WS Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
So there were no great tag team outside the 80s? :TI:

And yes, I nominated the Dudleyz because no other team has their success, their run, accolades or business drawn. We just have to agree to disagree.

In the 90's, not really, unless you say like a few like the New Age Outlaws, Harlem Heat, and Owen & Bulldog.

Also Pat & Stevens were from the 70's.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
In the 90's, not really, unless you say like a few like the New Age Outlaws, Harlem Heat, and Owen & Bulldog.

I love the New Age outlaws and I want to say Owen and Bulldog pretty cool too. As for Harlem Heat I wouldn’t say they were great tagteam but they did have 10 runs with the straps and were basically WCW tag division outside of the outsiders and a few other teams.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Going by longevity and gold then yeah the Dudley Boyz certainly deserve it.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Because I had Ric Flair, Undertaker, Roddy Piper, Mick Foley, The Rock, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, Andre the Giant, and Bret Hart on my list and we could only have 10.

Yeah except Hulk and Stone Cold are literally better than every single one of those people.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Yeah except Hulk and Stone Cold are literally better than every single one of those people.

It's not like it matters when they got in anyways. :draper2

Reactions: Chris

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I voted for both. Hulk just in the better package. :goku

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
If we’re ever thinking managers/non wrestling personalities:

Bobby Heenan
Howard Finkel
Gorilla Monsoon
Mean Gene
Brother Love
Paul Bearer
Slick
Mr Fuji
Miss Elizabeth
Sherri Martel

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
My top tag teams would be The Dudleyz and The Steiners.

For personalities, Vince McMahon is at the top. After that, I could see Heenan, Heyman and maybe even Cornette. And then maybe further down the line you have people like Mean Gene, JR, Gorilla, Fink, Sherri, Bischoff etc.

Davey Wrestling

Does AEW have your attention now?!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bOKjo7Z
Favorite Wrestler
UserAEW
Favorite Wrestler
bwpLynH
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
In order to lay the ground work early for my top nomination for next year:

Reactions: Vegeta and Hoss

Davey Wrestling

Does AEW have your attention now?!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bOKjo7Z
Favorite Wrestler
UserAEW
Favorite Wrestler
bwpLynH
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I have some suggestions for this - given that we're almost a year away I figure there's plenty of time to discuss them, even if they just get shot down at least they're out there:

Suggestion 1: A legacy vote, an entrant that can only be chosen from a pre-selected group. As Grim said, the likes of Rikidozan will never get selected naturally due to all of our ages (shit, I'm old as dust and he's before my time), Frank Gotch, Lou Thesz there's a number of names that just won't go in for years but probably should do. Probably put this on top of the original 5 so the class would go up to six.

Suggestion 2: Remove the part time criteria and just have an age limit: at least 45 years old (for example).

Suggestion 3: Potentially theme each year: so next year might be tag-teams, Japanese performers or guys that retired in the 90s (as examples) - I don't think we're near a point where we "need" to do this yet btw.

Just throwing stuff out there for people to discuss.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I have some suggestions for this - given that we're almost a year away I figure there's plenty of time to discuss them, even if they just get shot down at least they're out there:

Suggestion 1: A legacy vote, an entrant that can only be chosen from a pre-selected group. As Grim said, the likes of Rikidozan will never get selected naturally due to all of our ages (shit, I'm old as dust and he's before my time), Frank Gotch, Lou Thesz there's a number of names that just won't go in for years but probably should do. Probably put this on top of the original 5 so the class would go up to six.

Suggestion 2: Remove the part time criteria and just have an age limit: at least 45 years old (for example).

Suggestion 3: Potentially theme each year: so next year might be tag-teams, Japanese performers or guys that retired in the 90s (as examples) - I don't think we're near a point where we "need" to do this yet btw.

Just throwing stuff out there for people to discuss.

The second suggestion is one that I think should be effective immediately. You did suggest that to me a while back and I planned to institute it next time around. I think that's the right idea. So instead of trying to interpret who is and isn't part-time or retired, you have this exact guideline. They must either be retired or a certain age. For the record, I think 45 is a good baseline but then that also disqualified a few current guys. Brock Lesnar and John Cena most notably. Neither are full-on retired and neither is 45 yet either. Is that an issue? Maybe not. But I think 42 is the original age you suggested and I think that's a better age.

The first suggestion is one that I think should certainly be taken into consideration. When I did the Wrestling Punks Hall of Fame, I had the idea to have a "themed" induction every year. One year it was on-air personalities which Bobby Heenan won, and one year is was promoters, which Vince McMahon won. So we could do something along those lines where one year we have a pioneer era inductee, one year we induct a manager, one year we induct a stable and so on and so forth and just go in a cycle like that. (so for example: 2021 we do a pioneer, 2022 we do a manager, 2023 we do a stable, 2024 we do a pioneer again, 2025 we do a manager and 2026 we do a stable). But, the thing I don't so much like about that is that it would potentially interfere with people nominating these kinds of people on just a normal basis. nWo, The Horsemen, Giant Baba, Bobby Heenan, Vince McMahon, as well as several others, all got votes for the HOF this year. I think if you establish that every few years we're going to induct a pioneer age guy, it will make people avoid nominating them on a yearly basis.

For the third point, I'm not too high on that. I feel like that's a bit too limiting, especially at this point in time. I would rather those concepts be incorporated into the above point if anything.

But all in all my concern with the first and third suggestion is: if we add in these extra things, will the Hall of Fame them become less reflective of our site's beliefs? Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch, Rikidozan... all these guys are worthy of being in any wrestling Hall of Fame. But if we're more or less forcing people to vote for these guys, it kind of devalues their induction, you know? Compared to if people were to rally behind them on their own accord.

Anyways, that's just me. I'd certainly want to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

Reactions: Chris

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I personally don't think it devalues their induction at all when considering there's more wrestlers from before we were born that were popular than there are now.

Off the top of my head, while the obvious ones would go in the first few years, we'd eventually get into the nitty gritty of some lesser but equally important pioneer wrestlers such as Sputnik Monroe, Thunderbolt Patterson, Jackie Fargo, Christine Jarrett, Verne Gagne, Whipper Billy Watson, Stu Hart, etc.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I personally don't think it devalues their induction at all when considering there's more wrestlers from before we were born that were popular than there are now.

Off the top of my head, while the obvious ones would go in the first few years, we'd eventually get into the nitty gritty of some lesser but equally important pioneer wrestlers such as Sputnik Monroe, Thunderbolt Patterson, Jackie Fargo, Christine Jarrett, Verne Gagne, Whipper Billy Watson, Stu Hart, etc.
How many people here do you think would vote for Sputnik Monroe if there was practically any other options?

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
How many people here do you think would vote for Sputnik Monroe if there was practically any other options?

People who know their wrestling history and the part he played in the desegregation of the South.