Who is the overall best member of The Shield

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who is the overall best member of The Shield?

• Seth Rollins

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Dean Ambrose

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Roman Reigns

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Yeah, they were awesome. Best stable in years.
Did you not see the reaction Reigns got at the 2014 Rumble? Crowd were cheering him a lot, they really wanted him to win.

I think at that point, WWE was using Reigns correctly. And even I wanted him to win with that performance.

I think what began the downward spiral was when he won the 2014 SuperStar of the Year despite being on the shelf for half a year. I mean, that just made the rigging of the awards seem so blatantly obvious. And then, I wasn't even upset that he won the 2015 Rumble. But having the Rock come in after the match was what screwed it up for me. Just like winning the Superstar of the year, it seemed manufactured to try and sell him as the top guy. Just like having him be the guy who was supposed to eventually beat Lesnar... they were manufacturing him a little too obviously.

If they would have taken the time to really just make his growth come about a little more, organically, I guess, I don't think this Reigns backlash would be nearly as severe as it was. They should have given him an IC title reign (pun intended), let him run with that for a good six months and have some good matches, lose it and then come back with the World title win. I think that would have seemed more real than what they did.

This is why I've said all along that I have NOTHING against Roman. WWE, in my view, really screwed up on him and it's in no way his fault. And they continue to screw up by not trying to develop him differently.

I remember the 1994 Royal Rumble. Kevin Nash (as Diesel) eliminated several wrestlers in a row. It was the first time anyone had done it like that. He was popular and people loved him and wanted him to win. Then, they gave him an awful title reign and his popularity plummeted. However, when he lost the belt and rejected the character, blaming Vince, he was immediately a better character.

Honestly, I think they should go that way with Roman. They've already hinted at him being a tweener, but I think that whole "I'm THE guy" thing was corny. Have him openly reject his character and blame Vince or Steph or someone for it. Then just let him be an in it for himself anti hero like Diesel was. I bet he'd win over the crowd pretty quickly.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Each have their merits yet none have been given the correct character development yet. Roman has the star appeal but hasn't been able to really cut loose a great deal yet. Dean is in a weird place where they trust him as the work horse but not the top guy and Seth has the potential to be a big supporting player in a major era but I don't see him as the top guy.

In my opinion for potential it's Reigns, Seth then Dean. For current ability it's Seth, Dean then Roman a fair way back.

Woo, seabs is back! :)

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I always have thought it was Dean>Seth>Roman

Always have and always will.

Bash me all you want but Roman is garbage and Seth is an overrated HHH & Roman suck up.

Deaner's the man

I guess it depends on your likes/dislikes of gimmicks then. Ambrose just never did it for me. I liked him in the Shield a lot better than I like him solo though.

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
I guess it depends on your likes/dislikes of gimmicks then. Ambrose just never did it for me. I liked him in the Shield a lot better than I like him solo though.
Yes, I loved dean with the shield....His title run was just so boring to me...but he's still better then Roman any day of the week.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score

I base it on talent....

But yeah, I liked him better on the Indies when he had more freedom... even just to express his opinion on a podcast

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Well they're all only allowed to wrestle the same or say the same things therefore they're all the same

Yeah I get watching the rating because it isn't like it used to be but if they don't have any freedoms or very little, I think it effects them. After awhile all faces and all heels sound the same. They haven't reached that point yet but it certainly makes some of the promos that should have been really good, very dry.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Its amazing to think there was a time when Reigns wasn't booed out of every WWE event.

I take it The Shield were pretty awesome back in the day?

From video packages alone you can see they were so much cooler together than they are on their own. Yeah. Fistbump.

As for the OP question it's really too close to call.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
From video packages alone you can see they were so much cooler together than they are on their own. Yeah. Fistbump.

:woo:

And to be fair, Seth is the only one of the three to have seemingly held a decent run. Seems like Roman (due to Vince being Vince) went stale fast and Ambrose got held back on a lot. I think it was mentioned already that his match with Brock kind of hurt his character.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
:woo:

And to be fair, Seth is the only one of the three to have seemingly held a decent run. Seems like Roman (due to Vince being Vince) went stale fast and Ambrose got held back on a lot. I think it was mentioned already that his match with Brock kind of hurt his character.

Since you typed this I've run around and thought about it, and... Ya know, I'd actually vote Dean Ambrose as having the best run so far.

It's easy to say Seth because they haven't done any of their cripplingly bad booking decisions with him. Seth hasn't had a TV blow up in his face or make tater tot jokes (yet). That's good.

But Dean, at a few moments, really felt like he was a big star in the making. In the buildup to Mania 32, with his "Take me to Suplex City, baby!!" promo, it was clear this guy had the star power to truly take his spot among the top guys in the company. The buildup between he and Triple H at Roadblock was quality stuff after he went from afterthought to last eliminated in the Royal Rumble match. He had the really fun run as the "pop machine" for RR when these two buddies were fighting off the Wyatts as both he and Roman came across as a cool dudes you want to have a beer with (but don't drink, kids). Not to mention at first, it felt like they really had his character down perfectly. He felt like a really relatable person with clear motives, was killing it on the mic and with brawls.

Going into the future though I think that WWE title reign will work against him. As a guy with "Cesaro heat" who was being held down, there was so much to wonder what an Ambrose-centric WWE would be like... but then it happened and it was lame.

Seth... well...

Yeah I get watching the rating because it isn't like it used to be but if they don't have any freedoms or very little, I think it effects them. After awhile all faces and all heels sound the same. They haven't reached that point yet but it certainly makes some of the promos that should have been really good, very dry.

During promos/acting segments he's doing a good job, but he was a generic cowardly heel forever before turning face by getting Pedigreed and then Reigns was put in the dryer too long. Again they haven't done anything truly terribly with him, but even Stone Cold brought up how Seth hasn't done enough to get some heat on him to really draw interest to his matches or have a reason to hate him. And it feels like even though if you ask who the best wrestler of the three is most of us wouldn't hesitate before saying "Oh, Rollins. Why?"... it doesn't seem like he's had as many MOTYC's as the other two (partially due to not facing Styles). He's had a long string of Pringles matches or good matches ruined with bad finishes like ghost lantern interference or having teleporting zombies kick their opponents in the dick.

Though looking back it's a major sticking point with me that we never got an actual Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins feud. Felt both characters would be so much better off, but guess that goes into the pile of cool fantasy booking ideas.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Since you typed this I've run around and thought about it, and... Ya know, I'd actually vote Dean Ambrose as having the best run so far.

It's easy to say Seth because they haven't done any of their cripplingly bad booking decisions with him. Seth hasn't had a TV blow up in his face or make tater tot jokes (yet). That's good.

But Dean, at a few moments, really felt like he was a big star in the making. In the buildup to Mania 32, with his "Take me to Suplex City, baby!!" promo, it was clear this guy had the star power to truly take his spot among the top guys in the company. The buildup between he and Triple H at Roadblock was quality stuff after he went from afterthought to last eliminated in the Royal Rumble match. He had the really fun run as the "pop machine" for RR when these two buddies were fighting off the Wyatts as both he and Roman came across as a cool dudes you want to have a beer with (but don't drink, kids). Not to mention at first, it felt like they really had his character down perfectly. He felt like a really relatable person with clear motives, was killing it on the mic and with brawls.

Going into the future though I think that WWE title reign will work against him. As a guy with "Cesaro heat" who was being held down, there was so much to wonder what an Ambrose-centric WWE would be like... but then it happened and it was lame.

Seth... well...

During promos/acting segments he's doing a good job, but he was a generic cowardly heel forever before turning face by getting Pedigreed and then Reigns was put in the dryer too long. Again they haven't done anything truly terribly with him, but even Stone Cold brought up how Seth hasn't done enough to get some heat on him to really draw interest to his matches or have a reason to hate him. And it feels like even though if you ask who the best wrestler of the three is most of us wouldn't hesitate before saying "Oh, Rollins. Why?"... it doesn't seem like he's had as many MOTYC's as the other two (partially due to not facing Styles). He's had a long string of Pringles matches or good matches ruined with bad finishes like ghost lantern interference or having teleporting zombies kick their opponents in the dick.

Though looking back it's a major sticking point with me that we never got an actual Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins feud. Felt both characters would be so much better off, but guess that goes into the pile of cool fantasy booking ideas.

I meant in terms of what they were given, like Seth to me was given more even though it looked like Vince was seemingly trying to make Reigns a big deal... and you know now that I think about it, people hating Reigns (or rather hating ON him) kind of took away from both Seth and Dean. Like people either legit didn't like him or did it to be funny and all the focus was on him (in a bad way) and not Dean so much. I think Seth was out for some of this but still.