TT.Tiger tamer

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

JMay187

Reaction score
Bookers Chat Room and Storyline Thread

Hand Guide to the Be The Booker

Step 1 - Deciding on a Project
The first thing you have to do is decide what kind of federation do you want to create, whether it be a simple WWE, or a created federation from your own imagination, or a deceased federation of the past like WCW, ECW, NWA or something along those lines, or even you want to create an Indy federation. If you’re not very knowledgeable about these companies or Indy wrestlers, I suggest sticking with WWE or creating your own. Once you have done that, you need to pick an owner of the company and someone with booking powers (a General Manager, a Commissioner) or something like that.

Step 2 - Creating a Roster
A suggestion to a newer writer is to start off with 40 superstars, I believe 40 is a great number because you will be able to write special events like the Royal Rumble and have enough, while at the same time being able to use the majority of the superstars on your roster, so that nobody is left out, while not writing a six hour show each week. If your doing a split federation (Raw & Smackdown shows) , then I’d suggest that both rosters have 25 superstars, again it will be more than enough for special events, but it will be small enough so that no member of your roster is left out. Now, you might say how can I narrow it down to 40 superstars, well here are some helpful hints. First, separate that 40 into Main Eventers, Mid-Carders, cruiser weights, tag teams and jobbers. You should have 6-8 Main Eventers (title contenders that the headline the show), 10 mid-carders (guys that compete for the US or IC title, they fill in the gaps), around 5 tag teams (self explanatory, so 5 teams out 2=10), and around 7-8 Cruiserweights (guys like Gregory Helms, Chavo Guerrero and Rey Mysterio) if you have a Cruiserweight division, guys that you can elevate into the mid-card area if it becomes stale or into the Tag Team Division for a short period of time. Finally throw in a few guys that you don't care about (Eugene, Snitsky, Dykstra, etc.) that can be used to make your bigger guys look stronger.

Step 2 - Creating Your Titles
After you have your roster, its time to create your titles, normally I would suggest keeping the amount of titles down, maybe 4 championships, a World Title (most important, for the Main Event) a mid card title (say IC or US to use as a stepping stone) and the Tag Team Titles....And finally exit off with a Cruiserweight Title or something to a similar effect to add some flair into the show. Another title you could add is the Hardcore Title, or something along those lines, again you don't have to call them (Intercontinental Title) feel free to come up with something new like the Atlantic title, or something along those lines, after you've decided on that, it's time to move on. If you have split brands then having the IC and the US on opposite shows is always a good idea. The Cruiserweight and the Women's Championship can act as the small titles on each show as well.

Step 3 - Begin Planning
First off, it's best to plan a few months ahead so you know exactly what you want to accomplish, for example if you decide to do a WWE BTB, and you want to start at the beginning of the wrestling year (April), then first thing you should do once you have your roster and titles, is figure out what you want to do at the next PPV like feuds and such, and then work backwards, that way you will have an exact direction that you want to take your work. Have a few months planned out before you write, keep in mind that you can still make changes as you go. But be sure to have general direction of where you want to go.

Step 4 - Developing characters and story lines
Once you have everything planned, and a basic outline of what you want to see happen, its time to start writing, over the first couple of shows is when you start building your story lines, highlighting your feature talent and establishing your champions, however just as important and most often ignored is character development. While it is difficult to do with a large roster, it is important that everyone on your roster have his or her own distinguished personality to set them apart, and when your roster is shortened (40 or especially 25) it's important to create distinction between each and every person on the roster. For example, you want to establish a monster, you use Kane, in a simple promo or act demonstrates that he is a monster with no conscience. Developing characters and pushing them correctly is the best way to get recognition for your project.

Step 5 - Writing the Show
Now that you have a good idea of your roster, a rough plan of what you want to do, its time to write your show, until you feel comfortable writing, I suggest using this formula.

1 - Opening Promo
2 - First Match
3 - Small Promo/Mid-card Match
4 - Promo to Set-up PPV match
5 - Tag Team Match
6 - Promo to set-up match next week/IC Title Match
7 - Main Event

Once you gain some comfort and confidence, you will be free to break away from this, start with match at the beginning, or end the show with a promo, but for newer writers I suggest it because it covers everything you need, and sets up for the next show. Now for match writing, now I suggest not writing full matches, just providing the ending of the match and aftermath, although I suggest for PPV's writing the full match, cause just the ending of a WrestleMania main event wont cut it. (I write full matches because I like getting into detail with it)

Step 6- Be Creative
One of the greatest BTB's I have ever read was one where the matches themselves weren't necessarily 5 stars, but because the story lines were so unique, it was an instant hit. Be creative, and be original, take these characters that you have created and molded and throw them through situations, like friendship, betrayal, depression, manipulation, loss of faith and much more..... Experiment with characters; find out what works and what doesn’t, what works for one writer doesn’t work for another, find what works for you.

Notes:

Learn from your mistakes, as a beginner no one is expecting you to be the greatest booker ever in the first month or so, just learn from your mistakes and from the advice that others give you on your BTB.

Use nice grammar and organization. Nothing can throw a reader off like bad grammar and disorganized work. I suggest using bold, italics and underlines that will save you a lot of trouble. Some color will also make your BTB look good.

If someone didn't like your work don't take it personal, learn from it.

Always use constructive criticism and not flaming.

I hope this little hand book helped you realize what BTB is all about.

CREDIT: The_Anigma

All Credit for this handbook should be given to The Anigma

--------------------------------------------

Hand Guide to a Popular BTB
by: GardsJr

Okay also look at JMay and Anigma's handguide because that is getting you started this is just to make sure you can have a popular BTB. I will start with with a few main things.

1.Paragraphs: Okay if you are fairly new to writing this kind of thing then well after someone speaks then put 2 enter space down, also you can also add paragraphs to your matches so that they can be easier to read. I don't but some of the most popular BTB'ers do like Weebo and CMS and some of us don't like SWA Anarchy GM and Leviathan that is fine.

2. Read Other people BTB's and review. When you review, the person you review is likely to review your BTB back. You can get some good ideas and then you can import SOME ideas into yours but don't copy the idea straight then you will get hatred and you really don't want that.

3. Colour and presentation: Okay this is probably one of the main things in having a successful BTB. Most people use red for matches and so on. But never overload your show with colour or put a colour that can't be seen well. Some people use bold and other use italics. Whatever you do look at the preview before actually posting the show.

4. Length: Another inportant factor. If you can only write recaps then write recaps but make them sort of long. But not like this

Shannon Moore vs Jimmy Wang Yang
Yang hits a moonsault on Moore and then makes the pin 1...2...3

That is to short. If you have a heat like show that goes on before your main show then that is fine but don't do that for your main shows. It makes for short shows. Here is what I would have written.

Shannon Moore vs Jimmy Wang Yang.
Moore has the advantage with an armbar locked in as Yang is screaming in pain. Moore wrenches the hold as Yang screams again. Yang then tries to get to his feet and he is able too. Yang then rallies back with elbows to the sternum before coming off the ropes and Moore telegraphs the back body drop and Yang gives him a hard kick to the shoulder. Yang then comes off the ropes and hits a spinning heel lariat. Yang then climbs to the top rope and turns facing the screaming crowd. Moore gets to his feet and Yang leaps of the turnbuckle and hits a moonsault and then he makes the pin 1...2..3

Okay that is quite short only because I ain't good at writing recaps. Try to grow out of writing recaps as you go along but if you don't then that's fine. Do what you want its your BTB. The only few things with that is try and write full matches for the PPV's and even the main event if possible.

5. Be creative and Original. Try not to do something that someone else has done but if you want you can do a WWE or TNA BTB. The only thing with those is if you can't really choose your roster. If you want you can do a booker with a specific theme to it then do it. That is what I did with CWA. You can also do what other's do. Create an original BTB like HEW, SWA or BTW.

6. Take Criticizem into account. If other's critisize your work then take that into account. If you write full matches then if you need to make them longer then try and do that. If you need to make longer promo's then try to do that etc.

7. Make a long term Storyline: If you don't do this then readers might lose interest. Alot of people do this but some people don't. So let's keep those storylines going just not too long that it gets boring.

8. Don't lose your Passion. This is the main reason for people quitting there BTB. They lose interest in this because nobody give reviews. So do this for fun and remember this also for others enjoyment. In other words stick to it and it will gain popularity over time.

9. Pauses: I seriously hate when people who are not counting down the page count their pins likethis 1..............................2.................................3 it is so irritating and look hoow much room it took up so please don't do this.

10. Don't spam up your thread or others: Okay this is what I hate the most. People who post in other peoples threads or there own with nothing at all to do with the BTB. It makes it hard to actually review shows

11. Try to keep up with your own BTB:
Try to keep track of storylines in your own BTB, also write your show before you actually try and post it. What I mean is, write your show on word or notepad before putting it on the site

12.Try and get Graphics for PPV's: For PPV matches you can either get C4 or Weebo to make them for you. Or if you are any good get a match picture for it

13.You don't have too post your show on the same day as it says: You do not have to follow a pattern with your BTB just go along with the flow. Post your show whenever it is ready. Hint: Try and post your show when alot of people are on.

Okay that is all. Thank you for your time and if someone PM's me or I think of something else I will update it.

Kennedy

Reaction score
Can you do more than ONE BTB a month.

MikeRaw

BTB's arent meant to have a bunch of...You just make one and keep that same one going,so it's like you have your own little company and you just run a number of shows in that one BTB.You don't need a bunch though...

convoy71

Most of what is said here is pretty easy to come up with except, for what is called "blow by blow", hit for hit. I can write the initial hits, moves but not an almost entire match. The beginning and ending is easy. What do I do?

The Anigma

Reaction score
you can always just write recaps like the major points in the match if you can't write out an entire match...

xtremebadass

If you ask me, writiing the entire match gives you a better rep here in BTB, starting off writing short recaps doesn't bring you much to the table early on, so if you want to write recaps, atleast start off writing long matches to atleast show others that you can do the job. (IMO)

The Anigma

Reaction score
that is a good point xtreme but since he doesn't write full matches and that's a weakness or whatever I think it would be best if he wrote recaps...just what I think...

PeepShow

That would be pretty cool IMO. Have vids of matches......that would rock!!

Fatal 55

Reaction score
Great idea... it could be the new age of BTB's !

the only problem i see though is stuff like people interferring and stuff...

i'd give it a go m8 if you could and see how it goes. it might save a lot of hassle and be very good to advance the story line

The Anigma

Reaction score
it would be interesting to see how it turns out and could revolutionize BTB...I don't believe anyone has ever done that...

Dadude19

Reaction score
Wow that really helped. What a great idea planning ahead. I never used to do that and I could never think of sotrylines. Thanks. This really help's thank's for the help.

Reaction score
Well i'll go start making a BTB later when i get home and if possible let me be the first to do the game simulation thing cause i wanna make my BTB original . . .