• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying to give MMA a chance as something to do for fun. I don't mean something I wouldn't take seriously, just something I wouldn't want to do as a career, just something to do for the sake of competition, but would take 100% seriously. I hope that made sense. I'm definitely a lightweight if that helps the decision. I've never taken karate or anything like that. So, what would you reccomend? Thanks!

pumpt73

Reaction score
Well to be well rounded, you'd need a little of Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Judo, Wrestling, and Jiu Jitsu. With me, I have 10 years of wrestling behind me, so that would be my base to work off of. If I were to get into it, Id head straight for BJJ and Muay Thai as my two main disciplines to train in. Muay Thai is the complete striking package. Fists, elbows, knees and legs. Jiu Jitsu obviously to help improve my grappling and learn submissions. With not having any background in any particular discipline TLK, you should be like a sponge and just soak up as much modern MMA training as you can.

Reaction score
I figured what'd be best for me would be kickboxing, muay thai, and wrestling. I got really strong legs, so, that's why I figured kickboxing and muay thai would be best for me. Play to your strengths you know? And wrestling is a MUST because with no ground game, you're fucked! MMA is something i'm really interested in trying. I love competition, and I have a huge respect for the roots of MMA, and figured this would be something worth trying. I've always held my own damn good in a street fight, so, I figured maybe this is something i've got talent in.

Reaction score
1:Lift weights.
2: Take Decca, D-Bol, Winstrol, Equipose and Test
3: Go to the ghetto
4:Find gangbanging nope on the corner
5:Sucker punch him in the mouth as hard as you can, making sure you knock him out.
6:profit.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Which testosterone ester??? Also, why stack EQ with test??? Are you really looking for that much aromatization???? LOL. Just playin. Yup, I know my way around the world of AAS.

Go for it TLK. I just wish the sport had exploded when I was wrestling. I probably would have given it a go back then, but I haven't set foot on a mat since 1997.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Well to be well rounded, you'd need a little of Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Judo, Wrestling, and Jiu Jitsu. With me, I have 10 years of wrestling behind me, so that would be my base to work off of. If I were to get into it, Id head straight for BJJ and Muay Thai as my two main disciplines to train in. Muay Thai is the complete striking package. Fists, elbows, knees and legs. Jiu Jitsu obviously to help improve my grappling and learn submissions. With not having any background in any particular discipline TLK, you should be like a sponge and just soak up as much modern MMA training as you can.

My man Pump pretty much sums up what you need to do if you are starting out in the world of MMA. I wrestled from the time I was 6 up until I finished high school. So obviously wrestling is what my base would be, from there I would train hard in some BJJ (which I have actually done a few training sessions in when I was in high school) which is I feel the easiest transition from wrestling, I would also do some heavy Judo (which I have some experience in training as well), Kickboxing and Muay Thai. You cant just train heavily on one or two styles, you would need to train heavily in all aspects of the game, strikes, submissions, ground and pound everything.

Reaction score
The great shape you get in and knowing that you can protect yourself in a physical altercation seem worth it to me. Wish I wasn't disabled so I could give it a go.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Professionals, especially at the highest levels is all they do. The cutting of weight is very similar to bodybuilders in contest prep and can be draining both mentally and physically. If you have a lady in your life, she has got to be strong and support you in what you do. Go for it bro. You never how good you may become.

Reaction score
Well, I know already this isn't something i'd want to do professionally. Just small fights and make maybe $100 at the most. I just really enjoy competition, and just want to see how i'd do against a trained fighter, then push myself to be better. Ironically enough, i'm Buddhist, so, naturally fighting isn't part of my life, but, something like this is an exception. Even I was kind of stuck on it for awhile until I saw this documentary about a Buddhist country where MMA was massive there. Their whole belief on the situation was something that made me realize it's OK. You're not going in there to hurt your opponent, you're in there to compete with your opponent and see who's the better fighter, that's the part I agree with. I don't know where it was though, it was a program about Muay Thai.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
There are gyms now which put you on a weekly schedule where you learn specific lessons every week. You should try those.

Reaction score
Hm, I might just do that. That seems perfect for me. I would like to focus on a couple particular disciplines, but, I obviously have alot of work to do, and it wouldn't hurt at all to be well rounded.

pumpt73

Reaction score
The best advice I can give you is this, take it slow and listen to what your instructors tell you. Straight Edge can verify this from wrestling that if you follow what your coaches tell you, you'll do pretty darn well. Don't get frustrated if you can't pick something up right away, and if you do fight, don't worry about wins and losses. Remember even the greats take a loss here and there. Just stay calm and focused and you'll be fine.