UFC 134: Rio

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The_Edge

Reaction score
The Place Where Americans Think Always Snows
Layla - Deal Or No Deal's #13(Former Diva Search Finalist)

milani.jpg

leyla3.jpg

leyla1.jpg

aaa_sized.jpg

5s7gk.jpg

imported_zero

ok ma nyou post lots and it makes me happy when you post divas and women man thanks for the share REP added

Ben

Reaction score
[SIZE=2pt]UFC 134 will be LIVE! Saturday, August 27th, 2011 from The HSBC Arena, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

UFC_134_Poster.jpg

Main Event:

Middleweight Championship: Anderson Silva (c) (28-4) vs Yushin Okami (26-5)

Main Card:

205lbs: Forrest Griffin (18-6) vs Shogun Rua (19-5)
265lbs: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-6-1) vs Brendan Schaub (8-1)
155lbs: Edson Barboza (8-0) vs Ross Pearson (12-4)
205lbs: Luiz Cane (11-3) vs Stanislav Nedkov (11-0)

Preliminary Card(Airing on SpikeTV):

155lbs: Spencer Fisher (24-7) vs Thiago Tavares (15-4-1)
170lbs: Paulo Thiago (13-3) vs David Mitchell (11-1)

Preliminary Card(Airing on Facebook):

185lbs: Rousimar Palhares (12-3) vs Dan Miller (13-5-0-1)
145lbs: Yuri Alcantara (24-3) vs Felipe Arantes (13-3)
170lbs: Mike Swick (14-4) vs Erick Silva (12-1-1)
135lbs: Yves Jabouin (15-7) vs Ian Loveland (14-8)
135lbs: Raphael Assunção (16-4) vs Darren Uyenoyama (6-3)[/SIZE]​

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I'm actually really looking forward to this show.

Anytime that Anderson Silva fights i watch, everything that the guy does in the octagon is incredible and i really think between him and GSP they're the best two fighter's in the world.

Forrest Griffen, i'm not that big of a fan but i think he's one of the toughest fighters out there, and Shogun always puts on a great fight everytime he steps into the octagon.

Nogueira/Schaub might be my favorite fight on this card, i still think that Schaub should've won the ultimate fighter a few years back i think compared to Roy Nelson who won the show, Schaub is lightyears ahead of him in terms of being a true UFC competitor. And really understanding the sport plus he packs one hell of punch. He sort of reminds me of Cain Velasquez in a way also.

Ben

Reaction score
Video Preview For The Event

[video=youtube;N32FfimD8qQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N32FfimD8qQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Ben

Reaction score
Dana White Talks Okami

In my opinion, Yushin Okami is the best fighter to ever come out of Japan. This guy didn't come up fighting cans and get this built-up, mythological record. This guy's been fighting the absolute best for years, and I'm sure he feels, and a lot of people feel that he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Now he's going in against the pound for pound best fighter in the world, probably the best fighter ever in mixed martial arts. Not only, if he wins this fight, he'll get the credit he deserves, but he'll be the best in the world."
Dana White was very outspoken about number one UFC middleweight contender, Yushin Okami, yesterday (August 16, 2011) during the UFC 134 media conference call. Okami is slated to face pound-for-pound king and UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, in the main event as the world's top MMA promotion heads to Brazil for the first time in over 10 years. While many of the top Japanese MMA fighters have struggled in their US debuts, Okami has been very consistent, holding an 11-2 record in the UFC since making his debut five years ago. "Thunder" is also the last man to defeat Anderson Silva, earning a disqualification victory in January of 2006. Does White have a point?

He's a good fighter but Silva is pound for pound the best fighter in the world, and with this fight being in Brazil I see even more of a reason for him to come out with a top notch performance.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
An undisclosed injury has forced UFC welterweight Mike Swick (14-4 MMA, 9-3 UFC) out of a planned contest with Erick Silva (12-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 134.

UFC officials announced the withdrawal late Thursday night and promising that a replacement opponent would be announced in the near future.

The bout was expected be part of the preliminary card of UFC 134, which takes place Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio De Janeiro. The pay-per-view headliner pits middleweight champion Anderson Silva against Yushin Okami.

"Mike Swick's long-awaited comeback to the octagon will have to wait a little longer after he was forced to withdraw from his UFC 134 bout against Erick Silva due to injury," the statement read.

Swick, who had hoped to make his 13th UFC appearance during his sixth year with the organization, would have been fighting for the first time in a year and a half.

The fighter, who joined the UFC as a cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 1," suffered back-to-back losses to Dan Hardy (decision) and Paulo Thiago (submission) before his recent hiatus. Prior to the skid, the American Kickboxing Academy fighter and former middleweight climbed into welterweight title contention with consecutive wins over Josh Burkman, Marcus Davis, Jonathan Goulet and Ben Saunders.

However, an initially misdiagnosed stomach ailment has put him on the sidelines recently.

Silva, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu and judo black belt, is riding an eight-fight win streak after competing throughout his native Brazil. The six-year pro trains with many of the country's top fighters, including Anderson Silva and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, and most recently won a four-man single-night tournament to win the first-ever Jungle Fight welterweight title.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Dana White is kicking himself a little bit.

When 350,000 people got online to purchase tickets for UFC 134 at the 14,000-seat HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, it was clear the UFC had underestimated demand.

Needless to say, the Brazilian event sold out in short time.

"We probably could have done a little bigger arena, but we played it safe the first time down here," White said today. "But this is a big deal, we're excited about it, and we're pumped about this card."

Headlined by a middleweight title bout between reigning champion Anderson Silva and Yushin Okami, UFC 134 is the promotion's first event in Brazil in 13 years. Its sole foray into South America came on Oct. 16, 1998, for "UFC Ultimate Brazil," which took place at Ginasio da Portuguesa in Sao Paulo.

Of course, the sport of the late 1990s is nothing like that of today, nor is the UFC's popularity.

Silva's headlining bout at UFC 126 with countryman Vitor Belfort reportedly brought bars to a halt when the fight aired in the middle of the night in Brazil.

Now headed back to what's widely considered to be the birthplace of MMA, White said the UFC plans to hold more events in cities across Brazil, and UFC 134 is an important first step in establishing a foothold.

"Obviously, Brazil has exploded in popularity for mixed martial arts and the UFC, and the guys we have fighting in the UFC and on this card are icons in the sports world down there," he said. "So yeah, it's a big deal."

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, who co-headlines UFC 134 on Aug. 27, spoke about the change in attitudes toward MMA.

"I always have been connected to sports when I was a kid ... including fighting, and (I) always followed MMA, which was vale tudo back in those days," he said through translator Eduardo Alonso. "I loved to watch fighting movies; I like (Jean-Claude) Van-Damme and even action movies like 'Rambo.'

"Unfortunately, when I was a kid, there was a lot of prejudice toward fighting in Brazil, and vale tudo and MMA, people didn't understand it. And to see it be understood and really growing to the point where we are now, where we can say we are at the top of the game reaching (the) mainstream, it's a really great feeling.

"It means a lot to all of us, and to see the UFC come here, it's pretty much the pinnacle of all that."

Champ Silva noted the long history of Brazilian vale-tudo (or "anything-goes") fighters. His fight with Okami is the ninth defense of his title in what's been a record-breaking career in the sport.

"It's a great opportunity for MMA in Brazil," he said. "I'm very excited."

And if demand for UFC 134 is any indication of the country's appetite for MMA, a stadium-type show can't be far away.

MMAJunkie.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Brazilian welterweight Luis Ramos (19-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has signed a multi-fight contract with the UFC and will step in for an injured Mike Swick to meet Erick Silva (12-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 134.

The two will meet in one of five contests streamed live on Facebook.

UFC 134 takes place Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. David Mitchell vs. Paulo Thiago, Raphael Assuncao vs. Johnny Eduardo, Felipe Arantes vs. Yuri Alcantara and Yves Jabouin vs. Ian Loveland will also take place on the Facebook-streamed portion of the card.

The Mitchell vs. Thiago bout was expected to air on Spike TV but was bumped in favor of Dan Miller vs. Rousimar Palhares.

UFC 134 will serve as the eighth consecutive event the organization has made its entire lineup available for live viewing. The streak began with April's historic "UFC 129: St-Pierre vs. Shields" event.

A Nova Uniao fighter, Ramos makes his octagon debut on the strength of a three-fight win streak in regional competition. He notably entered a welterweight tournament held by the Holland-based Glory promotion and was outpointed by UFC vet Roan Carneiro.

On paper, Ramos doesn't share the finishing prowess of UFC champion teammate Jose Aldo. Eleven of his 19 career wins come by way of decision.

Silva, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu and judo black belt, is riding a eight-fight win streak after competing throughout his native Brazil. The six-year pro trains with many of the country's top fighters, including Anderson Silva and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, and most recently won a four-man single-night tournament to win the first-ever Jungle Fight welterweight title.

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
Yeah, I've only been watching for about a year so I'm not exactly a MMA encyclopedia but I still enjoy the hell out of watching it. Been going back and watching a lot of past events too.

Particularly excited for this card for Forrest. :D

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
Shogun will definitely be motivated after losing to Bones, but the guy has had a few knee surgeries.

Big Nog/Schaub should be interesting. Schaub's decent, but not entirely convinced that he can be a contender, beating Cro Cop in 2011 doesn't do much for me. Just have to see what he can do in Rio.