Who Is Fit To Carry The IC Title After Cody Rhodes?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Cody Rhodes has easily been the best IC champ in over 11 years. You would have to go back to 2000, with Jericho's IC run to find a run as good as Rhode's.

This belt had previously been devalued so much over the past 11 years, mostly B/C of the WCW/WWE merger. It bacame a peice of junk metal, thrown around just to be there. The title lost it's prestige as the "next step" belt, and the wrestlers who held it were never seriously invested in.

Cody Rhodes has changed all of that in 5 months. The belt has importance, meaning, and true the true prestige it needs. It's now a belt that says you are next in line. And Cody wears the belt with pride and love. He will retain it at all cost and still wants it to be his, even once he has won the WHC. The belt is once again a classic with the legendary Rhodes name holding it.

But who is fit the carry the mantle? Cody is the entire upper mid card. No body comes close. But Cody is about to enter the WHC sceen. So who else can carry and give meaning to the belt?

Aniking

Reaction score
Cody Rhodes has the best Intercontinental Championship reign in the past 11 years? If I can be The Miz for a moment - REALLY?

I'll agree with you on two things - the title now actually means something and he is slowly restoring it's prestige, but this reign surely can't be the best in 11 years. This is just your bias thoughts coming to the fray once more.

I don't have the knowledge of the past decade that a lot of members of the forum will, but I'm expecting some backlash. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Cody Rhodes and I think he'll have a massive 2012, but what exactly stands out for you to call his reign the best in 11 years? This I don't quite get.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Cody Rhodes has the best Intercontinental Championship reign in the past 11 years? If I can be The Miz for a moment - REALLY?

I'll agree with you on two things - the title now actually means something and he is slowly restoring it's prestige, but this reign surely can't be the best in 11 years. This is just your bias thoughts coming to the fray once more.

I don't have the knowledge of the past decade that a lot of members of the forum will, but I'm expecting some backlash. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Cody Rhodes and I think he'll have a massive 2012, but what exactly stands out for you to call his reign the best in 11 years? This I don't quite get.

Well, I have the knowlege of the past 14+ years. Since 1998. And yes, you have to go back to 2000 to find an IC run as good as this.

Just because Mizz has Been WWE champ, doesn't mean his IC title run was "prestigious". I think you need to seperate the two.

This has been a general consensus about his IC run.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
give me the list of how meny times he has defended the title, and how meny of those were great matches. Or give me a feud that was for the title that that was ligit good. And true prestige and meaning what the fuck are you watching, just because he brought back the old title belt does not mean the prestige back.

the best last great IC title run was Orton 03/04 and Shelton 04/05.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
MIZ has never been IC champ. Also tell me which Jericho 2000 title run was the best.

the time when Chris Jericho & Chyna were co champs and feuded with bob holly.
the one which he held it for 1 month and taged with china until he lost it to angle
the one which he held it for 6 days

Chadillac

Reaction score
give me the list of how meny times he has defended the title, and how meny of those were great matches. Or give me a feud that was for the title that that was ligit good. And true prestige and meaning what the fuck are you watching, just because he brought back the old title belt does not mean the prestige back.

First of all, I'll take you down memory lane.

Jericho was a HUGE STEAL for WWE in Sep. of '99. Big things were expected from him. He was huge with the fans. And it was the star himself hoilding the belt, that made it look important. Both Jericho and Angle held the belt that year, and both were looked at as "next in line". The title it's self meant something in 2000.

After the WCW/WWE merger, it became meaningless. Shelton Benjiman was NEVER going to be next in line, they just threw it on him. The title meant about as much as a damn tag title. Not the final step towards the main event.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Cody's IC title reign is hurt by the fact that all the times Daniel Bryan made Cody Rhodes look good throughout the fall most of the matches were non-title. Rhodes title matches were few and far between. The fact that Jericho/Mysterio and Ziggler/Mysterio feuds were over the IC Title kind of hurts your argument, Cody25. Also Jericho is the greatest IC champion ever by number of reigns if I am correct and they pretty much all took place in this past decade. I don't see how Cody Rhodes has a leg to stand on against those not matter how long his reign has been. LOVE also posted some nice examples.

The next IC Champion should be Ted Dibiase, probably.

Last edited:

Altervers

Reaction score

I have to say as much as i like Cody with the IC title i have to agree with this. Don't watch SD to often but as far as PPV's since he won the belt i believe he has only defended it 2 or so times. None of which were matches that even went 10 minutes. The question to me is not can he go its why hasn't he been allowed to go yet.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Cody is not the best I.C champ for the past 11 years or whatever and there has been better I.C champs as mentioned. While the title is starting to get back on track he hasn't really had any great I.C title matches like Rey has when he had it, Jericho, Orton, Shelton etc. And Cody isn't really next in line for the WHC scene as thats looking more like Wade the way they've been building him. As for the next champion would like to see Tyson turn face and take it.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I also forget that Morrison/Rey happened on SD! before he got suspended was an awesome to end to the reign. I wonder if Cody will even have a bright spot like that.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Cody's IC title reign is hurt by the fact that all the times Daniel Bryan made Cody Rhodes look good throughout the fall most of the matches were non-title. Rhodes title matches were few and far between. The fact that Jericho/Mysterio and Ziggler/Mysterio feuds were over the IC Title kind of hurts your argument, Cody25. Also Jericho is the greatest IC champion ever by number of reigns if I am correct and they pretty much all took place in this past decade. I don't see how Cody Rhodes has a leg to stand on against those not matter how long his reign has been. LOVE also posted some nice examples.

The next IC Champion should be Ted Dibiase, probably.

Thanks for answering the question. Your the first.

And we all know Cody is the ENTIRE upper mid card. And we all SHOULD know 2012 will be the year of Cody and Dolph. The IC title has never looked better. And the second Cody drops it, it going back to the land of nothing an stars to be FE.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Cody is not the best I.C champ for the past 11 years or whatever and there has been better I.C champs as mentioned. While the title is starting to get back on track he hasn't really had any great I.C title matches like Rey has when he had it, Jericho, Orton, Shelton etc. And Cody isn't really next in line for the WHC scene as thats looking more like Wade the way they've been building him. As for the next champion would like to see Tyson turn face and take it.

Um... Hey boss

The IC title is not on wade B/C he is in the Main event.

Cody is next in line to the main event. And will eventually hold a world title this year. 2012 is going to be HUGE for both him and Dolph. The fact that he is being groomed for the main event with the IC title is what makes it important.

And give him time. Orton wasn't Orton when he was IC champ. Benjamin was never going to be next in line. Rey was already a huge star. Jericho was huge. Just give him time.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Huh I never said nothing about the title being on Wade. He isn't in the main event yet the main event is Henry/Show/Bryan right now. I said he was next in line to be the heel going for the world title instead of Cody.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Huh I never said nothing about the title being on Wade. He isn't in the main event yet the main event is Henry/Show/Bryan right now. I said he was next in line to be the heel going for the world title instead of Cody.

Where would you clasify Wade? Mid card? That is absurd. They are pushing Wade to the top, on a level ahead of Cody. Wade is in the ME scene with Main event guys. Maybe you don't watch SD and are drawing your conclusions from the the "Glass Ceiling" show.

Orton has one job on SD in the larger context and that is to legitimize rising stars to the ME scene. That interveiw he did expresses that in my opinion. Cody is next in line to the main event. Wade is already in it. You dont have to be feudig over a heavy weight championship to be in the main event scene.

Just watch 2012 as it goes, and it goes something like this:

Cody is WHC on SD

Dolph is WWE champ on Raw.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Wade is upper midcard right now. How is he a main eventer? Because he main evented Smackdown a few times? In that case that would be like saying Ryder is a main eventer which is Blue. He hasn't been in a world title match situation since he has been on Smackdown. The main event scene has been just Show/Henry/Bryan in some kind of form and fashion for months now. No you don't have to feud over the world title to be main event level but he still hasn't been main event level on Smackdown yet in a non world title situation despite feuding with Orton. In that case that would be like saying Cody was a main eventer when feuding with Orton months ago which he wasn't.

I know you so badly want Cody to be world champion and all and I never said Cody couldn't one day be one but all I'm saying is I think based on how things have been going Wade is in a better position to be inserted in the world title picture sooner than Cody. Whether that is the case or not we will see in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.