UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'm actually looking forward to Gus's next fight after that performance. That guy showed out big time.

But I'm just hoping that we see Jones start finishing guys again.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Who the hell does Gus face next anyway?

He lost to Davis but he now trains with him, beat Shogun and Te Huna, Machida Belfort and Hendo are all booked up as are Chael and Rashad and Glover who's supposedly #1 Contender.

Looking at the rankings, that only leaves him Lil Nog and Moussasi.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Who the hell does Gus face next anyway?

He lost to Davis but he now trains with him, beat Shogun and Te Huna, Machida Belfort and Hendo are all booked up as are Chael and Rashad and Glover who's supposedly #1 Contender.

Looking at the rankings, that only leaves him Lil Nog and Moussasi.

Unless we have some fighter that decides he wants to move up from middleweight to light heavy. Never know these days. Or even someone dropping from heavyweight.

Fauche

Reaction score
If the rematch doesn't happen, or if Jones has foot problems / any other injuries that the apparently healthy Swede doesn't want to wait around for, a match with Gus might make sense to set up a clear #1 contendor. Available guys Mousasi or Lil Nog might want a crack at Gus too since a victory over him now looks like a clear path into top contention for anybody. Mousasi may not be a big name in the UFC and I'm not sure if he's even ready to go yet, but that's a fight that was supposed to happen anyways right? Or giving Gus Lil Nog or another name guy like Bader (also coming off a loss) might be a good to give him a win before taking another shot at the title too. As for Jones, he's got no shortage of viable contendors for the next while at least. The rematch with Gus is marketable. Glover has a huge win streak (tho credibility of all those names arguably dubious) historically has heavier hands than Gus, and could be argued that he'd have finished what Gus couldn't (I don't buy it, but that doesn't mean the UFC can't sell it that way). Also, assuming Cain retains and Cormier goes through Big Country, he might actually come down for a shot. Jones may insist that he take a tune-up fight, but Chael and Vitor didn't have to prove their worth in the divison as it is, and would Dana really risk losing the money fight by giving DC a warm-up fight to potentially lose? Also, by the time all those are taken care of, Phil Davis may actually have earned himself a credible win or two and along with them an argument for a shot. Jones could always just ditch the divison and jump to heavyweight too, but regardlss of what happens, its just nice to know he's got some challenges without having to back and dominate the old guys again - cause while watching him rip those guys apart was entertaining, I'd rather see a great fighter prove themselves under real pressure.

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Someone will become available for Gus. The kid has a chin, just not quite champion material yet. Would be cool if Silva & Jones fight catch weight start of next year like these "Superfights" are suppose to happen according to DW.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Well Glover is def supposed to be getting the next crack at Jones... and since Silva is fighting Weidman in Dec. superfight between those two will be off for quite a while IF that is to still happen.

But as far as Gus goes... the list of potential challengers are rather slim. Might just have him wait til after DC has his fight with Big Country and drop. Then you have your next challenger's fight. Although that would kinda be kicking guys like Belfort out since it looks like he maybe staying in light heavyweight... specially if he beats Hendo and considering the streak that he has been on should be getting a shot soon as well.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
No idea bout Vitor. Looks like he is gonna do one thing then does another. But yeah he might beat Hendo at light heavy then drop down to middle... but the guy needs a shot somewhere.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Been out of the loop with MMA lately but finally caught up on this show. Damn Gus did well. Thought it was too soon for him to take on Jones and I didn't think that he would push him as far as he did. Impressive performance and I would be up for a rematch right away. Being biased I thought that he had the first three rounds but as a challenger in a title fight you need to either finish or completely dominate so wasn't that surprised when Jones won the fight. Took a massive step forward with this fight and I look forward to seeing who he is up against next.

Barao just keeps on delivering, such a cool finish.