World Wrestling Entertainment - Bringing back the Attitude

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Reaction score
Logo.png

World Wrestling Entertainment – Bringing Back the Attitude​

The biggest wrestling company in professional wrestling, the WWE, has been criticized by many wrestling fans in recent years for being boring and booking the same old matches and storylines. Many fans even went as far as to switch over to other upstart wrestling promotions such as TNA and ROH. In 2008 came the final straw, Raw ratings fell further down than ever before, even reaching a 2.9 in January.

However the WWE tried to pull back viewers by pushing that a wrestler would be returning at the upcoming Royal Rumble. Fans bought the Pay-Per-View, not to see boring World Title Matches, but to see who would return, they weren’t pleased. The mystery wrestler turned out to be multiple-time WWE Champion John Cena, as soon as fans realised he was the mystery wrestler, it was the end of watching a company they had enjoyed watching for so many years.

But WWE Chairman Vince McMahon was optimistic that WWE’s biggest show of the year, Wrestlemania 24 would bring back viewers. He was wrong. McMahon booked John Cena in the main event against Triple H, who had wrestled at the event two years ago. Instead of giving rising stars such as Jeff Hardy, Mr. Kennedy and Carlito a chance in the spotlight. Ironically the three got to take part in the Money in the Bank match that took part that night. It was nothing to be pleased about though.

Vince McMahon decided to run a storyline where him and Triple H dominated the WWE and destroyed everyone in their path, therefore they wanted to play this angle on the night in meaningless backstage angles burying upcoming wrestlers. The Money in the Bank match was reduced to 7 minutes as a result of the backstage angle. It came as an even bigger shock when WWE veteran Shawn Michaels won the match.

Finally after taking up half an hour of air time during the show, Triple H and John Cena went out to a half filled Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida. Triple H successfully defended the WWE Championship in a 25-minute match which featured 13 of the minutes on the mat with rest holds.

The buyrate came in for Wrestlemania a few months later and it wasn’t good at all. Mania managed an abysmal 450,000 buys, compared to over a million buys the previous year. Many wrestling insiders thought this would open Vince’s eyes and push newer stars. They couldn’t be more wrong.

At Backlash, McMahon and Triple H unveiled there third member of the group, who was to be 54 year old Hulk Hogan. Fans booed at the once fan favourite, not for joining McMahon and Triple H, but for actually coming back altogether. The WWE camera team didn’t do McMahon a favour either when one camera was shown on the crowd, where fans started to walk out of the arena. After the show went off the air the cameraman was fired.

Raw ratings continued to plummet, even going down to a 2.5 one week, while Smackdown was down to a 1.9 as wrestlers were continuing to be sent to Raw as random Draft Picks. Raw got Batista, Undertaker and Edge, while Smackdown got Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Paul London and Hardcore Holly.

In June Vince McMahon decided to give ECW a much needed helping hand by making the upcoming One Night Stand Pay-Per-View an ECW only PPV. When the day came, the main event was pushed as Tommy Dreamer vs. CM Punk for the ECW World championship, the match was never seen.

When the show opened, Vince McMahon, Triple H and Hulk Hogan walked down to the ring, causing original ECW fans to riot. Chairs were thrown in the ring and many directed at the three, one of the chairs even hit Triple H, which knocked one of his teeth out. After a 20 minute worthless promo, the 15,000 attendance to an 8,000 attendance.

One Night Stand drew 100,000 buys and subsequently Vince McMahon wasn’t happy at how the fans reacted to his promo. On June 27, 2008 McMahon called a press conference in Stamford, Connecticut announcing that the ECW brand was closed.

McMahon also fired all of the ECW Roster, which received a huge reaction from the remainder of WWE fans who thought that those on the ECW Roster could help the Raw and Smackdown Brands.

It was a poor July for the WWE, Raw ratings slipped to an average of a 1.8, while Smackdown fell to a 1.5. The Great American Bash was the last lifeline for fans of the promotion. The Bash drew 125, 000 buys with a Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels WWE Championship Match. Michaels used his Money in the Bank Contract for the match, but Triple H retained once again with a huge amount of outside interference. HHH’s 8 month reign was starting to bore the fans.

Finally Vince McMahon decided to hire a new writer who would book Raw and Smackdown, as well as all the Pay-Per-Views. His name was Alex Moss, and from the July 21 Raw onwards would be bringing back the attitude.

rosewt01

Reaction score
Website
www.123.co.uk
Favorite Wrestler
abyss
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Fantastic backstory. This looks great when will you post the rosters?

McLovin

Reaction score
Saturday 19th July 2008

Good Backstory and Good Luck with this

Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy the BTB.

Fantastic backstory. This looks great when will you post the rosters?

I'm not going to post the Rosters, but I will be posting alot more information on the BTB as soon as possible.

World Wrestling Entertainment Title Histories From 2008 onwards

WWE Championship

Triple H

bt. Randy Orton
Royal Rumble
27/01/2008

Triple H won his 11th World Championship by defeating Randy Orton at Madison Square Garden after executing his trademark finishing move, the Pedigree.

Intercontinental Championship

Chris Jericho

bt. Jeff Hardy
Raw
10/03/2008

Chris Jericho won a record setting 8th time, by defeating then Champion Jeff Hardy on a Special 3-hour edition of Raw.

Umaga
bt. Chris Jericho and Mr. Kennedy
Judgment Day
18/05/2008

Umaga won his third Intercontinental Championship in a hectic Triple Threat Match after pinning Mr. Kennedy with the Samoan Spike.

Jeff Hardy
bt. Umaga
Raw
07/07/2008

Jeff Hardy won his fifth Intercontinental Championship after pinning Umaga after executing the Swanton Bomb.

World Tag-Team Championships

Cody Rhodes and Hardcore Holly

bt. Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch
Raw
10/12/2007

Cody Rhodes won his first WWE gold with mentor Hardcore Holly on the special 15 Anniversary Edition of Raw against Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch.

Womens Championship

Mickie James

bt. Beth Phoenix
Raw
14/04/2008

In London, England, Mickie James finally defeated “The Glamazonâ€￾ after a roll-up won her back the Womens Championship.

Melina
bt. Mickie James and Beth Phoenix
Night of Champions
29/06/2008

In a vicious Triple Threat Match, Melina won the Womens Championship after pinning Mickie James.

Beth Phoenix
bt. Melina
Great American Bash
20/07/2008

The Glamazon won her second Womens Championship by defeating Melina with her finishing move the Flight of the Phoenix.

World Heavyweight Championship

Undertaker

bt. Edge
Wrestlemania 24
30/03/2008

In front of 40,000 WWE fans, The Undertaker became World Heavyweight Champion after defeating Edge with the Gogolplata.

MVP
bt. Undertaker
Judgment Day
18/05/2008

In one of the biggest shocks in wrestling history, Montel Vontanious Porter won his first World Championship after defeating the legendary Undertaker with the Playmaker.

United States Championship

Matt Hardy

bt. MVP
Backlash
27/04/2008

Matt Hardy finally beat MVP and subsequently became the new United States Champion. Hardy hit the Twist of Fate to seal the victory.

Rey Mysterio
bt. Matt Hardy
Smackdown
04/06/2008

Rey Mysterio came back from injury with a bang, becoming the surprise opponent for Matt Hardy and winning his first United States Championship.

WWE Tag-Team Championships

John Morrison and The Miz

bt. Matt Hardy and MVP
Smackdown
16/11/2007

In a big shock, John Morrison and The Miz captured the WWE Tag-Team Championships after defeating the dysfunctional team of Matt Hardy and MVP.

Jesse and Festus
bt. John Morrison and The Miz
Smackdown
30/05/2008

Jesse and Festus won their first piece of WWE gold when they defeated John Morrison and The Miz in a hard fought match on Smackdown.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Lol, i can so relate WWE to this.

It has got a bit boring, but, business is business

Looking forward to your first show ;)

McLovin

Reaction score
Saturday 19th July 2008

Lol, i can so relate WWE to this.

It has got a bit boring, but, business is business

Looking forward to your first show ;)

Thanks. I hope you enjoy the BTB. Oh and below is where I am going to keep links to all of my shows so new readers can go to this post, click on a show and read it.

World Wrestling Entertainment Schedule

Great American Bash

Long Island, NC.

Raw

Mohegan, Sun.

Smackdown

Philadelphia, Pa.

Raw

Washington, DC.​

Smackdown

Hershey, Pa.

CT Styles

Good backstory, pretty unique. I'll be checking this out, you obviously have worked hard on this.

Check out UWA if ya want, Ignition is up.

The Anigma

Reaction score
It looks like you've put a lot of thought into this BTB. I think it's pretty creative and backstory is alright imo. I'm looking forward to your first show and I'll be reading.

McLovin

Reaction score
Sunday 20th July 2008

Good backstory, pretty unique. I'll be checking this out, you obviously have worked hard on this.

Check out UWA if ya want, Ignition is up.

Thanks for the support. I want this BTB to work, all of my other ones haven't been very good so this is make or break for me.

It looks like you've put a lot of thought into this BTB. I think it's pretty creative and backstory is alright imo. I'm looking forward to your first show and I'll be reading.

Thanks Anigma. Hope you enjoy what I as a booker have to offer.

GBALogo.png

Quick Results

July 20, 2008
Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Attendance: 8,250

Rey Mysterio bt. Matt Hardy to retain the United States Championship, after reversing Hardy’s attempt of a Twist of Fate, and pushed him into the bottom ropes. Mysterio ran across the ring to Hardy and hit his patented 619. Hardy flew back into the middle of the ring. Mysterio then jumped onto the top ropes and executed a Splash that was able to get the pinfall over the United States Champion.

Beth Phoenix defeated Melina to win the Womens Championship after dominating most of the match, Phoenix tried her Flight of the Phoenix finisher, but Melina wasn’t finished yet. Melina tried an attempt at a DDT but Phoenix reversed and finally executed the Flight of the Phoenix for the pinfall victory.

Paul London beat Vladamir Kozlov in a true David vs Goliath story. Kozlov used all his power moves to go en route to an easy victory, but London didn’t give up and got a schoolboy roll-up to get the victory via pinfall.

Jeff Hardy beat Umaga to retain his Intercontinental Championship in a very hard fought match. Hardy took the advantage early on, but Umaga was able to use his strength and power over Hardy’s speed and agility to take advantage of the next proportion of the match. Hardy turned the match around when he dodged the Samoan Spike and ran to the top rope and executed the Whisper in the Wind to get the pinfall victory.

MVP retained his World Heavyweight Championship against Smackdown Colour Commentator Mick Foley. MVP had been disrespecting Foley for weeks, up to the point where Foley issued the challenge of a World Title Match, MVP accepted the challenge with a s♂♂♂♂♂♂. Foley matched up to MVP on all aspects of the match, MVP was only able to retain the belt when he hit Foley with a Steel Chair while the referee was knocked out.

Triple H retained his WWE Championship against long time friend/enemy Shawn Michaels. In a match that was covered in controversy, “The Gameâ€￾ was able to beat Michaels with a huge amount of outside interference from Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan and a little friend known as the Sledgehammer.

The Anigma

Reaction score
The results of the Great American Bash look pretty good. I'm getting more and more curious about your first show. A lot of those matches had/have the potential to deliver and I'm looking forward to what's next with this BTB.

McLovin

Reaction score
Monday 21st July 2008

The results of the Great American Bash look pretty good. I'm getting more and more curious about your first show. A lot of those matches had/have the potential to deliver and I'm looking forward to what's next with this BTB.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Anigma.

header_logo.gif

Last night's Great American Bash is said to be in the 100,000 region. This isn't very good for the WWE whose Pay-Per-View buyrates have slipped dramatically this year. Although Vince McMahon is optimistic that Summerslam in a month's time will draw bigger ratings.

The backstage morale has been noted by WWE wrestlers as the equivalent of the late years of WCW. Triple H, Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan have been heard saying that they should have more air time.

For tonight's Raw, rumours are going around that there will be an 8-man Gauntlet to determine Triple H's opponent for Summerslam. Word has been going around that Shawn Michaels will get the victory and take the belt from Triple H at Summerslam.

TNA's Victory Road drew 100,000 buys, this is considerably better than there abysmal Sacrifice buyrate, which lead to Slammiversary being cancelled. He main-event was AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle which many regard as one of the best matches in TNA history. Morale is high after this spectacular match and spectacular Pay-Per-View, which saw all TNA wrestlers step up into their A game to apologize for the poor showing of Sacrifice.

TNA president Dixie Carter is expecting Impact ratings to boost after Victory Road's fantastic main-event. The first week after the Pay-Per-View drew a 0.9, and the following week drew a 1.0.

Qwake

This looks pretty good, the backstory was quite good, its just a little confusing to read who is champ and all of that. in the first post you should have the champs and everything but you don't need the roster and all of that.

Well anyways it looks good and ill try and read it once you post it, try and stick with this.

Check out TNE if you want, Impact is up...

McLovin

Reaction score
Monday 21st July 2008

Courtesy of WWE.COM

Triple H Conquers All

Last night in front of thousands of screaming WWE fans, Triple H continued his impressive reign as WWE Champion, when he defeated longtime friend/enemy Shawn Michaels. But for Triple H this wasn't just another victory to add to one of his most longest reigns as World Champion, it was more than that.

When Triple H joined the WWE in the 1990's after being deemed not good enough by WCW, he immediatly found a friendship with Shawn Michaels, him, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Michaels were known collectivly as the Kliq. A group that were never seen on screen together, but off screen were the best of allies.

However the two were on screen from late 1997 onwards as a group collectivly known as D-Generation X. A group that spread mischief over the company and dominated the WWE in the next few years.

But when the two crossed paths in the ring, it was never a walk in the park. As seen on several examples at Summerslam 2002, Armageddon 2002 and Royal Rumble 2004. The two didn't stop at nothing to defeat the other. That was evident last night at the Great American Bash.

The two didn't let old friendships get in there way, instead they had one of the greatest matches this year, but at the end there was only one sole survivor and that was Triple H.

This victory meant that Triple H was the better of the two in more ways than one. The Gameis in his 11th reign as World Champion and has all eyes on beating Ric Flair's record of 16 before he hangs up his boots.

Michaels however has considerably less World Championships to his name and hasn't held the World Title since 2002. That's nearly six years since he has had a World Title round his waist. It is clearly evident that Michaels is getting desperate.

Who knows what Michaels next move will be to get the gold around his waist, but one thing is for sure, Triple H doesn't look like giving his WWE Championship away for nothing.

Ooc: I started Raw last night and wrote 1,500 words, 600+ of those being the first match. I'm on Part 3 of raw right now, as I split the shows into 6 parts when I write and write one part at a time. I will post the shows full though.

The Anigma

Reaction score
This looks very thought-out and it's well done on your part. I'm looking forward to Raw, man.

McLovin

Reaction score
Monday 21st July 2008

Courtesy of WWE.COM

MVP Dominates Again

Montel Vontanious Porter will have been with World Wrestling Entertainment for 2 years come this October, but in the past 2 years MVP has been called a lot of names. Most fans boo him when his entrance music hits and he arrogantly struts down to the ring, but one thing fans never disagree with is that he has achieved a hell of a lot this year.

At the beginning of his tenture with the WWE, most fans laughed at him, mainly because of his ring gear, MVP began his career here with the chants of Poweranger instead of his name.

But this year has proved all the doubters wrong and has cemented his place in WWE history with a tremendous year, but tis not over yet. MVP began the year with a lose to retired wrestling legend Ric Flair, but he soon turned things around and narrowly lost the Money in the Bank match at Wrestlemania 24.

MVP really started getting the wins when he got an impressive series of wins over former World Heavyweight Champion batista, but MVP's reign as United States Champion ended at Backlash after an impressive 11 month streak, eventually losing to Matt Hardy.

The defeat didn't put MVP down, it got him ready. Ready to move up and contend for Smackdown's top prize. The World Heavyweight Championship. MVP took his work seriously and won a Championship Chase on Smackdown to take on then Champion The Undertaker at Judgment Day.

In one of the biggest shocks in WWE history, MVP was able to defeat The Phenom and win his first World Heavyweight Championship. However over the next few months is when MVP proved all the doubters that his win over The Undertaker was not a fluke.

Wins over the likes of Finlay, Matt Hardy and last night Hardcore Legend Mick Foley prove that MVP is ready to lead Smackdown to the future, with him at the top of the brand. The next question is though who will MVP's next opponent be. The Undertaker, Batista and Edge have all moved to raw, leaving limited challengers on Smackdown. But whoever his next challenger will be, MVP will once again stake his claim as the very best in the WWE.

Ooc: Raw is coming along very nicely. I only have two matches left to do and I should have it posted by the end of the day. Oh and the reason behind these articles is to make some realism to the BTB, I post 2 Articles after each show, so this one was the last after the Great American Bash.

Status
Not open for further replies.