Virgin Mary ad creates controversy

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
download.jpg

Source: QMI Agency

An ad in front of a New Zealand church is causing controversy because it shows a shocked Virgin Mary holding a positive pregnancy test.

Vicar Glynn Cardy took to the St. Matthew-in-the-City's Facebook page to say he received more than 200 e-mails about the ad.

"Huge amounts of projection," Cardy wrote giving examples of some of the e-mails, such as, "You make (Mary) look like a whore," "No one who is a virgin needs a pregnancy test," and his personal favourite, "You are destroying the fabric of society that gives rise to bigots and fanatics and then think it is OK to no longer follow rules."

In a post on the Auckland church's website, titled Mary is in the pink, Cardy and associate priest Clay Nelson write that to the Virgin Mary, her immaculate conception would have been "shocking."

"Mary was unmarried, young, and poor. This pregnancy would shape her future. She was certainly not the first woman in this situation or the last," they wrote.

When many parts of Christmas are "make-believe," it's important to remember the "real" story, they said.

"It's real. Christmas is real. It's about a real pregnancy, a real mother and a real child. It's about real anxiety, courage and hope," they wrote.

The ad, which looks like a painting and is on a billboard in front of the church, has no words on it.

"We invite you to wonder what your caption might be," they wrote.

The post on the website received more than 100 comments with caption suggestions, including such relatively tame ones as, "Oh dear lord, what have you done?" and "If I say I'm a virgin, mum and dad won't kill me." Some caption suggestions were far more inappropriate.

The ad follows one the church did in 2009 where a painting depicted Mary and Joseph in bed together with the tagline, "Poor Joseph, God was a hard act to follow."

Once again its nice to see people taking things way too seriously. I have to admit, the tagline "If I say I'm a virgin, mum and dad won't kill me" gave me a legit :lol:

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
That is hilarious. I'm surprised no one has burned down the billboard yet.

Death Dealer

Feel the Heat
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler