What MMA styles would you reccomend for starting out in MMA?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Correct Pumpt, not everyone is just a natural at anything. I know when I first started wrestling there was very little I got right first time out... Like any athletic field it takes time, practice and most of all listening to your coaches to be good at whatever sport. When I first started wrestling I had a hard time getting my shot off without stumbling, and by the time I graduated high school, I dont mean to brag but I was a pretty good wrestler.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Amen bro. My first year I just did Folkstyle (high school) and I didn't win a match in my first 5 tournaments. My 6th tournament I came in 0-10 and came out 1-12!!!!!!!! Out of 10 tournaments, I placed 3rd in only 2, and didn't do crap in any other. But I learned so much from my losses. By the time I got to Middle School, I had 4 years in, and you could tell I was significantly better than a lot of kids I went up against. I also had my first 2 years of Freestyle and Greco in. By the time I finished up, I had 3 placings in Michigan. TLK, just be patient bro and you'll be amazed what you'll be doing before long. Hell remember, Rich Franklin was a school teacher and the late Evan Tanner learned out of a tool shed!!!!!!!

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I started out with freestyle when I was younger, and folkstyle about a year later and much like you I started off not very good but as time went on I started to get better, and when I started doing Greco (the toughest of the three IMO),my success started coming a lot easier, I always felt that you learned more from losses than wins. By the time I was a sophomore in high school I had already been wrestling longer than some seniors, which definitely helped me out when it came for postseason wrestling.

And yeah dude, sometimes you dont realize what kind of potential you have until you get out there are start fighting and training. You never know what and where this could lead you to.

Reaction score
Hmm, I never thought of it that way. Who knows what might happen? Maybe i'll change my mind on making it into a career and end up on The Ultimate Fighter someday. Wishful thinking, but hey! I know i'd have to work on my cardio though, that's for damn sure. It sucks!!! I always thought it'd be cool to learn Shaolin Kung Fu. It'll be an adventure either way though, that's for sure.