Who's really threatened him?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Great One

This may be an odd question, but was Orton in the midst of his Legend Killer gimmick when he was going against Taker at Mania?
Yep. Sadly it seems they are truly going with Cena/Batista now, which leaves the big question as to what the Undertaker will be doing. If he doesn't fight Cena this year that guarantees that he'll be around (or at least is planning on being) for the next year (maybe he wants to be in the best condition possible for possibly his biggest match ever?). But if HBK faces Undertaker this year, there is no way in hell he's winning with the opportunity to face Cena still available, which makes that match even more pointless and dumb.

straight_edge76

Orton, Kane (@WM14) and HBK were honestly the only times I though Taker was gonna lost at Mania. I believe Orton's 'Legend Killer' gimmick was in its infancy whne he faced Undertaker at Mania and a win sort of killed the momentum imo, Kane at the time was built as un unbeatable monster at the time and imo the two losses at back to back PPV's sort of killed his momentum. HBK honestly was the one who I thought was closest to beating the streak; I remember watching when he kicked out of the Tombstone; which seemed almost unstoppable as The Undertaker's finisher and thinking "oh shit its gonna end" honestly that was my favorite Mania match of Taker's and even one of the top of all time imo.

Some people say Edge but honestly the way he was totally squashed in that match I could have never seen it plausable.

I think that Punk would be a great opponent for Taker thsi year; I mean sure he did totally get owned in their feud but he is the only heel who imo is in any shape to even threaten Taker atm. I could honestly see him winning as well. Which would only add to his 'Better then You' character. He made a big enough deal about making Taker' tap' could you imagine how much we would brad about BEATING the unstoppable Undertaker at Mania?

I believe that 'the streak' wasn't even relevant untill WrestleMania XX or so, when it would mentioned from time to time as Mania got closer and closer and now that's all they fucking talk about when it comes to him.

I also heard that one of Taker's first Mania matches was supposed to be The Ultimate Warrior who in the very early 90's was arguably the second most popular guy in the WWF/E next to Hogan obviously. So thinking of that if Warrior woulnd't haven melted down the streak by all means might not even exist.

Soul_of_Ruby

Reaction score
When Edge was facing him at Wrestlemania 24, people thought the streak might end and Taker would pass it on to Edge (Edge was 7-0 at the time).

Great One

Orton, Kane (@WM14) and HBK were honestly the only times I though Taker was gonna lost at Mania. I believe Orton's 'Legend Killer' gimmick was in its infancy whne he faced Undertaker at Mania and a win sort of killed the momentum imo, Kane at the time was built as un unbeatable monster at the time and imo the two losses at back to back PPV's sort of killed his momentum. HBK honestly was the one who I thought was closest to beating the streak; I remember watching when he kicked out of the Tombstone; which seemed almost unstoppable as The Undertaker's finisher and thinking "oh shit its gonna end" honestly that was my favorite Mania match of Taker's and even one of the top of all time imo.
He was already the "Legend Killer" like two years before he fought Taker... it actually was about the END of the gimmick after his feud with Taker. Hogan just put the nails in the coffin for it, then he turned into the psycho with absolutely 0 character, 0 interest, and 0 presence for a good year until he actually did something with his shitty character and MADE people to have interest in him. His matches still blow though.

Reaction score
When Edge was facing him at Wrestlemania 24, people thought the streak might end and Taker would pass it on to Edge (Edge was 7-0 at the time).

Errr 7-0? I think that's a slight exxageration. Wasn't it like ... 5-0? Nope, 6-0 (not including the MiTB 'loss').

Yeh, I'd love to have seen the Orton/Taker match happen now, for the first time. Come WM26, if Taker/Orton faced off, and if somehow they could re-ignite the 'Legend Killer' gimmick I think Orton would be a real threat.

I still don't like Punk as a challenger to actually beat Taker at Mania. I mean he can face him, but unless they do some super pushing of Punk there's no reason to think he'd beat him.

I just can't see Taker remaining around for another WM, after 26. The main reason I thought HBK would beat Taker at Mania25 was

-it was both men's hometown (despite Taker being billed from 'Death Valley')
-It was a nice round figure. WM25, the silver anniversary. Just had a nice ring to it.
-Both men were considered to be close to retirement.
-Neither man had a one on one match in what ... 10 years or something?

I'd like to imagine that Taker could stick around and make his streak end at 20-0, but I doubt it. I'd much rather see him add that 'credibility' to the streak by losing this year or next, than to risk it with another 3 years.

Soul_of_Ruby

Reaction score
Errr 7-0? I think that's a slight exxageration. Wasn't it like ... 5-0? Nope, 6-0 (not including the MiTB 'loss').

It was definitely billed as 7-0. The MitB participation doesn't count as a loss. It doesn't count as a win either, but he did indeed participate in it, so he had a 7th match. It's definetly a 7-0, dude.

Reaction score
The streak became truly relevant at wrestlemania 13 when he beat Sid and the biggest threats to takers streak have been HHH at Wrestlemania 17, Orton at Wrestle Mania 21 Batista at Wrestlemania 23 and HBK at Wrestlemania 25. Go back and watch all of those matches and you will see taker on the verge of losing each match

Dr. Evo

Reaction score
My opinion is that I felt the HBK/Taker match last year was good and definitely match of the year by far. Although there was a good build up and a good few near falls in the match itself, I didn't think Shawn would be able to do it finally which was a shame and who knows when it will end. I do however agree that Orton was probably the closest at WM21 and the match was amazing and Edge did come close. I feel the Orton match had a better elevation to it though.