• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I have never understood why people actually thought HBK was a threat. At 43 years old and with nothing to gain from ending the streak, HBK had zero chance of beating the Undertaker.

Of all of his opponents Triple H was easily the biggest threat. If they are going to end the streak, it will be to someone young that has proven to be capable of main eventing, but also someone that isn't already a mega star and would greatly benefit from ending the streak. Of everyone on that list, Triple H back in 2001 is the guy that best fits that description.

If 2001 Triple H, a multiple time world champion who had been working the top of the card for nearly two years at the time, fits that description, then CM Punk should beat Taker and to be quite honest, I really hope he does it.

Reaction score
I have never understood why people actually thought HBK was a threat. At 43 years old and with nothing to gain from ending the streak, HBK had zero chance of beating the Undertaker.

Of all of his opponents Triple H was easily the biggest threat. If they are going to end the streak, it will be to someone young that has proven to be capable of main eventing, but also someone that isn't already a mega star and would greatly benefit from ending the streak. Of everyone on that list, Triple H back in 2001 is the guy that best fits that description.

HBK ending the streak was nothing to 'gain from'. You think he gained anything from ending Flair's career? I don't think, nor do I like to, that the ending of Taker's career should be to benefit anyone, ever. I think it should be done for a sheer 'epicness' factor. I mean, to have someone beat Taker at Mania now would be another one of those milestones in history. It'd be like Jericho becoming the first ever Undisputed Champion, like HBK going 1-30 in the Rumble, like Benoit being the first to win the title in a triple threat match at Mania. I don't think this should EVER be used to push a new guy. You can't put that kind of title on anyone, unless they've signed a 10-year contract. A young new guy the company feels will last forever could beat taker, then when his contract ends a year later - dumps the company and goes off else where.

Guys like HBK, HHH, Flair, Jericho even, are the ones who have that stature at Mania to really make believe the streak was something. If, after 17 years, a guy like Dibiase ends it - what has that got to say about Undertaker? The guy who ends it, if at all, should be VERY well established in the company. They won't be doing it to gain 'momentum' for anything. They'll be doing it for history.

Oh, and to mention that HBK is 43. Err ... Taker's what ... 44?

I give HBK full credit for trying to beat the streak last year. Personally, I really wish he did. Hell, give him another shot!

(to take the words right from YOUR mouth...)

^^^agreed.

Mike Chaos

Reaction score
Out of all those he faced I figured the Big Boss Man was the biggest threat..

If someone ever does break his streak, I hope they honestly deserve it. It would be nice if he retired with the streak but knowing how Taker is and how smart he is wrestling business wise, it would be stupid for them to not capitalize on someone beating Taker at Mania. Rumors of Ted Dibiase doing it some way or another doesn't fancy me. Even though CM Punk can be a concrete mainevent player, it wouldn't hurt for him to be the guy to do it.

noumenon

Had they wanted CM Punk to do so they should have been building to it all of this time instead of him playing bitch to Taker all Fall. The guy stood to have the greatest heel build of the past decade off his feud with Hardy and they pissed it all away on Taker coming back and NEEDING that fucking title.

Reaction score
HBK ending the streak was nothing to 'gain from'. You think he gained anything from ending Flair's career?
He didn't gain anything from it. But ending Taker's streak is very different than being the guy to "retire" Flair.

I don't think, nor do I like to, that the ending of Taker's career should be to benefit anyone, ever. I think it should be done for a sheer 'epicness' factor. I mean, to have someone beat Taker at Mania now would be another one of those milestones in history. It'd be like Jericho becoming the first ever Undisputed Champion, like HBK going 1-30 in the Rumble, like Benoit being the first to win the title in a triple threat match at Mania. I don't think this should EVER be used to push a new guy.
You killed your own argument with those examples, especially the Jericho one. Jericho became the first undisputed champion not because it would be something epic to remember, but something that would help elevate him to the next level, just like what the plan would be if they decide to have someone end the streak.

You can't put that kind of title on anyone, unless they've signed a 10-year contract. A young new guy the company feels will last forever could beat taker, then when his contract ends a year later - dumps the company and goes off else where.
I agree that it's an unbelievably difficult decision to make, and there are so many factors that go into who could be the guy to give this to. It's more than likely the reason why nobody has ended the streak yet because they haven't come across the right person, and it could be the reason why the streak never ends.

Guys like HBK, HHH, Flair, Jericho even, are the ones who have that stature at Mania to really make believe the streak was something. If, after 17 years, a guy like Dibiase ends it - what has that got to say about Undertaker? The guy who ends it, if at all, should be VERY well established in the company. They won't be doing it to gain 'momentum' for anything. They'll be doing it for history.
The only damage it will do to the Undertaker is make him less of an attraction at Wrestlemania. Contrary to what many people believe, the Undertaker doesn't need this streak to be remembered. A loss at Wrestlemania really won't damage his legacy one bit.

Oh, and to mention that HBK is 43. Err ... Taker's what ... 44?
I guess you missed my point. What I'm saying is why would they give a 43 year old with a bad back and probably only 2 or 3 years left and nothing to gain from this the honour of being the man to end this streak that they have built up?

LKP

Cena if he was to fight taker this year would be takers best threat. If cena does not fight taker and hbk does not then get sheamus to do it.
I think takers most threatening opponent at Wm was Kane.

Reaction score
Sheamus? For real? What's the guy done to really deserve a shot at Taker? Won the title from Cena in a weird (and possibly fucked up) ending? Has he gotten a clean win over any major contenders yet? He's beaten Evan Bourne two times. Nice.

Unless, after he loses to Orton at the Rumble, they somehow really hype the fuck out of him, I can't see any point to have Sheamus face Taker. It'd be like Taker/Henry all over again, except Sheamus doesn't have that 'big fat black dude gunna kill you, like you just stole his chicken' look.

maty619

Reaction score
I sa Orton could be a massive threat 5 or so years down the line from their first wm match. Orton is way more established now in the WWE he is a 6 time soon to be 7 time world champion and he about 30 give or take a year or so (cant be assed wiking it) now that is someone that could beat him. And Orton is just fire after a great 2009. You saw how lose he got the first time and that was before he was really known as one of the best.

DcDudley

Reaction score
I really thought Kane would beat taker, but can't say I was too aware of the streak at the time.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Kanes first encounter with the Undertaker was his first real challenge at Wrestlemania that you thought he would legitimately lose. Other than that, Randy Orton was still doing his whole "Legend Killer" gimmick and the way they carried that feud and the way that Undertaker sold that RKO leading up to Mania, really made you believe that Orton could be the man to end the streak. He was super dangerous. And finally, Edge was a super threat, same uber heel reasons as Orton, but I really didn't think Edge was going to win. The ONLY reason I felt he stood a chance in this scenario is because he was ALSO billed as Undefeated at Mania and I could see that Edge would be pushed as WWE's New Streak for Wrestlemania picking up where Undertaker left off.

At this point in time, Cena is the ONLY guy left who hasn't fought Taker at Mania I can see being a legit threat to the streak. Jericho would be a nice program and a nice feud, but you can't honestly tell me you'd think Jericho would stand a snowballs chance in hell. CM Punk, again, would be AMAZING for me being a huge CM Punk mark, but even if I think with a clear head I know that Undertaker proved in the fall that he refuses to put CM Punk over. So that wouldnt' happen either.

IF Undertaker keeps up his Mania appearances from now until next year, with the proper build up I can see anyone of the young bucks of Ted Dibiase, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger (like I said, proper pushes, don't freak out on me. lol), Drew McIntyre, Sheamus, John Morrison, The Miz, Kofi Kingston or hell, MVP could all be viable Wrestlemania challengers.

But that all depends on what WWE decides to do between now and 2011 with their current talent pool. As for this year? If HBK Challenges Taker again he's not winning. John Cena is the ONLY option this year that I can reasonably believe that Takers gonna give the streak to.

Montana

I believe the closet anyone has even gotten was Batista. He was originally intented to go over the Undertaker, when they were planning the match. The WWE lost faith in Batista weeks before Mania which resulted in keeping the streak alive. It also made Taker/Batista early in the show due to Batista complaining. Batista then went on to put a little more effort into the match, so the WWE didn't lose too much faith in him. Personally i didn't think Batista would go over, but i was almost certain i beleive the rumors that it could have happened. Other than that, i didn't feel anyone else was a serious threat, like Knicky said. Orton would have been a decent pick at the time, but he was still young at that time. I'd like to see that match again at Mania before Taker retires.

Rays_Peeps34

Reaction score
personally the only guy i think had a shot at breaking the streak was Orton, he had the whole Legend Killer thing going and I wouldnt have been shocked one bit if he had beat Taker

CenaMark54

Orton was probably the biggest threat to end Taker's streak. The talk at the time was that they might pull the trigger and give Orton the biggest push of his career. Then it came out that Orton was injured and needed surgery so they changed the outcome because they wouldn't have been able to capatalize on it due to the fact that Orton would be out for several months.

noumenon

This may be an odd question, but was Orton in the midst of his Legend Killer gimmick when he was going against Taker at Mania?

xtremebadass

I would say the only threats that I have seen (since WMX-8) were probably only Orton and HBK. Those were great storylines with fantastic build that would make one believe the challenger to Taker would actually win.

Guys like Big Show/A-Train, Kane, Batista, and Mark Henry's storylines going into Mania were just so weak it was easy to say Taker would bulldoze them all.