WS Movie Log Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Managed to watch a few films in April.

I finished The Little Things which was really disappointing. Denzel Washington has been in far better films.

The Invisible Man was great stuff. One of the better horror movies I've watched lately.

Run with Sarah Paulson was fantastic. Very tense, and good storyline.

Reactions: Apoho Creed

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I
Finally updated my list. A little backstory. I used to use March and April as movie watching months to catch up on movies I need to watch. Last year that didn’t happen as I was working so damn much and then focusing on my move when I moved in with my girlfriend. I got a little sidetracked and watched the entire MCU and part of the DCEU before working a little bit more. This month I’ve had 2 weeks off for vacation and I’ve used a lot of the time to catch up on movies. Older movies, newer movies. It’s been fun. I’m back to work on Monday and today I had a course through my Union on Zoom and had to run errands but I’ll probably watch a few more later and then I have 3 days to get in as many movies watched as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I've watched one film in May and it's only because @Curry made me do it

200.gif

I would recommend Booksmart if you like coming-of-age films and if you liked Edge of Seventeen, it had that similar vibe. I would actually watch it again, most likely I will at some point.

Just haven't been feeling movies lately, it seems to take me so much EFFORT to watch one and then I end eup enjoying it. Maybe it's choice fatigue.

Reactions: Curry

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Finally updated my log. I can't even remember watching anything new in June, July or August, but at least I'm finally getting some watched in September. I imagine September and October I'll finally get my shit together as my movie consumption rises in these months.

I'm going to keep it to strictly new movies I think. I still have The Invisible Man as the best film I've seen this year. So tense and loved Leigh Whannel's direction. It didn't reply on cheap scares. Just a beautifully shot film with a good tense atmosphere.

Actually not bad for horror lately. I need to see Candyman too. Movies getting released lately have had better reviews than normal for horror.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
You guys seen anything good on Netflix lately? I watched Woman in the Window and it was okay. I've heard some good things about the Fear Street movies.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I canceled my Netflix finally a few months ago lol

• Haha
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I canceled my Netflix finally a few months ago lol

I take breaks here and there when I'm not in the mood to watch stuff. This month I'm back in the Movie and TV Show mood so I'm gonna let it take me through September and October.

I just hope their Halloween selection isn't whack this year :francis I guess I'll just have to pull out the trusty Blu-Rays if so.

Reactions: Chris

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Last movie I watched on Netflix was a couple weeks ago, called Bullet Head. I enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of Reservoir Dogs meets Cujo or something lol.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I watched Fear Street: Part One and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark over the weekend. They were both excellent. Some gems on Netflix at the minute.

The latter is more of a teen scream, but I still really enjoyed it. Thought it was a lot better than the Goosebumps movie, especially at nailing the tone of the books.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Watched The Father today with Anthony Hopkins, crazy good performance by him. I'm sure he'll be up for a lot of awards, deservingly so. Very sad though, really.

Also rewatched Inglourious Basterds for the first time in quite awhile, still holds up and then some. Popped bc this time I understood the "I'm like the German Sergeant York" since I've actually watched the Sergeant York movie in between my watched of this move lol

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I updated the OP to include links to the 2021 and 2022 logs so we can keep this as a permanent discussion and also historically link back to previous threads. Here's my final list of 2021 too, that big gap earlier in the year isn't entirely accurate bc I know I watched the Sharknados with people on here but those also might be the only ones missing lol I didn't watch shit those months

January
Psycho (1960)
Casablanca (1942)
Modern Times (1936)
Capernaum (2018)
Piper
(2016)
Your Name (2016)
Dangal (2016)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
Coco (2017)
Batman: Year One (2011)
DC Showcase: Catwoman (2011)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part One (2012)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two (2013)

February
Django Unchained (2012)
The Dark Knight Rises (2013)
3 Idiots (2009)

June
David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet (2020)
Drishyam (2013)
Drishyam 2: The Resumption (2021)
Pather Panchali (1955)
Dara of Jasenovac (2021)
Ratsasan (2018)
Rear Window (1954)

August
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train (2020)
Bo Burnham: Inside (2021)
Taare Zameen Par (2007)
Wall-E (2008)
Shershaah (2021)
The Lives of Others (2006)
Oldboy (2003)
Memento (2000)
Princess Mononoke (1997)

September
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
1959 (2021)
The Shining (1980)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)
A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
High and Low (1963)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)

October
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
The Great Dictator (1940)
Chhichhore (2019)
Aynabaji (2016)
1917 (2019)
Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019)
Dune (2021)
Tumbbad (2018)
They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)
K.G.F: Chapter 1 (2018)
Paperman (2012)
The Hunt (2012)
A Separation (2011)

November
Jai Bhim (2021)
Temple Grandin (2010)
Sardar Udham (2021)
Incendies (2010)
'96 (2018)
The Father (2020)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)

December
Sticks & Stones (2019)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Amélie (2001)
Snatch (2000)
Requiem for a Dream (2000)

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
A Bronx Tale holds up. What a directorial debut by De Niro, and a great performance acting to go with it. Definitely up there with my favourite movies of his. Him and Chazz Palminteri really were magic in the same movie together. Would highly recommend this film if you have never seen it, one of the good 90's ones.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
MV5BNDVlMTM4MzEtNTdhNC00N2I0LTgyNmQtNjcyYjg3NTQ2YzA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQwOTQ1MzM@._V1_.jpg

Watched this last night. Very good British film, if you've ever seen Top Boy on Netflix and liked it, this will be right up your alley. It's in the same sort of style, but felt a lot more raw and realistic. Performances from the young cast were good. It does a good job of showing the affect knife crime and gangs can have on families and friendships. You know where the story is heading from the start, but it's well-acted and had the right pace. Hard to watch at times.

I liked the way they blended grime music in with the storyline too.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
the-grudge-850x600.jpg

This was an alright remake imo, but I can see why it got bad reviews. It doesn't do anything fresh, and is not as good as the Sarah Michelle Gellar remake. That one freaked me out. I started to get bored towards the end with this, kept checking the runtime. They could have done SO much more with it. Honestly first hour I was enjoying it decently fine, then it started dragging. The parts with John Cho in it were pretty creepy and well done, most probably my highlights. Lin Shaye was good as she usually is too. I'd say William Sadler is the real stand-out from the cast by far, he absolutely owned his role as the detective losing his sanity over the case. Easily the best character and acting performance in the film. Andrea Riseborough was fine in the lead role, but I found her character a bit bland overall, I didn't really care about her character or what was happening around her.

The real best moments of this film is when they go back in time, and look at the rest of the characters. Who I was far more intrigued by, I didn't care about anything going on with the 'main' characters.

I personally felt as though it was lacking legitimately creepy moments compared to the other Grudge movies which terrified me. The jump scares didn't even get me honestly, except for a couple and that might be because I was distracted. I will say that death rattle still gets me, creepy as hell. Yea, just not as scary as I was hoping, felt a bit safe and kinda just trudged along as it went further on. Okay one time watch, but only if you're absolutely out of things to watch. Even then, I'd recommend just watching Ju-On: The Grudge or The Grudge (2004).

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
tumblr_on3uq4xQKE1rob81ao2_250.gifv

Sleepers (1996) was very good, albeit hard to watch at times. There is some seriously disturbing moments in this film, but has a very strong start and the story was interesting to keep me watching until the end. Thought all the performances were pretty good, especially Kevin Bacon. Very easy to loathe him in this film, he does a good job playing the bad guy.