UFC on Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Bisping v Anderson would be hilarious though.

I just picture it going like Griffin/Silva but worse.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Demian Maia who was supposed to fight Bisping has a new opponent for him at the show, he'll be fighting Chris Weidman he's 3-0 in the UFC and 7-0 all time in his MMA career. He last fought in November of 2011, at UFC 139 getting a submission victory.

Good opportunity for the guy to get some exposure on Network TV,.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Bisping v Anderson would be hilarious though.

I just picture it going like Griffin/Silva but worse.

I don't see it being possible to be worse than Griffin/Silva mainly cause Bisping is a much better and crisper striker than griffin was. Bisping would still get schooled if it were to happen.

Sonnen/Silva II here we come.

Ben

Reaction score
Bisping better come with some magic KO power or he's going to loose.

Took him 3 rounds to finish off Miller who gassed a minute into the fight and I don't think he's going to fair well against Sonnen who can work him on the ground.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
It's like the two ultimate heels in the UFC, Sucks there isn't more time to build up the fight, we'd hear some good shit from both fighters bashing each other.

And yeah, I'm expecting Chael to get a win here in the first round.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I think it'll go at least into the second.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
“Well, this is it! The biggest fight of my life, offered to me on 10 days notice: a No. 1 contender’s fight for the UFC middleweight title. Me against Chael Sonnen, who is one of the best-known fighters in the sport, live on FOX next Saturday night, Jan. 28. A huge fight, huge opportunity for me and my family.

I was due to fight Demian Maia, probably the most dangerous Brazilian Jiu-jitsu fighter in the division, if not the entire UFC, on the Chicago card. It was already a short-notice fight, just seven weeks after my fight in Las Vegas where I beat up Jason “Mayhem” Miller. But I was thrilled — honored, actually — to be asked by the UFC to be part of this huge event live on FOX.

Then I got a call Tuesday afternoon from UFC president Dana White. I was sitting down having some post-morning workout lunch, talking with my trainers about how well my BJJ defense was looking ahead of my UFC on FOX fight with Maia.

We were all rather pleased with how things were going; Maia is basically a 50-times-better version of Miller, but there are similarities. They are very similar fighters in style if not ability, and so the things I worked on for Miller set me up nicely for the Maia fight. I was drilling my submission defense like crazy, and was very confident of putting on a massive performance against Damien.

Then “DANA WHITE” popped up on my caller ID. I picked it up and Dana said: “I got some good news for you … Mark Munoz is hurt, how’d you like to take his place and fight Chael for the No. 1 contender spot?”

Dana hadn’t even finished saying Munoz was out before I was planning how to beat Sonnen in my head. I’ve accepted fights on short notice for the UFC throughout my career, but this one is a massive, massive chance for me, and I am very grateful to Dana, (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva and the UFC. I was already hugely grateful to be asked to fight on FOX, but to fight Chael on FOX … well, there are hundreds of fighters who would kill for this opportunity, and I would have had to be a fool to turn it down.

I’m sure I’ll get blasted for this on the forums, but I feel I could have been the one fighting Chael anyway. We were due to be “The Ultimate Fighter” coaches against each other, but because of things outside our control it didn’t happen, and I’ve won a fight since. I don’t understand how Mark Munoz, as great as he’s been doing lately, was getting Chael instead of me. I feel bad for Mark, but I know he’ll come again and no doubt he will be right back in the mix in this very interesting 185-pound weight class.

I feel very sorry for Damien, too, as ours was a great matchup and I am sure he trained hard for me. He’s a class act as a fighter and a person, and I am glad he’s still getting a great fight and opportunity on FOX.

Next week, I’m ready to go all guns blazing. A fight is a fight, and at this level anything can happen, but all things being equal, Chael Sonnen cannot knock me out. He can’t submit me, either. The worst that is going to happen is that he will outpoint me and, if I don’t beat him, I didn’t deserve a title shot against Anderson Silva anyway.

But my performance against Miller in the opening round, where he held me down for three minutes, wasn’t good enough, and I will need to be better Saturday. I needed to be better than that if I was going to beat Maia, and I will need to be better than that to beat Chael.”

UFC.com

Also for anybody wondering what made Mark Munoz pull out of the fight with Chael Sonnen, here you go

Mark Munoz has chips of bone “floating around” in his shoulder, causing severe inflammation and restriction of movement.

He will have surgery tomorrow to address the issue, which has forced him to pull out of a January 28 meeting with Chael Sonnen. His place has been taken by Michael Bisping.

“For those that [are] wondering. Injury on Fri sparring causing bone spurs to dislodged in my joint causing locking & pain. Surgery on Thursday,” he posted on his official Twitter account.

“The spurs dislodged from my bone and into my joint causing bone chips to float around in the joint space.”

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
This event keeps getting better. Evans vs. Davis is big enough on it's own for me but the new matchup of Bisping vs. Sonnen is so good. Bisping will have to fight the perfect fight to defeat Sonnen but I think he will put forth a decent effort. I really can't see Sonnen losing this fight though.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Odds aren't high enough for me especially with the risk involved of an MMA match. Bisping may catch him with a good shot and finish him. He should win but I would rather a bit more value.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
"I can guarantee you – Anderson Silva and I will never cross paths again," Sonnen said today.

Sonnen believes that statement extends to his opponent should Bisping come out ahead in the fight, which takes place next Saturday at Chicago's United Center and airs live on FOX.

"I don't if he's going to retire, or [the UFC is] going to retire him," Sonnen said. "I think the plan was if I could get past Munoz and if Michael was successful against Demian, they were going to do an interim championship between Bisping and I.

"I know Anderson's not going to fight. The folks at the UFC know he's not going to fight. I'm all for promoting and marketing and all that good stuff. I don't want to throw water on a perfectly hot flame, but Anderson Silva's not going to fight anybody."

Sonnen was originally slated to fight Mark Munoz before an elbow injury forced Munoz to withdraw from the event. In his place went Bisping, who was originally set to meet onetime middleweight title challenger Demian Maia. Maia now meets up-and-comer Chris Weidman.

As bold declarations go, Sonnen's comments aren't much of a departure from countless barbs he's tossed in Silva's direction. After defeating Brian Stann at UFC 136, he offered the champ a loser-leaves-town fight of sorts and later rescinded it when lingering injuries delayed Silva's return.

Sonnen feels those injuries – bursitis and back problems – are suspiciously convenient. But what can he do?

"I tend to believe him," Sonnen said. "If a guy says he's hurt, you've got to believe him. Only he knows, and I don't need an X-ray or anything else.

"I think it's a little fugazi that he claims that he's hurt, and then we see footage of him live sparring with Wanderlei Silva. I think it's a little fugazi that he claims he's hurt, and I've got my friend (Muhammed) 'Mo' Lawal training with Machida alongside alongside Silva. I think these things are peculiar. But if a guy says he's hurt, it's enough for me."

Not enough, though, to tone his rhetoric down when it comes to the prospect of winning a rematch with the champ after their epic first meeting at UFC 117, which ended with him submitting in the fifth round after dominating the fight up to end.

The way Sonnen sees it, the UFC can try to put the fight together all they want, and they may again. But they won't have any luck.

"I can tell you that behind the scenes, they tried to put me and Anderson together four times, and four times he said no," he said. "I called him out publicly. You call out a Brazilian publicly, you're going to be fighting that Brazilian. That's in their culture, and he sat there and covered his mouth and hid behind Charles Barkley, which is a smart move. It saved him a trip to the hospital. But Anderson Silva is not going to fight me. I don't believe he's going to fight Bisping. I don't believe he's going to fight again. That's my personal opinion.

"He even said no to (UFC executive) Lorenzo Fertitta's face. Face-to-face, not over the phone – Lorenzo brought him out, sat him down, and said, 'This is the fight we want.' And Anderson said no."

MMAjunkie.com

Ben

Reaction score
Pumped for this show, nice having 2 really good card on back to back weekends on free tv.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The US version of UFC.com got hacked, apparently.

Still working for me in UK, but loads of stuff on Twitter about it.

Ben

Reaction score
:lol:

Just checked it out, believe it's the same guy that's been doing some of the other hacks since MU went down from what I've heard.