What happened to Surv-Hor?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
Is it just me, or has the survival horror genre (for lack of a better term) died? I just got done with
Silent Hill: Homecoming, and thought (they didn't even try...DIDN'T EVEN TRY!) and with a future disaster called Resident Evil 7 looming on the horizon, I have to ask, "Why are scary games no longer scary? Why are they now just Call of Duty with monsters?"

I'm hoping that there a few gems out there that haven't really been pushed by the mainstream, so if anyone knows of any, please list them here.

Twitchy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
heathslater
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
alsnow
Favorite Wrestler
melina
Is it just me, or has the survival horror genre (for lack of a better term) died? I just got done with
Silent Hill: Homecoming, and thought (they didn't even try...DIDN'T EVEN TRY!) and with a future disaster called Resident Evil 7 looming on the horizon, I have to ask, "Why are scary games no longer scary? Why are they now just Call of Duty with monsters?"

I'm hoping that there a few gems out there that haven't really been pushed by the mainstream, so if anyone knows of any, please list them here.

You should try out Dead Island, its amazing!

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Mass hordes if zombies that run make ADHD teens and 30 year olds not pay attention to the fact that those games suck.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
Yeah, I'm looking for a frightful experience in the dark, not an action game with monsters. Think back to PS2 era Silent Hill or PS1 era Resident Evil.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Outlast came out last year and that was awesome. The DLC "Whistleblower" is out now too.

Also, Daylight is cool.

If you are just lookin' for rehashes of old series then I can't help ya out.

Last edited:

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I'm playing Lone Survivor right now, it's a well known indie game from about two years ago and has been heavily compared to Silent Hill 2 (haven't played it but it's apparently the best horror game ever) in terms of atmosphere and music. It's more psychological oriented than action which is what you're looking for.

The best theory I've heard going around as to why there are so few proper mainstream horror games (as opposed to action games with monsters instead of terrorists) is twofold:

1) You should feel super vulnerable but in most modern horror games like Dead Space or new Silent Hill games the focus is on combat and the extremely gory, gruesome ways you can dispatch your enemies. I think RE4 is responsible for this. So instead of feeling real tension where you know something could creep up and bite your head off at any moment, these days you often have an arsenal of weapons to kill an entire room of monsters with every few minutes. If you're not afraid of facing the enemy then it's not horror anymore. This may be why a co-op horror game might never truly work.

2) Today's games look really good because we as consumers expect a more refined product for the money we payed and the tech we have. But if something is pretty and even interesting to look at, especially the monster designs, then it's harder to feel uncomfortable (especially if you're making a horror game for EA and they want you to include lots of action and explosions to sell the trailer). Nothing is scarier than the unknown, so ideally a hideous monster will stay scary the less you see it. Or if you can see the monster (or part of it) but can't quite make out what it is, it is more unnerving and uncomfortable.

I think more and more developers are figuring this out, especially the independent ones. So if you want more psychological horror games with experimental gameplay ideas you'll have to dig into the indies nowadays like most media. Outlast, Lone Survivor and Amnesia have all gotten rave reviews over the last couple of years. You could also try LIMBO if you haven't before, it's just a 2D puzzle-platformer with a very strong art style and full of creepiness.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
The best I have played in years is ZombiU, but that's because having to take your eyes away from the screen to grab an item from your inventory adds more suspense. Another that may have slipped under the radar is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. It has some great ways of messing with the player.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
I'm playing Lone Survivor right now, it's a well known indie game from about two years ago and has been heavily compared to Silent Hill 2 (haven't played it but it's apparently the best horror game ever) in terms of atmosphere and music. It's more psychological oriented than action which is what you're looking for.

The best theory I've heard going around as to why there are so few proper mainstream horror games (as opposed to action games with monsters instead of terrorists) is twofold:

1) You should feel super vulnerable but in most modern horror games like Dead Space or new Silent Hill games the focus is on combat and the extremely gory, gruesome ways you can dispatch your enemies. I think RE4 is responsible for this. So instead of feeling real tension where you know something could creep up and bite your head off at any moment, these days you often have an arsenal of weapons to kill an entire room of monsters with every few minutes. If you're not afraid of facing the enemy then it's not horror anymore. This may be why a co-op horror game might never truly work.

2) Today's games look really good because we as consumers expect a more refined product for the money we payed and the tech we have. But if something is pretty and even interesting to look at, especially the monster designs, then it's harder to feel uncomfortable (especially if you're making a horror game for EA and they want you to include lots of action and explosions to sell the trailer). Nothing is scarier than the unknown, so ideally a hideous monster will stay scary the less you see it. Or if you can see the monster (or part of it) but can't quite make out what it is, it is more unnerving and uncomfortable.

I think more and more developers are figuring this out, especially the independent ones. So if you want more psychological horror games with experimental gameplay ideas you'll have to dig into the indies nowadays like most media. Outlast, Lone Survivor and Amnesia have all gotten rave reviews over the last couple of years. You could also try LIMBO if you haven't before, it's just a 2D puzzle-platformer with a very strong art style and full of creepiness.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to simply Rambo a horde of monsters, but actually be afraid of what's lurking around the next corner, down the next hole, or behind the next door. I'll try these out if I can find them. They're available for PS3, right?

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to simply Rambo a horde of monsters, but actually be afraid of what's lurking around the next corner, down the next hole, or behind the next door. I'll try these out if I can find them. They're available for PS3, right?

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
The best I have played in years is ZombiU, but that's because having to take your eyes away from the screen to grab an item from your inventory adds more suspense. Another that may have slipped under the radar is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. It has some great ways of messing with the player.

I remember ED:SR, but played it for PS2. That was amazing.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee

Yep, the director's cut is available on PS3 and PC I'm pretty sure. I got it because it's on PS Plus right now but I'm in Australia so my store could be different.

Weez

Reaction score
Nevermore... Alan Wake for the PC and 360.

My fav survival horror game of all time. The DLC packs kinda get far out there, but the main game is among my top 3 games all time. I've played all the greats and they didn't scare me. Silent Hill 2 fucked with a head a little bit but none of them really SCARED me. Alan Wake legit gave me nightmares lol.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Alan WAKE is one of the greatest video game experiences I have ever had.

They need to make a god damn sequel already.

Weez

Reaction score
Alan WAKE is one of the greatest video game experiences I have ever had.

They need to make a god damn sequel already.
I'm going to school for video games and Sam Lake is idol of mine. I'm really excited to see how awesome Quantum Break will be. I can only assume that Alan Wake 2 will come after QB. Underwhelming sells initially stalled a sequel but this core vocal fanbase has made it a possibility again. A few years ago, Lake made mentions of little chance for an Alan Wake sequel, now he's more "I'd love to do one, if it makes sense to us" or something like that. I can only hope.

Alan Wake spoilers below...

Calling my shot now.. The sequel will be called Alice Wake.