Wrestler gone too soon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

If I didn't think Bret was so fed up with the business I would suggest he and Jesse Ventura start getting some of these guys together and finally start some form of union for these guys.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
they have no insurance or pension, so they have to keep on working. It isn't Vince's fault at all, it's just that wrestlers have to do whatever it takes to make money. you also have to put into account that they have no outside life, being constantly on the road without family.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
No doing the totally wrong thing for business isn't Vince's fault at all. :rolleyes:

Kizza

Hasn't Nowinski done something kind of like an injury protection thing for wrestlers?

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Nowinski is only focusing on concussions with his Sports Legacy Institution. They also are focusing quite a bit on football, but they have had an impact in that arena as the NFL again made further changes to their concussion policy just this week.

I mentioned it in the thread I posted about it a while back, I donated a bit of cash to them and if you can you should too imo. Skip two PPVs and send the money somewhere it will matter.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I know also maybe there might be a temptation to send the cash to Wrestler's Rescue as well and while Dawn Marie's goals are very admirable and I respect the hell out of her now for it, it's just a band-aid on the problem and not a solution.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
At least with the case of Sandman, WWE can and will pay for former employees going to rehab if they are willing to do so.

Believe me, I blame Vince McMahons methods and I am a strong supporter of the fact that WWE needs to be forcibly regulated by congress since it's obvious they have no desire to willingly cooperate, but I can't place all the blame on the business.

Because if guys like Perfect, Mike Awesome ect. ect. really wanted to end their substance abuse problems, the option has always been there for WWE to pay their entire way through rehab. But it's from their own personal choice that they continue to juice themselves up and mix cocktails of painkillers and alcohol after they've already been fired from the company.

So the wrestlers themselves also need to take some personal responsibility and actually band together to force some form of change. If enough WWE superstars walked out and protested every show until they got benefits, WWE couldn't just sweep it under the rug and fire everyone. Especially since they fail so bad at building newer stars in the first place.

MizMasta3000

^agreed. WWE can try to get you help, but I you refuse, what can they really do. Hopefully, Umaga's death was the shocking blow for wrestlers today and they would think more long term when they face the pills or time off decision.

Kizza

I think people may be underestimating how different people react to drugs. Hell, Umaga is a big guy, so he might have felt absolutely no side effects or anything, and then bam, suddenly he's in hospital and on life support.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
I always knew he was on drugs to be as fast as he was during that Cena feud(where they had that match at Royal Rumble and Cena had to use the ropes to choke him out) (Cena's LAST Good feud)

Umaga was a great man who seemed to have been a very impressionable man. Best of luck to his family and I hope the proper respect is shown by the WWE. The company who drove him to his death. As ridiculous as it sounds, it's true.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
rehab is great, but it can't really be a final solution for some people. there's been a big amount of guys who've gotten clean, but there's also guys that have relapsed after leaving rehab. you can stay clean when you're being watched and not doing anything, but what about when you're faced with work and real decisions?

but who says drug use all starts in the WWE? there obviously are guys on the indy/tna scene that are doing the exact same thing for themselves.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Nobody said otherwise. What is being said is that nobody will change unless the industry leader makes the first step.

Reaction score
Here's one thing bad about the Union proposal: The fans may suffer in terms of strikes. We all saw how shitty baseball has become (it's a fucking joke now!) because of greedy, undeserving Unions. The Union is a good idea, but it needs to have restraints, not an unlimited choke chain for "gunpoint business negotiations" like in the MLB.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Maybe if Batista had a cardiac arrest in the middle of a wrestlemania main event for the undisputed world championship and it's found that his death was steroid related then the industry can finally change itself.