Wrestler gone too soon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MizMasta3000

Test, Eddie, Benoit, Crash, Von Erichs, Mr. Perfect, etc etc. Have somethings in common. Not only are they famous profesional wrestlers that have died young, Their deaths are a result of Past or current substance abuse. I see reports on Umaga. Hopefully he will be okay, but he was on pills before he was hospitalized. I'm sick of these guys dying so young, Why, because of steriods. Takes me back a thread Monkey posted a while ago about Christopher Nowinski pushing for better health benefits or something. I think something need to be done about this. I know we cant hold WWE responsible for what their current and former wrestlers do outside the ring, but obviously something needs to give in order to stop these young atheltes from cutting their lives short because of drug/steroid and alcohol abuse. It saddens me that I feel that there is not much to do about this epidemic.

straight_edge76

Owen Hart to... But his death wasn't health related.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Ummm why exactly can't we hold WWE responsible? Because they do so so much for their independent contractors?

MizMasta3000

What do you do if they are former wrestlers? Not working? Thats why I said WWE should have lifetime health benefits

monkeystyle

Reaction score
To say that WWE has no responsibility at all is incredibly ignorant.

MizMasta3000

I never said that. I said that if a wrestler hasnt worked in say 10 yrs. he dies for substance abuse, WWE really cant be held accountable, even though in some way, they should

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
What do you do if they are former wrestlers? Not working? Thats why I said WWE should have lifetime health benefits

Thing is, is that the WWE's whole system of how they operate should be revised. There's no union there's no nothing. Just work whenever I tell you to, be wherever i tell you too and you'll get paid however much I wanna pay you. Something happens to you we'll take care of it our way, its in your contract. He doesn't even pay royalties to his 80 stars for fucks sakes.

There is a lot of behind the curtain operations that we are not aware of. This whole business is shadier then fuck

noumenon

I'm reading Bret's book right now. If anything opens your eyes to what these guys endure, it's his book. The blame can't be rested solely on either the wrestler's or company's shoulder. It's a horrible cycle.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
It's a carny business, what do you expect. And it's not just the WWE either it's the entire godforsaken business.

But the thing is the WWE is the leader of these businesses and none of them are going to change unless they make the efforts first.

noumenon

Yup, steroids, pain killers and other shit is more common in smaller promotions actually. Less screening for the stuff, more pressure to have your big break, no health insurance so quick healing is must...ect.

Kizza

It's horrible. Vince works them hard as fuck, and they obviously need something to dull the pain. Nice to see he gets rid of them just as the problem starts or peaks backstage, just so he's not responsible. He needs to be held liable, because he's a fucking prick.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Vince does let them have time off but that just means, their spot might be open meaning less money in the bank, no?

Kizza

Absolutely. See, Rey Mysterio currently. He wants the WM paycheck, not for it to go to someone else.

noumenon

Bottom line, unlike other professional athletes, if you're not there... you're not getting paid. Most of these guys simply opt to work through the pain and medicate themselves to death.

Kizza

Well, wrestling is the only "sport" without a "players" association.