WWE Bans the Curb Stomp

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
So... basically a finisher that is almost practically the same thing as Ambrose's double-armed DDT? That's fucking lame.

And what's ironic is that there's nearly as much force to the opponent's head slamming to the mat there as there was with the Curb Stomp. So they basically accomplished nothing from getting rid of the Curb Stomp except for losing a really unique finisher.

Correct.

And yeah, banning Curb Stomp for storyline purposes only would've been cool. But this way, aww hell naw!

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
So... basically a finisher that is almost practically the same thing as Ambrose's double-armed DDT? That's fucking lame.
I fail to see the similarities outside of both being DDTs.

Dean's is double armed, Seth's is a single arm underhook one, combined with different executions (Dean sits out and falls on his back, Seth falls forward).

There not that similar outside of being from the DDT family of moves. Cameron's DDT looks more like Dean's than Seth's does.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I fail to see the similarities outside of both being DDTs.

Dean's is double armed, Seth's is a single arm underhook one, combined with different executions (Dean sits out and falls on his back, Seth falls forward).

There not that similar outside of being from the DDT family of moves. Cameron's DDT looks more like Dean's than Seth's does.

That pretty much is the similarity.

So he hooks one arm instead of two and falls forward rather than backwards, but his opponent is still being hit with the same move regardless. It's not 100% the same (which is why I typed "almost practically the same thing", because if you honestly blink when Seth hits it, you'd almost think you just witnessed him doing the same exact finisher that Ambrose does), but it's still too similar for my tastes.

I'd rather they just give Rollins the super-kick or something as a finisher. In fact, maybe they could have him use the turnbuckle powerbomb and the superkick back-to-back as one finisher - he powerbombs you in the corner first and then immediately follows it up with a running superkick. It'd make a great finishing combination.

Reactions: Aids Johnson

Stopspot

Reaction score
That pretty much is the similarity.

So he hooks one arm instead of two and falls forward rather than backwards, but his opponent is still being hit with the same move regardless. It's not 100% the same (which is why I typed "almost practically the same thing", because if you honestly blink when Seth hits it, you'd almost think you just witnessed him doing the same exact finisher that Ambrose does), but it's still too similar for my tastes.
No offence, but that seems like a bit of a straw argument. Because the moves aren't similar at all apart from being from the DDT family of moves.

So because one person uses a DDT as a finisher, other people can't use a DDT as a finisher? Had this been Bo and Dean we were talking about I'd be right with you since they use the same move only Dean adds a bit of snap to his. But Seth's and Dean's are too different. Different set up, different variation of the DDT to begin with and different execution.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
No offence, but that seems like a straw argument. Because the moves aren't similar at all apart from being from the DDT family of moves.

So because one person uses a DDT as a finisher, other people can't use a DDT as a finisher? Had this been Bo and Dean we were talking about I'd be right with you since they use the same move only Dean adds a bit of snap to his. But Seth's and Dean's are too different. Different set up, different variation of the DDT to begin with and different execution.

How is it a different execution? They're both DDT's and their set-up looks almost practically the same. Just because he hooks one arm instead of two and falls in a different way doesn't make the moves drastically different. If he at least lifted the opponent into the air a bit before planting them head-first into the mat (like Gangrel and Edge used to do with the Impaler DDT back in the day), that might be different enough for my taste, but he didn't do that variation of it last night.

And I never said two separate people couldn't use the DDT, just that I find it lame that they couldn't be a little more inventive when it came to finding Rollins a new finisher. I can think of at least five finishers that he probably would have been better off with. The superkick, enziguri, a top-rope splash of some kind, etc.

Stopspot

Reaction score
How is it a different execution? They're both DDT's and their set-up looks almost practically the same. Just because he hooks one arm instead of two and falls in a different way doesn't make the moves drastically different.
Except it does. The way he lands/hits the move is the basic definition of different execution.

And I never said two separate people couldn't use the DDT, just that I find it lame that they couldn't be a little more inventive when it came to finding Rollins a new finisher. I can think of at least five finishers that he probably would have been better off with. The superkick, enziguri, a top-rope splash of some kind, etc.
In what world is the enzugiri a finishing move?

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Except it does. The way he lands/hits the move is the basic definition of different execution.

I don't get how this is even an argument. He grabs an opponent, he hits them with a DDT, and he does nothing different except that he lands on the ground face-first instead of on his back with only one of his opponents arms grabbed instead of both. How does this change the fact that the opponent himself is landing in the same exact manner? How does it change the fact that it does the same exact damage as Ambrose's does with no apparent difference in impact at all?

In what world is the enzugiri a finishing move?

In the same world where a neck-breaker, a spinning-neckbreaker, a big boot, a clothesline, a DDT (of any kind), a leg-drop, a running knee, a punch to the face, etc. are all plausible finishing maneuvers. In other words, the whacky, cartoonish fantasy-land of WWE. How is an enzugiri any less believable than any or all of those things? I can't remember the last person who used it as a finisher, but ADR at least used it as a signature move that he would use to put people down before slapping the cross-arm breaker on them. It was always sold as one of his more devastating moves.

One of the fun and cartoonish aspects of wrestling is that you can condition people to accept almost anything as a finisher if you use it as one long enough, and the enzugiri would at least be an original one if nothing else. I'm not even saying it's the best choice for a finisher, but it's a suggestion.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Backstage News On Seth Rollins Using A New Finishing Move, Curb Stop Not Being Banned

Regarding rumors of WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins having his Curb Stomp finisher banned by the company, the move has not been banned but Rollins will be using the new DDT-facebuster type move he used on RAW to defeat Dolph Ziggler as his finisher.

Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter described Rollins using a new move as a "semantic situation" and said WWE does not want to draw attention to the Curb Stomp no longer being used, but it is not banned.

Source

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
In other words the curb stomp is going to be more of a special attraction instead of a staple.

Can't say I agree. The curb stomp was badass. Seth talking about curb stomping people was badass. Take that away and he loses a lot of badass points.

Lackin

I'm a F'kn Mark - It's my real name.
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
U-WOT-M8.jpg
Just as I started to like it.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Curb Stomp is lame anyway.. you can't properly do it without teeth on a curb.. :jericho:

Naw idk I thought it is part of Seth's image, that might take away a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rain

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I can't see why they would want to ban Curb Stomp because it's dangerous (it really doesn't look particularly bad) but then again they could just change the name if they don't want those negative connotations of the actual curb stomp. Either way, that new DDT looks kinda lame and very similar to the new Dirty Deeds, I'm hoping they find something better.