UFC 134: Rio

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Speaking of Schaub

If you were asked who should get the winner and the title shot against the winner of Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez afterUFC 139, would the name Brendan Schaub come to mind?
Perhaps not, but in Brendan Schaub's mind, it's him. That is, if he can getpast Nogueria at UFC 134 this weekend.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

While Schaub may have some work to do in garnering fansupport for a shot at the title, when once actually inventories where the topcontenders are in the UFC heavyweight division are, Schaub isn't far away. Atthe time of this writing, only Frank Mir and a potentially rejuvenated Brock Lesnar are ahead on the list.<o:p></o:p>

Schaub is aware he might have legwork to do in buildingfan support for any potential opportunity to contest for a title. He's had somegood wins in the UFC, but lacks that marquee performance that situates him intop contendership position. But that's precisely why Schaub seeks not only afight with the legendary Nogueira, but in Brazil. What Schaub seeks more thananything? Clarity. There should be no questions, no debate, no issue. A winover a ranked and highly-regarded opponent like Nogueira - particularly on hishome territory - is just the sort of accomplishment that can provide Schaub therecognition and momentum he needs.<o:p></o:p>

MMA Nation recently spoke withSchaub about what is likely to be the toughest and incontestably the mostimportant fight of his career. Schaub asserts a win over Nogueira should notonly put him in line for a title shot, but in this interview he talks hisdevelopment relative to his peers from season 10 of 'The Ultimate Fighter', thejiu-jitsu training from Amal Easton, Yushin Okami's chances against Anderson Silva and much more.
<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
Schaub isn't ready IMO. He couldn't take JDS or Cain, and he'll have to work hard to get past Big Nog.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I could see him picking up the win against Nogueria, but if he got in the ring with Dos Santos i think he'd get destroyed and if he fought Cain i think that'd be a hell of a fight, but it'd be hard for me to say that he could beat Cain.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
RIO DE JANEIRO – www.mmajunkie.com was on scene and reporting live from today's official UFC 134 fighter weigh-ins, where all competitors successfully made weight.

Today's weigh-ins took place in front of a rowdy crowd at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The venue also hosts Saturday's sold-out pay-per-view event, which is the UFC's first Brazilian show since 1998.

Headliner and middleweight champion Anderson Silva weighed 184 pounds, and challenger Yushin Okami weighed 183 pounds.

The Brazilians fans exploded in applause for each countrymen introduced. Non-Brazilians, though, were met with the chant "vai morrer!" That's Portuguese for "you'll die!"

Okami did little to curb those cat calls.

"I'm going to do my best, and I'm going to take home the belt," he said.

The full weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

• Champ Anderson Silva (184) vs. Yushin Okami (183)
  • Forrest Griffin (205) vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (205)
  • Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (243) vs. Brendan Schaub (247)
  • Luiz Cane (204) vs. Stanislav Nedkov (203)
  • Edson Barboza (155) vs. Ross Pearson (155)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

• Spencer Fisher (156) vs. Thiago Tavares (156)
  • Dan Miller (184) vs. Rousimar Palhares (185)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

• David Mitchell (171) vs. Paulo Thiago (169)
  • Raphael Assuncao (134) vs. Johnny Eduard (135)
  • Erick Silva (169) vs. Luis Ramos (171)
  • Felipe Arantes (145) vs. Yuri Alcantara (144)
  • Yves Jabouin (135) vs. Ian Loveland (135)

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
KenFlo's doing OK so far on commentary/interviews, but I miss Joe.
sad0019.gif

Ben

Reaction score
Minus the first round Miller just got worked over, still though exciting fight, prob would of had the stoppage in the first if he would of just kept landing ground and pound.

I'll have streams up in this thread at the start of the PPV, for those interested in watching the main card.

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
We got it on ESPN over here thankfully, only costs £9 a month for the channel along with a few others.

YEAH

Ben

Reaction score
Wish I had that option I'll buy a show here and there, but mostly just catch it at a bar or stream it at home.

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
If I was in the Rio crowd, I'd come wearing a Chael Sonnen mask cause I'm FEARLESS.

cool0040.gif

Just kidding, overrating myself there. That would be suicidal.

scared0016.gif

Ben

Reaction score
My picks for the card

Cane
Barboza
Big Nog
Griffin
Silva

Ben

Reaction score
Need to see a Brazilian get knocked out, so I can hear the crowd goe ape shit.