TV True Detective

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
New HBO series whic h will run 8 episodes. From a article I've read if they do a second season it's going to feature a different story/detectives and obviously new characters.

Show covers two different time periods at the same time, starting in 2012 with the 2 detectives telling the story of a brutal murder case from back in 1995. Which makes this a good show so far is all the different layers so far. There's the mystery of the 95 case being told, along with trying to unravel what happened to the two detectives that make them estranged and much different in 2012. Plus it appears that they caught the wrong guy originally in 95 based on the fact that a murder of the same place has taken place in 2012.

Suggest everyone to check this out though as the first episode was really one done, and Harrelson and McConaughey both really nail there parts and it's surprising based on there other films you figured the roles would be flipped in what characters they play.

Ben

Reaction score
Second episode of the season was even better than the first. There's just so much going on to keep you interested. This week we got more story on the characters Hart and Cohle and a little less on the actual case. Plus Alexandra Daddario got naked which was a def plus:Giggity:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Cant begin to describe how upset I was with the announcements of all my favorite HBO shows coming to an end. There really was only GoT and a final season of Boardwalk Empire that kept me around, but this show is awesome.

Asides from Woody, I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything I liked about the show, but it has landed some shockers, mainly the fact Woody & McConaughey should played the others role(or you would atleast expect they would have giving their histories) and still pulling out a great performance. I don't want to give anything away, but other crime dramas fail to hold up anymore, and I was a huge fan of NCIS & Criminal Minds.

Ben

Reaction score
Another great episode. Looks like things are really going to pick up as they enter the second half of the story.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
"Who walks that fucking slow?" Ahhh jesus I'm loving this show. The chemistry between McConaughey and Harrelson is great. That final image of ep 3. :mark: Chills.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
No new episode this week due to the Superbowl, this show is now definitely going to overlap with Walking Dead. C'mon well placed replays!

I am starting to wonder if a second season would even be a good idea at this point. This season is by far the best thing I have seen on HBO in an opener(and yes that includes Game of Thrones, Oz, and Sopranos) and trying to recreate the magic this season has, with great chemistry, the "out of their element, but feels completely natural" take on the main characters, and the actual detective drama where the final outcome hasn't become blatantly clear, I just don't know if it is possible to be on par with, never mind being better than this season.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I am starting to wonder if a second season would even be a good idea at this point.

Supposed to be an anthology so second season could be a whole new beast.

To Ben's point of it seeming different based on the two different time periods it very much reminds me Primal Fear (think it was that movie Richard Gere and Edward Norton) But that was one detective and a prisoner going over a murder he commited.

Seems to me that The Black detectives are suspecting McConaughy of framing someone for the serial murders or suspecting him of doing new ones. I think it's pretty telegraphed that he is a suspect.

That aside the dialog is great and makes the show. The two do really work well together and the females in the show are both great also. Ive not looked at teh cast listing for further episodes but I hope the guy "big bad" is someone really great.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I know how it is supposed to work, I just doubt they will be able to recreate the chemistry and make a second season that is as badassed as the first few episodes have been of season 1. Its all just doubts, and I would be all the happier if a second season does prove to be better, its just it is going to be very difficult to pull off.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Really think it would all depend on the cast. I'd try and get Kurt Russell (he's usually great as a cop in the grey area) partner him with someone kinda young. Jake Gylenhall would be great after seeing prisoners.

Again all about the pairing they decide to make.

Ben

Reaction score
Its going to be hard to recreate characters as complex as the 2 from this season. This show is getting awesome reviews so they should be able to attract some good big name actors.

Personally I'd like to see the second season cover 2 detectives in a early 1950's setting....the game LA noire comes to mind as I really enjoyed that.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
It'd be compared to LA Noire or Black Dahlia maybe the 70s don't see a lot based on that period yet.

Ben

Reaction score
Last 20 minutes of tonight's episodes were amazing. The whole escape from the deal gone wrong was just so well done really tense there. Looks like there teasing the Cohle had something to do with these murders though based on the previews and the questions the 2 detectives in present time are asking. Really hope they don't go that way, and it's just a tease.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Its a misdirection for sure, I think Queseda could be behind it, and took them off the case because they were getting too close. Would explain the internal review.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is coming to the UK soon, saw the trailer last night and it looks pretty good. Will be worth it just for the leads.

Ben

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that Cohle has been back on the case since 2002 and is NOT the killer. He's either deep under cover or in off-book vigilante mode. He's been following the trail for a decade and waiting for those powerful forces behind the murders to give him a chance to crack the case, once and for all. Another good episode though, and just sad at this point that the show is ending.