WWE Extending Luke Harpers Contract

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Ever since AEW became a thing that exists, it seems WWE have been on edge and is doing whatever it can to make sure superstars dont leave, with them only letting people go if they arent too important, however what they are doing to both Luke Harper and possibly Sasha Banks, is down right terrible.

Luke Harper has made his frustrations with the company fairly known, with him wanting to leave and him being mad the writers for Smackdown didnt even know he was medicaly cleared, and more. And so he asked for his release, appearntly that was not given to him, according to the Wrestleing Observer Newsletter WWE have taken his contract and extended it, useing the 6 months he was injured for as a way to do so, forceing him to remain with the company atleast until WrestleMania next year.

WWE could keep adding months that they dont use him, effectively freezeing his contract, just to make sure he can never work anywhere else, and its also being reported by the Wrestleing Observer Newsletter that they are possibly going to do the same to Sasha Banks. Someone else who has been vocal about their frustration with WWE.

The video below covers this topic and a few others, but this one in particuler i felt a need to share with yall. appearntly Dave Meltzer speculates that this is WWEs way of "Dissuadeing people into going public and saying they are unhappy"

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Seems like they only hold on to certain people just to spite them. I get that they signed a contract but they should at least be willing to work something out.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Not like Luke Harper is such a huge and important star to lose. He isn't Dean Ambrose ffs

Crash

Reaction score
I think it's obvious that they want to make an example out of Luke Harper, like to show their talents they can't just hop out of their contract whenever they want. Now with that said, I think this is a disgusting tactic, especially when I heard that not only they won't release him but that they actually extended his contract... That's really a low blow.

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
They extended Neville's contract to before there was an AEW.. They're just assholes like that.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Pardon me if I don’t feel bad for people who get to stay home and get a guaranteed 6 figure salary. If my work told me to stay home and still paid me it’d be the best news I ever received. Not everyone can be the top of their companies, there’s only one CEO, 1 lead singer, 1 champion. Be happy you have a job at the place that can pay you to do what you love. I’m not a huge fan of his, but look at all the shit Zach Ryder has been given. He’s just done his job and kept going. Also, Banks and Harper signed their contracts. They weren't forced at gun point. In life you have to fulfill your commitments. If they had both shut up and ran out their contracts they’d be able to move on quicker.

That’s just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Crash

Reaction score
Pardon me if I don’t feel bad for people who get to stay home and get a guaranteed 6 figure salary. If my work told me to stay home and still paid me it’d be the best news I ever received. Not everyone can be the top of their companies, there’s only one CEO, 1 lead singer, 1 champion. Be happy you have a job at the place that can pay you to do what you love. I’m not a huge fan of his, but look at all the shit Zack Ryder has been given. He’s just done his job and kept going. Also, Banks and Harper signed their contracts. They weren't forced at gunpoint. In life you have to fulfill your commitments. If they had both shut up and ran out their contracts they’d be able to move on quicker.

That’s just my 2 cents.

That is a good point you bring up and very true. But on the other hand being locked in a contract at home will prevent them from being an active wrestler and have airtime to stay relevant, being off TV for so long might hurt their potential for getting a good or better contract once you are leave with WWE for good.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Pardon me if I don’t feel bad for people who get to stay home and get a guaranteed 6 figure salary. If my work told me to stay home and still paid me it’d be the best news I ever received. Not everyone can be the top of their companies, there’s only one CEO, 1 lead singer, 1 champion. Be happy you have a job at the place that can pay you to do what you love. I’m not a huge fan of his, but look at all the shit Zach Ryder has been given. He’s just done his job and kept going. Also, Banks and Harper signed their contracts. They weren't forced at gun point. In life you have to fulfill your commitments. If they had both shut up and ran out their contracts they’d be able to move on quicker.

That’s just my 2 cents.
Signing a contract of any measure is establishing a trust between you and the other person/company/party that you will uphold your end of the deal and they will uphold theirs. If it is a mutual contract (similar to a marriage) there is room for give and take, adjusting, and growth. However, if it is a working contract, the company tends to call the shots and ensures if something goes wrong, they don't lose out on anything. WWE has been known for using contracts against workers. While I would be fine sitting here making 6 figures and not doing anything (most of us would I think) these kinds depend on relevance. The longer he sits home, the less likely he is to get work after he leaves WWE (as Brockamura mentioned).

But don't get me wrong... I believe that signing anything deems your responsible. If you are not happy, you have to look at it as a learning experience. Taking responsibility for your actions is part of being an adult. If you can't take responsibility, you are not grown. Simple as that. People land themselves in unhappy situations all the time, many far worse than what he is going through but you won't advance past it if you can't learn to accept your part in the matter and learn from it. At this point, he just needs to keep quiet and let it roll out. If he wants to continue wrestling after Mania, then he will have something to work towards. If he doesn't, he can use the money WWE is giving him to make new investments for his life.

Reactions: Crash

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Well their true colors are finally showing...

They depicted themselves as The Pro Wrestling Empire for years, now they are showing who they really are which is...

Desperate Assholes.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
That is a good point you bring up and very true. But on the other hand being locked in a contract at home will prevent them from being an active wrestler and have airtime to stay relevant, being off TV for so long might hurt their potential for getting a good or better contract once you are leave with WWE for good.
Maybe so. However, if his release was granted and he jumps straight to AEW he’s providing an asset to WWEs competition. This, in the end, is business. Money has been invested by the WWE into Harper and his character. Why would they let an asset they’ve invested in go to their competition just because they feel they aren’t being used properly? As much as I like Harper, in essence, he’s a mid card/tag team guy at this point in WWE. Which is how he’s been booked. I’m not sure what he’s expecting. When given a singles run in the IC title picture it was underwhelming and he didn’t get over to the point of pushing him into the main event scene.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
(Dang it, appearntly i forgot how to quote people on this site LOL @Senhor Perfect)

That is true, but i dont think it makes what WWE is doing right, atleast not in a moral sense, they are extending his contract by 6 months for the time he was injured just to ensure he wont go anywhere else, and if they continue not useing him they can just keep increaseing that amount of time endlessly. They are literately trapping him in their company and he cant do anything about it.

And whats worse, this is just to set a example. Sure to us sitting on our buts all day long getting a great amount of income while being able to do basicly nothing sounds great, but for them it isnt, why should they be punished for speaking their minds? WWE can keep Luke and Sasha there for...really as long as they want, if they want they can basicly ruin their careers and make then job out to everyone, ruining any credibility before letting them go, im pretty sure they did that a few times too.

I get ti from the buisness perspective, but i stull just think its wrong to punish them for speaking out, saying their frustations, WWE are shooting themselves in the foot right now and i dont think they even know it, more and more the WWE seems like the worst place to be unless you are a top star in their eyes or the fans wont shut up about you. I mean seriously, i wonder what the other superstars think of their fellow superstars getting punished for speaking out, i imagine everyones walking on egg shells even more now, if they werent already.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
(Dang it, appearntly i forgot how to quote people on this site LOL @Senhor Perfect)

That is true, but i dont think it makes what WWE is doing right, atleast not in a moral sense, they are extending his contract by 6 months for the time he was injured just to ensure he wont go anywhere else, and if they continue not useing him they can just keep increaseing that amount of time endlessly. They are literately trapping him in their company and he cant do anything about it.

And whats worse, this is just to set a example. Sure to us sitting on our buts all day long getting a great amount of income while being able to do basicly nothing sounds great, but for them it isnt, why should they be punished for speaking their minds? WWE can keep Luke and Sasha there for...really as long as they want, if they want they can basicly ruin their careers and make then job out to everyone, ruining any credibility before letting them go, im pretty sure they did that a few times too.

I get ti from the buisness perspective, but i stull just think its wrong to punish them for speaking out, saying their frustations, WWE are shooting themselves in the foot right now and i dont think they even know it, more and more the WWE seems like the worst place to be unless you are a top star in their eyes or the fans wont shut up about you. I mean seriously, i wonder what the other superstars think of their fellow superstars getting punished for speaking out, i imagine everyones walking on egg shells even more now, if they werent already.
Unfortunately morals don’t have an important place in business. Furthermore, being a jobber in WWE gets far more exposure than wrestling anywhere else, so why not just go out there, do what you have to do, and then move on when your contract is up. Just like Ambrose for example.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Unfortunately morals don’t have an important place in business. Furthermore, being a jobber in WWE gets far more exposure than wrestling anywhere else, so why not just go out there, do what you have to do, and then move on when your contract is up. Just like Ambrose for example.
Well in Luke Harpers case he cant even do that, they arent useing him, and they are making Sasha Banks take time off and not useing her, they can try to let their contracts run out, but WWE can just extend it, there really isnt anything they can do, they are kinda screwed, atleast thats what it seems like.

Im pretty sure the only reason they let Dean Ambroses contract expire is because they were able to do a bit of milking before letting him go (Or in other words, milking as much shield goodness as they can until his contract is done lol)