Would Fans These Days Accept a "Bruno Reign?"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Viper

Reaction score
....no, I don't mean having Bruno win the title, although, what a pop that would get in MSG, huh? :lol:

I'm gonna assume everyone knows what I mean but I'll explain anyway. I'm currently watching the new History of the WWE Blu Ray set and there's a chapter on Bruno and his two illustrious WWF Title reigns. Both reigns in total lasting 11 years. Now, we all know that these days, wrestling fans have a high case of ADD. Yeah, some complain about WWE playing 'hot potato' with the World Titles sometimes, but a lot of fans nowadays would probably wanna see a new champion every few months to 'keep it fresh'.

As seen by Punk's 434 day reign as WWE Champion in 2011-2013, that was an exception, but can we ever have another champion lasting longer than 3, maybe 4 years and the fans accepting it without bitching and complaining "WE WANTZ NEW CHAMPZ RIGHT NAO~!!"? As I was watching this, I was thinking whether or not some of you think that would be acceptable in this day and age.

Swinny

Reaction score
Re: Would Fans These Days Accept A "Bruno Reign"?

Nah, would never work. Things are different nowadays with TV, PPVs and everything else. A year or a little more, like Punk's reign, is about the longest you're probably going to get these days.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I honestly can't see a superstar holding the major championship in any wrestling for two years straight much less anything longer than that. You can only have so many main events with one person always being one half of them. The closest I'll ever come to accepting a long reign like that was CM Punk. I would rode that thing until it's last legs because if there's one guy that keep my interest in the product it's Punk. And I would love for his name to be in the top 5 record of longest reigns in history. Alas most other people got bored with Punk and even turned on him. I honestly can't see another year long reign for a seriously long time. And if John Cena EVER has a world title that long again, I'll lose all interest altogether.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Sadly no with the attention span of people today and the constant influx of media and knowledge when it comes to wrestling there is just no way people wouldn't get sick of them. I mean when Bruno was king they only had events every few weeks and they would bring in different challengers from all over the territories and it was fresh because people hadn't seen them before but we see every wrestler we want all the time now just by the click of a button. I loved Punk's reign and I could have gone with it reaching the two year mark but anything after that and the fans will revolt.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I honestly can't see a superstar holding the major championship in any wrestling for two years straight much less anything longer than that. You can only have so many main events with one person always being one half of them. The closest I'll ever come to accepting a long reign like that was CM Punk. I would rode that thing until it's last legs because if there's one guy that keep my interest in the product it's Punk. And I would love for his name to be in the top 5 record of longest reigns in history. Alas most other people got bored with Punk and even turned on him. I honestly can't see another year long reign for a seriously long time. And if John Cena EVER has a world title that long again, I'll lose all interest altogether.

What if Cena was a heel during that reign.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I personally wouldn't want that as it would get increasingly boring and stale as time went on. I thought the length of Punk's reign as a Champion was great as I do agree that Titles are passed around too much nowadays. I'd like to see lengthier title reigns like Punks for a year or so but imo any longer than 2 years would just get boring.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
What if Cena was a heel during that reign.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
That's a very big if. If he was a very good heel and entertained me, I might be okay with being under Punk's 434 days. No gimmick will make me want him to surpass Punk.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
if he reverts back to the Dr

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
if he reverts back to the Dr
He never should have given that up. He was dynamite in 2002 and early 2003. He entertained and even worked harder in the ring. I miss those days.

TeamPoser101

Reaction score
He never should have given that up. He was dynamite in 2002 and early 2003. He entertained and even worked harder in the ring. I miss those days.

I really didn't hate him in 2005 either, I think he was still putting on decent matches and he had his own character that kinda worked. But I knew as soon as he changed his finisher to "Attitude Adjustment", that it was going to be all downhill from there. His last good feud he was in was when he went up against K-FED hahaha.

As for the original question though, absolutely not. Two reasons it worked with Bruno so well. One is that in the new york territory at that time, the talent was not over saturated. He went around the entire country facing different opponents, so he wasn't in the bucket with the same wrestlers. Plus, when he did do MSG, they weren't there every single week, so a lot of the fans didn't see him every single week, or in case with current wrestling, even more than that. It's the same reason that Bruno as champion would not have worked down in a territory like Carolina or Mid South where they came back to the same place week after week. He would've been too over saturated and the fans quite frankly would've gotten sick of him.

The other reason why this would not work is that back in the 60's, pro wrestling was still thought of by many as legitimate. So, they could play off that Bruno was just so much better than all the other wrestlers at WRESTLING and he was their baby face hero, who would take out the bad guys. They believed in his hero image and believed that he legitimately was kicking all the heel's asses. People know it's staged, so anytime someone does come in with a huge title reign, they either think that individual is a master of politics (Triple H's 2003 reign which I remember soooo many people complained about) or that the writing is just getting stale and they are running out of ideas. And in an age where we can get on youtube and watch any wrestler on the planet all day everyday, the people would get sick of them. Punk's reign is about as long as you would be able to go honestly, and that is only because in a lot of minds, he really is the absolute best in the world, so his gimmick to a lot of fans is true.