Will Cenas heel turn make as big of an impact as Hogans did?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

get_brunk

Reaction score
No, it won't have near the impact Hogan's turn did. Hogan was THE face in the world for over a decade. Hogan was known in many circles besides wrestling. (Try as they might, the WWE hasn't been as successful as inundating the rest of the entertainment world with Cena as they did Hogan.) He was in a new company (as a face) who was struggling to compete when it happened. It was 13+ years ago. Times have changed too much for it to be able to have that impact, I believe.

Reaction score
Its not going to happen anytime soon though. Vince likes to make money. People already boo him already, at least he wont get a mixed reaction when he comes out.

OrtonMark54

Reaction score
No...Cena will end up up getting cheered just like the Rock did when he turned heel.

Reaction score
Really? I don"t remember anybody cheering for the Rock during his days with NOD. Another big difference was that The Rock HAD to turn heel because he sucked as a face.

noumenon

Reaction score
It'll simply be a switch of who cheers him and who boos him. The little children will hiss and cry, everyone else will love it.
But as I've said many times. The day Cena does turn heel I don't want to see what's going on in the ring. I want the camera to catch as many children's broken hearted reactions as possible.

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
When Cena and RVD had that match in 2006 for ECW ONS, it was the closest to a heel Cena we'll see in a while. He put his feet on the ropes, he argued with and punched the ref. It was great. He handled that crowd as a real professional.

RC Styles

Reaction score
Cenas current gimmick is much the same as the original Hulk Hogan character. Both are aimed toward a younger fan base, Cena with the "Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect" and Hogan with the "Eat your vitamins and say your prayers." Don't jump all over me, everyone knows that children gobble up that baby face do gooder stuff.

Hogan was the baby face to beat all baby faces until 96, much like Cena is right now. Then when Hogan turned heel in WCW, it rocked the wrestling world, and in return garnered Hogan untold of amounts of heat.

Fast-forward to 2003, when John Cena made his face turn. Since that time, he has become one of the most recognizable superstars in the company, has perfected every aspect of that character, and is in much the same situation that Hogan was in.

Seeing as how Cena is comparable to Hogans character back in the 80's, do you think that when he finally makes the heel turn it will make as big of an impact as Hogans' turn did?

Do you think the fact that Cena has already been a heel will lessen the effect?

Or since we all know it is inevitable, none of us will be surprised when it DOES happen?

Or will anyone care... much like how when Jericho made his second return it kind of flopped because we had known it was coming for so long?

i dont think cena is going to turn heel soon, maybe 10 years later

OrtonMark54

Reaction score
Really? I don"t remember anybody cheering for the Rock during his days with NOD. Another big difference was that The Rock HAD to turn heel because he sucked as a face.

They didn't cheer for him right away, but they eventually started to a year or so into his heel run. The fans basically forced the WWE to turn him face again.

The same thing will happen to Cena because he is head and shoulders above everyone else on the mic. He will literally make the faces look inferior on the mic just like the Rock did.

adhyanta

Reaction score
Pontianak, Lampung, Bandung, Jakarta - Indonesia
When Cena and RVD had that match in 2006 for ECW ONS, it was the closest to a heel Cena we'll see in a while. He put his feet on the ropes, he argued with and punched the ref. It was great. He handled that crowd as a real professional.

That's one of a very rare moment where I respected Cena. His only trait which I like, is that he's definitely the best at showing how not to be unnerved by boos.