What Happens NXT?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I have read reports that WWE are scouting for talent more aggressively than usual due to the fact that FCW is low on stocks since NXT has taken sixteen of it's best in the past year. WWE need to hire more wrestlers to ensure that the quality of NXT remains high so that fans aren't turned away by inferior wrestlers gaining a spot on WWE television.

NXT seasons don't last very long and because of that there is a huge turnover on FCW talent in order to staff the show with wrestlers. This can't continue for long unless WWE start hiring half a dozen talent every month or two which won't happen because it is an inefficient way to do business.

How long can NXT continue in this format? Short seasons with eight male wrestlers on each season? They can get through approximately four seasons a year and that is thirty two new wrestlers all debuting through NXT and that doesn't take into account the other wrestlers which debut straight on RAW or Smackdown.

This format just can't be a long term option. They need to alter it to where possibly the seasons are longer, less wrestlers are involved or male and female wrestlers are involved. The problem as well is what to do with those that were on the show. You can't take all of them onto RAW and Smackdown because the rosters would balloon too fast and they would be too large. They can't really go back down to FCW unless they alter their gimmick before being recalled to WWE.

WWE didn't really think this through when planning it. I can't see this show being around in two years time. Plus the ratings for NXT will play a big role, currently they are lower than what ECW was getting in the end so that is a failure for SyFy since they wanted a more popular show. With Smackdown moving to SyFy soon will NXT even be on that channel in six month's time?

Do you think that this format can be sustained for a long period of time? What changes would you make to keep the show around?

OJR

Reaction score
To be honest, I know this may sound incredible naíve, but to me, I don't think ratings are a major thing for NXT. Like, I know the network obviously wants a lot of people to tune in, but to Vince, it's still giving his new stars exposure. As far as the FCW roster being depleted goes, well they should probably limit the number of seasons to a max of two a year. I think NXT season one and season two being a week apart was just stupid, because it didn't leave you wanting more. If they did a season starting in January, with the final two getting a dark match at Wrestlemania, and another in like July/August with the final two being team captains at SurSer, that'd be much better and would add more value.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Vince probably doesn't mind the ratings but the television network would since they wanted ECW axed since the ratings had dropped from a 2.76 down to below 1. NXT would need to draw some higher ratings in order to please the tv network.

Two seasons a year sounds good but then the question is what fills the gap between the seasons since they won't run 26 weeks each. Maybe the wrestlers who didn't win could continue to wrestle to try to win a wildcard spot or something along those lines. They need to reduce the amount of seasons and extend the show over a longer time frame to make it work.

OJR

Reaction score
It'd be great if they could link NXT with superstars, and so have like half a year of Superstars and half of NXT. That'd probably help the ratings, but it'd mean leaving one network for the other, although it would solve a few problems. To me, Superstars is the weakest show anyway, purely because it offers nothing new. SD! and Raw are both shows that further storylines and NXT builds new stars, whereas Superstars is just... there. I think it gives higher ratings than NXT (but don't quote me on that), so would be best for all parties.

Dademo

Reaction score
You could use someone like Goldust maybe with all the make-up and mask off and use him as a new guy. Personally, the only thing really good that came out of NXT imo was the Nexus storyline. It's good it boost young and upcoming stars onto TV, but use them when needed, it doesn't seem like NXT was really needed that badly for the WWE.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It'd be great if they could link NXT with superstars, and so have like half a year of Superstars and half of NXT. That'd probably help the ratings, but it'd mean leaving one network for the other, although it would solve a few problems. To me, Superstars is the weakest show anyway, purely because it offers nothing new. SD! and Raw are both shows that further storylines and NXT builds new stars, whereas Superstars is just... there. I think it gives higher ratings than NXT (but don't quote me on that), so would be best for all parties.

Superstars has gone from a good show promoting the midcard of Smackdown, RAW and ECW to a show that no-one cares about. Superstars has recently actually had smaller ratings than NXT. You gave me an idea for another thread though.

You could use someone like Goldust maybe with all the make-up and mask off and use him as a new guy. Personally, the only thing really good that came out of NXT imo was the Nexus storyline. It's good it boost young and upcoming stars onto TV, but use them when needed, it doesn't seem like NXT was really needed that badly for the WWE.

Very good point at the end, WWE really didn't need this show that badly. They don't need this many new stars being promoted in such a short space of time. Nexus was a great thing to come out of NXT but from season two I don't see many making it far.