Top Ten WWF/WWE Royal Rumble PPV's?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
One of the longest running and most sucessful wrestling events in history, but what are your top ten rumble events or even top ten rumble bouts?

Events
1. 2001
2. 1995
3. 1992
4. 2000
5. 1993
6. 2007
8. 2003
9. 1990
10. 1991

Rumble matches
1. 1992
2. 2007
3. 1998
4. 1997
5. 2002
6. 1993
7. 2003
8. 1990
9. 2009
10. 2000

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Rumble Events:
1. 2001 - A strong card top to bottom, with the classic Ladder match between Jericho and Benoit standing out. I was also a fan of the Rumble match as well.
2. 2007 - Like the PPV in 2001, this show consisted of good undercard, with another classic in the mix as well, followed by a highly enjoyable Rumble match. Honestly, I don't remember that much of the Rumble match itself, apart from the final few minutes with Michaels and Undertaker. But those final few moments are so good that I feel that it in itself warrants to be ranked up with some of the best Rumble matches ever.
3. 2000 - The show has a lot of filler, and a relatively weak Rumble match line-up, but Triple H and Cactus Jack is so good that it makes the entire event look that much better. In my opinion it's the best non-Rumble match ever.
4. 1995 - While the Rumble match itself wasn't that good (although I was a fan of the ending), the show does have two very good matches in Jarrett/Ramon & Hart/Diesel.
5. 2008 - A great MSG crowd, a surprise return and two good title matches. There were no classics on this show, but pretty much everything was solid here.
6. 2011 - I wasn't a fan of the 40-man Rumble idea at first, but I thought it made for an enjoyable match in the end. That, as well as a great World title match between Edge and Ziggler made this a really entertaining show.
7. 2003 - A fairly standard show helped greatly by an excellent match between Angle and Benoit. I know I said HHH/Jack was the best non-Rumble match ever, but this match is right up there with it.
8. 2002 - I loved Triple H's return here, and the Rumble match itself was very solid I felt. The show also had Jericho/The Rock, which I remember as being quite good.
9. 2004 - I haven't seen this PPV for a few years now, but I remember the Rumble match being a really fun watch. Can't say the same for the rest of the card, but that match alone warrants a place on the list.
10. 1992 - I'm not as big a fan of this Rumble as other people, but the Rumble match is good enough to barley make it on the list.

Looking back, there's not too many great Royal Rumble PPVs. A lot have been hampered by a poor undercard and an underwhelming Rumble match in the past, and I think it kind of shows here. I can really only name 2001 and 2007 that have a solid undercard, and a great Rumble match.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Rumble Events:
1. 2001 - A strong card top to bottom, with the classic Ladder match between Jericho and Benoit standing out. I was also a fan of the Rumble match as well.
2. 2007 - Like the PPV in 2001, this show consisted of good undercard, with another classic in the mix as well, followed by a highly enjoyable Rumble match. Honestly, I don't remember that much of the Rumble match itself, apart from the final few minutes with Michaels and Undertaker. But those final few moments are so good that I feel that it in itself warrants to be ranked up with some of the best Rumble matches ever.
3. 2000 - The show has a lot of filler, and a relatively weak Rumble match line-up, but Triple H and Cactus Jack is so good that it makes the entire event look that much better. In my opinion it's the best non-Rumble match ever.
4. 1995 - While the Rumble match itself wasn't that good (although I was a fan of the ending), the show does have two very good matches in Jarrett/Ramon & Hart/Diesel.
5. 2008 - A great MSG crowd, a surprise return and two good title matches. There were no classics on this show, but pretty much everything was solid here.
6. 2011 - I wasn't a fan of the 40-man Rumble idea at first, but I thought it made for an enjoyable match in the end. That, as well as a great World title match between Edge and Ziggler made this a really entertaining show.
7. 2003 - A fairly standard show helped greatly by an excellent match between Angle and Benoit. I know I said HHH/Jack was the best non-Rumble match ever, but this match is right up there with it.
8. 2002 - I loved Triple H's return here, and the Rumble match itself was very solid I felt. The show also had Jericho/The Rock, which I remember as being quite good.
9. 2004 - I haven't seen this PPV for a few years now, but I remember the Rumble match being a really fun watch. Can't say the same for the rest of the card, but that match alone warrants a place on the list.
10. 1992 - I'm not as big a fan of this Rumble as other people, but the Rumble match is good enough to barley make it on the list.

Looking back, there's not too many great Royal Rumble PPVs. A lot have been hampered by a poor undercard and an underwhelming Rumble match in the past, and I think it kind of shows here. I can really only name 2001 and 2007 that have a solid undercard, and a great Rumble match.

Would add 93 to that. The rumble is not normally mentioned amongst peoples favourites, but I felt the story of Backland almost winning, Gonzale's shocking debut (maybe more shocking in a bad way through) and Yokozuna's elevation made for a very watchable match, not to mention very strong IC and World title matches and a solid big man bout on the undercard.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'm just gonna do the Rumble matches themselves if ya don't mind.

1. 1992(WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!)
2. 2001(KANE)
3. 2004(Greatness despite the fact)
4. 1998(Austin was awesome)
5. 2007(Michaels/Taker really took off)
6. 2002(Huge Trips fan)
7. 2011(Huge Del Rio fan)
8. 2009(Before the debacle of Orton/HHH at WM 25)
9. 1997(Austin/Bret)
10. 1999(I actually enjoyed the McMahon/Austin stuff here even others were more deserving of winning)

I may need a refresher on a few but this pretty much my list.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Would say that the 2009 match was my recent favourite, most rumbles are fairly watchable, but I don't think many of the recent ones have lived up to the 90s.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I don't remember much about the individual rumble matches themselves because honestly they're just so LONG and slow that I'm usually doing something else when I re-watch them. But my favorite Royal Rumble ppv was 1998 because it was just a really entertaining card and honestly there's some nostalgic factor in there too. I also liked 1992, 1997, and 2000 as well in no particular order. Those were all great events.

In pertains to the 1998 card though, there really needs to be more novelty matches these days, like they had with the midget 6-man tag match that night with Sunny as the guest referee. Max Mini is fucking awesome and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. But generally it would be nice just to have random matches featured that there's no mention of in the weeks leading up to the event. You know... just as a treat for the people who bought the ppv. That's was always nice to have in those days and I have no idea why WWE stopped doing silly things like that.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I don't remember much about the individual rumble matches themselves because honestly they're just so LONG and slow that I'm usually doing something else when I re-watch them. But my favorite Royal Rumble ppv was 1998 because it was just a really entertaining card and honestly there's some nostalgic factor in there too. I also liked 1992, 1997, and 2000 as well in no particular order. Those were all great events.

In pertains to the 1998 card though, there really needs to be more novelty matches these days, like they had with the midget 6-man tag match that night with Sunny as the guest referee. Max Mini is fucking awesome and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. But generally it would be nice just to have random matches featured that there's no mention of in the weeks leading up to the event. You know... just as a treat for the people who bought the ppv. That's was always nice to have in those days and I have no idea why WWE stopped doing silly things like that.

You are right novelty comedy matches do have a place on a wrestling ppv, and those mini matches were some of the better ones, my only gripe is that they should be on a b-ppv, not an event as important as the rumble.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2