WrestleMania 29 Sets Earnings Record for WWE, Preliminary Pay-Per-View Buy Estimate

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
WWE announced Thursday that WrestleMania 29 set a record as the highest grossing event in company history, earning $72 million. The figure is up from the $67 million grossed by WrestleMania 28 last year.

WWE issued a press release stating that the show will once again exceed 1 million pay-per-view buys worldwide. A preliminary estimate revealed to Variety show that WrestleMania 29 will reach 1.2 million buys on pay-per-view, less than the record 1.3 million sold for last year's event. However, it was noted that the number could still increase.

Highest Grossing WrestleMania® Ever

STAMFORD, Conn., April 25, 2013 – WWE® (NYSE:WWE) today announced that WrestleMania 29, held Sunday, April 7 at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, grossed an excess of $72 million, the highest grossing event in WWE history. In addition, WrestleMania 29 will once again exceed 1 million global pay-per-view buys and attracted a sold out crowd of 80,676 fans from all 50 states and 34 countries at MetLife Stadium.

New Orleans, Louisiana will be the site of next year’s WrestleMania, which will take place Sunday, April 6, 2014 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Ticket information will be announced later this year.
Damn good results for a card that supposedly nobody was interested in for numerous reason. So who's ready for Rock/Cena: The Trilogy :vince2:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Re: WrestleMania 29 Sets Earnings Record for WWE, Preliminary Pay-Per-View Buy Estima

Damn good results for a card that supposedly nobody was interested in for numerous reason. So who's ready for Rock/Cena: The Trilogy :vince2:

I'll wait for the proper figures before commenting.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Re: WrestleMania 29 Sets Earnings Record for WWE, Preliminary Pay-Per-View Buy Estima

This is sad news, I'm glad they are doing great business and will be around for a while yet but creatively they are on a par with some of the worst years on record, makes me think they'll take an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to things when clearly something needs changing.

The actual event itself wasn't that bad, but people buy PPV's based on build up, so no idea what anyone saw in this. I guess Mania just sells itself nowdays.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score

That's pretty damn impressive. I'm sure the PPV buys would have been better if it wasn't so bloody expensive.

AF.

Reaction score

Rock/Cena 3 here we come.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

Yeah, this will definitely be a cause for a trilogy without question. I'm totally not disputing that. May as well book it now. Hopefully they get it out of the way at SummerSlam though and leave Wrestlemania 30's card alone.

Reaction score

Rock/Cena III, who cares? Austin/Rock happened three times but noone ever complains about that series of match ups, noone ever complains about Undertaker & Triple H squaring off three times, it makes no sense.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5

Rock/Cena III, who cares? Austin/Rock happened three times but noone ever complains about that series of match ups, noone ever complains about Undertaker & Triple H squaring off three times, it makes no sense.

That's because those matches were good. Both Rock vs Cena matches have been incredibly boring, and quite terrible.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Don't you think there is a reason for that obviously then? Even though some didn't want to see a 3rd Taker/HHH match me being one of them. If someone didn't think the matches were good no shit they aren't going to want to see more matches wouldn't make sense to not complain in that case. Rock/Austin's 2nd match is one of the best WWE matches ever and Taker/HHH had some match of the year candidates something you can't exactly say about Cena/Rock. The piss poor build up for their last match esp for their standards doesn't help either.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh

Can't say I'm that surprised to be honest.

In many ways this was the Hangover II of WrestleMania's. We've seen it all before, and people knew what to expect, but maybe that was the exact thing that attracted all those people to buy it. Lazy build-ups and predictable outcomes just doesn't seem to matter to most fans. And of course, this is coming from someone who bought the show, so I can't exactly talk. They knew what they were doing, and it paid off with flying colours.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki

Oh my god it beat last year's Wrestlemania! Don't they always break their own record?

Rock/Cena II is on par with Sid/Taker or Sid/Hogan being one of the worst Wrestlemania main events ever. Of course we shouldn't have to endure that again.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Find it odd that people are nit picking something that is a proven draw. Hate it or not, Rock/Cena was a draw. It's not happening again so don't fret. But everyone should be thanking all these supposed half time stars who are bringing more fans to your product and making it look cooler than it has been for along time,

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Just cause something is a draw doesn't mean you can't criticize it and have to just accept it and not say anything about it. Match can be a draw all it wants but unless any of us are getting a check from WWE it doesn't actually concern us how much it draws just how entertaining it is or isn't.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Just cause something is a draw doesn't mean you can't criticize it and have to just accept it and not say anything about it. Match can be a draw all it wants but unless any of us are getting a check from WWE it doesn't actually concern us how much it draws just how entertaining it is or isn't.

You can criticize it all you want, but it being a draw is all the proof you need for justifying such a supposed lame mainevent. I didn't find it boring if I'm being honest, and the crowd at the event didn't find it boring, because they actually got off their hands unlike the Triple H/Brock Lesnar match.

Criticize all you want, just accept the facts.

Reaction score

So the 1.2mil people that brought it didn't find it entertaining? Jeez, I didn't realize a small majority of fans are the one that dictate how exciting of a match it was. In honesty, Austin/Rock I was a worst match than Rock/Cena II, but people stuck about for a great second match, albeit it's terribly overrated and one of the best Wrestlemania Matches I've seen in Rock/Austin III.

The only problem I had with Rock/Cena II was the finish, they whored out their signature finishers, it fell flat, if Cena got Rock in the STFU and held it for a while for the finish, then my god, the match would of came across ten times better.