WrestleMania Wrestlemania 20,30,40 and so on

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Yeah backstage sources said it was a "Fuck you" to CM Punk saying "This could have been you"

Why would that be? Punk wasn't originally scheduled to wrestle in the triple threat main event (and reports even say that Hunter may have originally been booked to go over him at Mania anyway.) In fact, I conclude that Bryan would have made it into the WWE Championship match even if Punk didn't walk out. The reason he was slotted in there to win the title was to counter the negative crowd reactions that the match would have received if it had just been Orton versus Batista, and considering that same problem would have existed even if Punk had stayed with the company and faced Triple H as planned, Bryan would have found his way into the title match (and become champion) regardless.

As for the topic, I think it's just a coincidence that the big anniversary Wrestlemania events have always ended with a smaller superstar known more for their wrestling ability than their charisma or larger-than-life personalities winning the championship. The original planned match this year was Randy Orton versus Batista, and if Batista hadn't returned to a huge lukewarm response, that plan would have likely stuck. I wouldn't expect a triple threat match or even a smaller wrestler ('vanilla midget' as some would call them) winning the world title every decade that a Wrestlemania ends in zero.

Reactions: Swift

HunterHearstJericho

The Artiste
Reaction score
Why would that be? Punk wasn't originally scheduled to wrestle in the triple threat main event (and reports even say that Hunter may have originally been booked to go over him at Mania anyway.) In fact, I conclude that Bryan would have made it into the WWE Championship match even if Punk didn't walk out. The reason he was slotted in there to win the title was to counter the negative crowd reactions that the match would have received if it had just been Orton versus Batista, and considering that same problem would have existed even if Punk had stayed with the company and faced Triple H as planned, Bryan would have found his way into the title match (and become champion) regardless.

As for the topic, I think it's just a coincidence that the big anniversary Wrestlemania events have always ended with a smaller superstar known more for their wrestling ability than their charisma or larger-than-life personalities winning the championship. The original planned match this year was Randy Orton versus Batista, and if Batista hadn't returned to a huge lukewarm response, that plan would have likely stuck. I wouldn't expect a triple threat match or even a smaller wrestler ('vanilla midget' as some would call them) winning the world title every decade that a Wrestlemania ends in zero.
As for the Punk thing I remember reading that after the match was accepted at Mania with the stipulation of DB getting a shot if he won the match, than it was said WWE would push him I think Punk was the original one to push and maybe Bryan as well and it would have been a fatal 4 way.

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
No, just a coincidence. I don't think they have it planned every 10 years to have a triple threat match for the title.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
As for the Punk thing I remember reading that after the match was accepted at Mania with the stipulation of DB getting a shot if he won the match, than it was said WWE would push him I think Punk was the original one to push and maybe Bryan as well and it would have been a fatal 4 way.

I never read anything like that. If that were the case, then I doubt Punk would have even walked out since a large part of his frustration was that he was being booked in a match against Triple H instead of for the championship in the main event. Punk was led to believe that WMXXX was his big moment to finally main event Wrestlemania (his ultimate dream) and when he realized that wasn't going to happen, he left (at least that's part of the reason why, according to speculation.)

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
The reason they turned Batista heel (creating the possibility of a triple threat match) is because Vince thought he could persuade Punk to come back at the next week's RAW in Chicago and he had a Mania spot ready for him.

HunterHearstJericho

The Artiste
Reaction score
I never read anything like that. If that were the case, then I doubt Punk would have even walked out since a large part of his frustration was that he was being booked in a match against Triple H instead of for the championship in the main event. Punk was led to believe that WMXXX was his big moment to finally main event Wrestlemania (his ultimate dream) and when he realized that wasn't going to happen, he left (at least that's part of the reason why, according to speculation.)
I think I can find the sheet where it says that
It was never expected that Daniel Bryan will get a match against Triple H at WrestleMania XXX. But bad attitude of CM punk of not coming to WWE for WrestleMania XXX made WWE push Daniel Bryan for the match with Triple H.

It is believed that this push by WWE and Daniel Bryan’s ‘Occupy Raw’ segment at Monday night Raw on March 10th, 2014 was done to give a ‘Middle Finger’ to Punk.
+ I believe in the start of the "Yes Movement" Punk was mentioned as a form of a insult.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
This speculation that Punk would have been put into the main event if not for his departure doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It wasn't Punk that was the center of the "Yes!" Movement. And that's what led to the triple threat.

Most likely, they would have either had Bryan directed toward a "side feud", possibly with Sheamus or Cesaro, and having to be pulled from that feud to be put into the main event (wouldn't have been a problem, whoever would have just been put into the Andre BR). Meanwhile, it was planned to have Punk vs. HHH. They wouldn't have changed that match. The only possibilities for "sheanigans" (not the negative connotation here) would be setting up the main event to be a fatal 4-way with Punk in it (I still think Bryan wins it....one of Punk's gripes apparently was that Bryan deserved a real title reign, not that Punk wasn't in the main event at Mania), with Punk having to beat HHH for the privilege, or that Bryan had to beat Kane to earn his way into the triple threat/fatal 4-way main event match.

wk

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
I think I can find the sheet where it says that

+ I believe in the start of the "Yes Movement" Punk was mentioned as a form of a insult.

It was more of a middle finger towards the fans who tried to hijack Raw in Punk's favor the week before in Chicago than it was towards Punk himself.

Reactions: HunterHearstJericho

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Lol, like Punk deserved to be in this year's WM's ME. I like the guy, but he wasn't doing anything special before he left.

Reactions: Wacokid27