Tough Enough to Possibly Return

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
timthumb.php

tvdoneright.com said:
The USA Network is making a push with reality-series, and it turns to a familiar face.

The USA Network will revive the WWE reality-show Tough Enough. The network already has a working relationship with the pro-wrestling company, airing its flagship show Monday Night Raw.

Tough Enough lasted three season on MTV and UPN. It follows a set of contestants battling out for a WWE contract. The only winner still currently with the WWE is John Hennigan (aka John Morrison). But the series has launched several WWE careers.

It is expected that The USA Network will run Tough Enough in tandem with Monday night RAW.

I hope that this series does return to television. It was a fantastic show for the first three seasons, the fourth was terrible when it was just part of Smackdown, and it is what NXT should have been. Make it an actual reality show and keep the format exactly the same as it was for the first three seasons. USA Network want more reality shows on their network and they have a huge connection to WWE so WWE can bring it back on their channel.

Do you want to see Tough Enough again? Did you like the original Tough Enough?

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Well I think like the first two seasons of NXT were done rather nicely. Well minus the whole talk the talk, obstacle course, punching game crap. I mean like keep the stupidness of that stuff out and you had a good show where everyone has a chance to really shine. Tough Enough had that. But they would also need something like NXT had. So something like a half and half where you can have superstars mentoring them throughout the show, but keep the Tough Enough aspect where they're doing actual stuff for endurance and testing their actual skills and the such.

So I'm divided on it until I see it played out.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Thr first time around it worked suprisling well, but it did run out of stearm by the third or fourth series, and it is not a realistic or productive way for WWE to create new top talent.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The way I saw it was that NXT was a way to create new top talent whereas Tough Enough was a way to promote the company and in the end get a few talents for the future. The impact of the winner of Tough Enough takes much longer than it does NXT since they haven't been in the WWE developmental system and that takes time. I also think that WWE won't neccessarily just be looking at it as a way to create new talent, it will simply be that they can get another hour of WWE on television and get paid for that.

I wonder who the trainers will be for this season if it does go ahead? Thinking that they won't use wrestlers on the current roster I think that some logical choices could be Finlay, Billy Kidman and Jillian Hall.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well I remain unconviced by NXT also, I doubt there will be many coming out of that show who will go on to make names for themselfs. And if what you say is true, that is just another way to get another hour of pay TV then that is a waste. Paid TV should be for the talent already under contracts. The best thing for new talent with no experience is to be trained in private away from the camaras.

JKdog

Reaction score
NXT season one and two were entertaining, at least too me. I became invested in the storylines and the superstars, making me actually care about them. I gave NXT a chance and it was fun. Not enough people did that. As for Tough Enough, I have never watched that in my entire life, but I've seen a list of the guys that have came out of there, and it's pretty impressive. However, I see ultimate failure for this show.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Tough Enough for me was a much better show than NXT. It was a very unique concept when it started out and it was such a departure from what WWE produced with their other shows it made it even for intriguing. NXT was supposed to be a departure from the normal programming but it turned into a normal WWE show with stupid contests. The concept was good for NXT and the wrestling and intercation between the rookies and pros was great but the extra gimmicks hurt it.

If they can reproduce that actual reality feel of the first three seasons of Tough Enough I will be very happy and it should be a success. They need to resist the temptation to make it artificial and keep it as realistic as possible.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I agree with you about the reason TE was better then NXT Troy, but I just think it is time to leave the idea in the past.

Another thing about NXT, if you take what happened with Daniel Bryan, yes that was a great story which is much freshen than about 90% of what WWE has done in recent years. But the thing is Daniel Bryan was already a ten year pro and has all the talent in the world anyway. So there is a chance he would have got over in WWE eventally anyway. So really I don't think the show helps Rookies that much apart from giving them more exposure, but then if they are not ready for TV anyway then what is the point. On the other hand you have people like DB who are not rookies, who if they want to develp they might as well just send to FCW.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
This is what the casting call says about the series:

Are you TOUGH ENOUGH to become the next WWE SUPERSTAR?

WWE and the USA Network are bringing back the hit reality competition show Tough Enough! One competitor will earn a WWE contract and be the next WWE Superstar!!!

Casting Producers are searching the world to find extraordinary men and women with the following qualities:

- CHARISMA
- PERSONALITY
- ATHLETICISM
- AGILITY
- STAMINA
- STRENGTH
- And an INTENSE DESIRE to be the next WWE SUPERSTAR!

If you believe you have what it takes to not only earn the contract, but excel in World Wrestling Entertainment... Apply now.

So this time around only one trainee will gain a contract with WWE, although we all know what WWE are like and they will probably hire a few more for FCW. I wonder if people with previous wrestling experience will be allowed to apply? Will any indy stars be allowed to get onto the show or will they just go with pure rookies?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Troy I hate to tell you this, but the first time around they gave the winner a contract, its just that as is likely to be the case here, they sent him or her down to OVW for proper training first. Which is part the problem, this idea that they can train someone to a wrestler in 10 weeks, is a total fantasy.

This is just backwards thinking by WWE, and a basic flaw is that they are running it, at a time when they already have NXT. Now I know there are slight differences, but really the idea behind show is pretty much the same.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
If the show isn't a glimpse behind the curtain, and show off the hardships of being a wrestler, than whats the point?

I don't want to see some kayfabe crap show.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I want to see a more realistic show as well. It has to be an actual reality show rather than a completely kayfabe show like NXT. That is what made it different and what made it great viewing for me.

I don't mind that they then have to go to FCW after they win, I would rather see that then have them debut on the main roster too soon. Plus it agains makes it all the more realistic, I want to see the progression over the weeks and the training methods used by the trainers to teach these new wrestlers the skills required to make it in WWE. If it is like Season 1 of Tough Enough I will be over the moon.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well I disagree with you two on that, because I am very old school, and think the biz has been exposed enough. I have a problem with fans seeing all the secrets of Wrestling, there is a difference between knowing it is a show, and knowing everything about it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Seeing the velvet curtain lift for MMA was the thing that brought it into the mainstream, seeing these people who have bad tattoos, act insecure and have genuine feelings did more for MMA than 15 years of lobbying did.

It could do the same for WWE, people know its a work. Even the biggest marks know that its predetermined, if they show what happens to these guys and what theyu go through for our enjoyment, than maybe, more people will show an appreciation that is the art of Pro-Wrestling.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Tell me this through when was the wrestling biz at its hottest? The 80's I would say to you. And the reason, because the fans could buy into what happened in the ring, and they believed in the wrestlers. Pro Wrestling is about mistique, even if people know it's a show, you can still have that wonder about how they do what they do, and you can suspend your belieaf for three hours or whatever the case may be.

Look at promotions like ROH, their fans except then what they are watching is work, and that ROH meet them half way, by still giving them cutting edge characters, and believeable disputes. Even if what you are suggesting does work for WWE, it will kill the rest of wrestling.

Don't get me wrong I love things like Shoot Interviews, I think they provide a great insight, but it is still possible have things like that, but have a hard hitting product which doesn't expose itself. Ask people like Jim Cornette and Bobby Heenan if they think the way Wrestling has gone is for the better, and you will get a very different picture, and these guys know their stuff.