Would Punk still get a pop if he returned?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I was sitting here arguing with a buddy & he said if Punk returned tomorrow he would get an "even bigger" pop than he would've received before the fight.

I'm not so sure about that...

I mean, I won't deny it, if he would have been #30 at the Rumble LAST YEAR, with Roman being the guy in the ring, it may have been the biggest pop anyone has ever gotten but now I'm not even sure if he would get a pop at all. I just feel like people are embarrassed to call themselves Punk fans now.

Which is silly if you ask me because everybody was all "I respect this guy" before the fight & if he won, he would've been WAY over & people wouldn't be bashing him. Shows you people's priorities judging people because they lost a sports competition.

However my question is:

Could he have a successful run if he came back tomorrow... would it be the same kind of pop?

(YES I KNOW HE ISN'T GOING TO RETURN... JUST FOR FUN... COMPLETE WHAT IF SCENARIO)

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I mean.... SOME people would cheer yes but I don't think it would be the same

Maybe the whole "we still love you, don't be ashamed, you tried your best" thing would catch on I dunno... I guess it depends on the crowd
Who cares that he got his ass kicked? Wrestling isn't MMA. He spent far more time wrestling than LARPing as Chuck Liddell. I don't see why anyone would care other than the fanatical anti-Punk crowd. Obviously it won't be the same level of popularity he had prior since he was in the fans' eyes for a while, but I don't see why he wouldn't get cheered whenever he's a big star and an entertaining performer in most people's eyes.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
If Punk shows up on sunday he would get a massive pop period

Crash

Reaction score
I think this is a no brainer... He would get the biggest pop for sure.

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
Of course he would get a pop.. Not sure why, but he seems to be on every wrestling fans mind all the time.

It's not like he was that entertaining before he left and he's just embarrassed himself the last 4 years.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
It's not like he was that entertaining before he left and he's just embarrassed himself the last 4 years.
I think Punk is the reason why AJ is WWE champion rn. He has had a massive influence on WWE. I remember during his title reign he was consistently the most over babyface every week. Can't deny that.

Crash

Reaction score
I think Punk is the reason why AJ is WWE champion rn. He has had a massive influence on WWE. I remember during his title reign he was consistently the most over babyface every week. Can't deny that.

WTF? No no no, AJ is WWE champion because of AJ Styles, because he is truly one of the best in the world. Don't know how you came up with that idea that Punk could have anything to do with AJ Styles being champion in 2018, four years after Punk is long gone.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
WTF? No no no, AJ is WWE champion because of AJ Styles, because he is truly one of the best in the world. Don't know how you came up with that idea that Punk could have anything to do with AJ Styles being champion in 2018, five years after Punk is long gone.
Punk influenced WWE to go into a new era. Nuff said. Gave opportunities for indie talent. WWE wouldn't even have signed AJ if it wasn't for Bryan and Punk.

Reactions: MildlyUpsetGerbil

Crash

Reaction score
Punk influenced WWE to go into a new era. Nuff said. Gave opportunities for indie talent. WWE wouldn't even have signed AJ if it wasn't for Bryan and Punk.

WWE was signing talents from the indies long before that, Punk and Bryan themselves were indie talents that WWE recruited, and you could go back to the 80s, they were using talents from every other territories. It has been that way forever. I'm not taking anything away from Punk or Bryan, but let's be honest here, AJ is where he is because of his talent and not because of someone else before him.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
WWE was signing talents from the indies long before that, Punk and Bryan themselves were indie talents that WWE recruited, and you could go back to the 80s, they were using talents from every other territories. It has been that way forever. I'm not taking anything away from Punk or Bryan, but let's be honest here, AJ is where he is because of his talent and not because of someone else before him.
I'm saying that Punk had a huge influence on the changes that have occured in WWE over the years. Countless of wrestlers have said that Punk and Bryan have opened more opportunities for indie talent.

Back to the my original point, CM Punk had a massive impact.

Crash

Reaction score
I'm saying that Punk had a huge influence on the changes that have occured in WWE over the years.

Back to the my original point, CM Punk had a massive impact.

I massively disagree.

And after that people wonder why I say CM Punk is overrated?

"CM PUNK IS THE REASON AJ STYLES IS CHAMPION"

Give me a break...

Countless of wrestlers have said that Punk and Bryan have opened more opportunities for indie talent.

Can you name every of the "COUNTLESS" wrestlers? I can't think of any...

Oh yeah, I know one...CM Punk himself told that he was responsible for Bryan winning the title at WM 30, right?