Who's really threatened him?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
So with WrestleMania 26 approaching, I want to ask this question. Hell, make it two questions...

With all the opponents that Undertaker has faced and defeated at WrestleMania, who do you think has been the biggest, most legit threat to his streak? Here's a list of who he's faced and when...

VII -- Jimmy Snuka
VIII -- Jake Roberts
IX -- Giant González Won via disqualification
XI -- King Kong Bundy
XII -- Diesel
13 -- Sycho Sid For the WWF Championship in a No Disqualification match
XIV -- Kane
XV -- The Big Boss Man Hell in a Cell match
X7 -- Triple H
X8 -- Ric Flair No Disqualification match
XIX -- The Big Show and A-Train Handicap match
XX -- Kane
21 -- Randy Orton
22 -- Mark Henry Casket match
23 -- Batista For the World Heavyweight Championship
XXIV -- Edge For the World Heavyweight Championship
XXV -- Shawn Michaels

So obviously some of these were more than lame to put together. Opponents that get high regards from me, personally, that I felt could've really ended the streak were: Orton and WM21, Edge at WM24. I know I speak of it highly, but it's just because it's my feelings on the match - HBK at WM25 I have never felt like Taker's streak was in jeopardy as much. Nor do I think any future WM matches will have that same possibility of defeat.

My opinion though is limited, as I've only started watching WWE since WMXX. I'd love to hear opinions on people who've seen a majority/all of Taker's matches, as I've never really even heard of his prior matches. But still, anyone think anyone's been a solid threat to Taker's streak?

Wordlife

Personally, no. Orton back at 21? Maybe, considering Orton was becoming hot at the time, and look where he is now in the business? Just signed a 10 year extension!

As far as PAST past matches, WM13 was his toughest challenge. I've seen all of his WM matches, and by far that is my favorite. It was a tough fight, hell it could have went the other way. But look where he stands now.

As far as the upcoming WM is concerned, I know they are pushing Cena to fight Taker, but then again they want HBK to fight Taker again as well. But now with the rumors of HHH winning the Rumble tomorrow night, the stipulation of Orton/HHH/HBK for the title could possibly happen at WM26. If they give it to Cena, at least the match as concerned, I think it could draw. Potentially the match might be sub-par at best, I don't see the Undertaker losing again this WM

Reaction score
Kane.

In fact, I think Kane should've BEAT Taker at Mania 14. IMO, it really killed his momentum to lose at Mania, then at Unforgiven one month later.

seX-Power

I seriously thought that Edge would break the streak in mega heel mode at the time, and I thought that HBK would do it even more.

Reaction score
^^^Yeh Edge was second in line for being the one to break the streak. I still remember the hype online about it approaching the match. Good times, lol.

Orton was third, on that list too. I'll admit I felt a little stronger about him breaking it back then because I was still new to the whole business, and still didn't really understand the implications etc etc.

Yeh Cena/Taker would be sub par, and Cena would not have any real threat to Taker's streak, imo. I wouldn't believe it, at all.

Wordlife

I understand the fact that Cena is the WWE's TOP guy, and he is the face of the business, but to attract the fans more into the wrestling aspect itself, you just can't put Undertaker over because your John Cena. You just can't. It'd ruin the whole WWE. If say a heel like Jericho beat Taker at WM and broke the streak (which is who I think should be the one to do it) then yes, then we can understand the true meaning of a rivarly, a streak, etc. Considering the credentials Jericho has in the past (first ever Undisputed Champion)

seX-Power

Cena would have the biggest threat out of anyone at all in the WWE, including Sheamus.

noumenon

The streak wasn't really brought up to the extent it was until fairly recent years. The greatest and only real threat he's ever faced to the streak was HBK...period.

Reaction score
I understand the fact that Cena is the WWE's TOP guy, and he is the face of the business, but to attract the fans more into the wrestling aspect itself, you just can't put Undertaker over because your John Cena. You just can't. It'd ruin the whole WWE. If say a heel like Jericho beat Taker at WM and broke the streak (which is who I think should be the one to do it) then yes, then we can understand the true meaning of a rivarly, a streak, etc. Considering the credentials Jericho has in the past (first ever Undisputed Champion)

Want to speak of credentials? I'd say people like HBK, maybe even HHH have far better credentials than Jericho. I nearly said Taker, but that's kind of ... dumb, lol.

Cena would have the biggest threat out of anyone at all in the WWE, including Sheamus.

Urgh. Sheamus, Taker and WrestleMania should not, EVER, be in the same sentence, lol.

Wordlife

I give HBK full credit for trying to beat the streak last year. Personally, I really wish he did. Hell, give him another shot!

Wordlife

Then who do you give it to this year? I really hope its not Cena then! Personally, like I mentioned, I really want Jericho to fight Taker.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
The greatest and only real threat he's ever faced to the streak was HBK...period.
I have never understood why people actually thought HBK was a threat. At 43 years old and with nothing to gain from ending the streak, HBK had zero chance of beating the Undertaker.

Of all of his opponents Triple H was easily the biggest threat. If they are going to end the streak, it will be to someone young that has proven to be capable of main eventing, but also someone that isn't already a mega star and would greatly benefit from ending the streak. Of everyone on that list, Triple H back in 2001 is the guy that best fits that description.

noumenon

Taker has already crushed Jericho on several occasions. WWE blew their nut on one of the only anticipated feuds left on the card. It could have been amazing, but now it would just be a joke as Jericho has tapped to Taker in under 5 minutes on multiple occasions.

HBK/Taker would be a great match, but that's about it. Do we really need to see it again though?

Cena/Taker NEEDS to be done before it's too late. Stop being pussies and pull the heel trigger on Cena. Even if they don't pull the heel card, it'll still be epic to see... and without a doubt be the biggest threat to Taker to date.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
That match would have been alot better if they didn't randomly blow it on SD... twice. And by the way that Jericho has been booked lately, I don't see in any world title matches or anywhere near The Streak.