to go out as soon as possible.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Exactly it is great value, if I lived in the US I would subscribe in a heartbeat. The impact on PPV sales will be interesting, will be relying on international markets to cover the difference.

I doubt WWE sees 100% of the PPV sales, so the hit wont be nearly as bad as we would expect. I do expect them to see more than 25% of the sales, but like it was said in the report, at the lower cost its not hard to see people who normally stream, or wait for the DVD to subscribe to the network.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Plus they would still offer ppv to non subscribers like normal

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I doubt WWE sees 100% of the PPV sales, so the hit wont be nearly as bad as we would expect. I do expect them to see more than 25% of the sales, but like it was said in the report, at the lower cost its not hard to see people who normally stream, or wait for the DVD to subscribe to the network.

I remember hearing WWE gaining about $22 per PPV buy but I am not sure how accurate that info. Interesting point about streamers, it may be worth it for them to now to pay for the product through the network at this reasonable price.

Plus they would still offer ppv to non subscribers like normal

I just wonder how many regular PPV buyers will now switch to the network instead therefore reducing the number of PPV buys per PPV. What percentage will move across.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
For $15 I would stop streaming, its really not a bad price point only for the monthly PPV, nevermind the additional programming that will have to fill up the remainder of the month.