Top 10 Wrestlers WWE Dropped the Ball on.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Killz

Reaction score
But you still have to watch his matches too. He got sloppier and sloppier the higher up he got. If he could stay consistent then he woulda been a little higher than where he wound up at before being released.

Really? He had classics with Jericho and Hunter way back in '05 and then had some of his greatest matches with HBK and 'Taker around '09? Granted those are against top guys but his match with 'Taker stands out in my mind as being an excellent wrestling match and that was when 'Taker had started losing a step or two. All those names represent the 'height' of WWE. If anything Shelton was sloppy as hell when he was performing on the undercard and can you blame him? I've rarely seen a guy perform like he did against Michaels in the Gold Rush tourny on Raw. I found the higher the profile of the match the more you could actually see some desire and the more he got to show off. He'd have benefited (from a singles perspective, I did love WGTT) from having a monster push early as the heel athlete like his Gold Standard gimmick was.

On the article, not too shabby. I definitely agree that ALL of those listed could have done a lot more with WWE but I think a couple, like Rhyno and Test, didn't help themselves. Regal's suspension shouldn't, in a just world, be given the time of day as a topic of discussion because that heel run to the top should have happened 2/3/4 years prior.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Far as Shelton goes he just wasn't going to be a main eventer as he didn't have the charisma for it. At best could have got a transitionally title run. He no doubt had the in ring skills down but he just didn't have that factor about him that made you look at him and say you got to make this guy a top guy. Don't think they dropped the ball on him as much as people say they have. Could have done more with him but he got used in the right spot according to his overall value.

TheZig

Reaction score
In WWE's eyes Shelton served his purpose, He lingered around the Mid-card for many years and picked up a few Intercontinetal championships and one reign as the United States champion. He had a couple of shots to elevate his own career but sadly couldn't capitalise on them. The same could be said for Carlito but he had charisma to back his skill, You could see it in his eyes at times he had no desire to play 'the company guy'.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Yeah Carlito in theory should have been a main eventer but his bitching and laziness stopped him. Also cause he didn't want to be a face which messed up his solid tag run he was having with Premo cause he wanted to be a face and same with the push he getting years ago when he first turned face but wanted to go back heel.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Really? He had classics with Jericho and Hunter way back in '05 and then had some of his greatest matches with HBK and 'Taker around '09? Granted those are against top guys but his match with 'Taker stands out in my mind as being an excellent wrestling match and that was when 'Taker had started losing a step or two. All those names represent the 'height' of WWE. If anything Shelton was sloppy as hell when he was performing on the undercard and can you blame him? I've rarely seen a guy perform like he did against Michaels in the Gold Rush tourny on Raw. I found the higher the profile of the match the more you could actually see some desire and the more he got to show off. He'd have benefited (from a singles perspective, I did love WGTT) from having a monster push early as the heel athlete like his Gold Standard gimmick was.

On the article, not too shabby. I definitely agree that ALL of those listed could have done a lot more with WWE but I think a couple, like Rhyno and Test, didn't help themselves. Regal's suspension shouldn't, in a just world, be given the time of day as a topic of discussion because that heel run to the top should have happened 2/3/4 years prior.

You missed my first post when I was talking about his matches against Trips, against HBK in the Gold Rush Tourney. Shelton's problem was that he could deliver but when the push started happening is when he started flopping. Shelton is a rare breed of talent no doubt. And I always looked forward to his matches but soon... he just stopped caring. And to blame it on wrestling the lower tier wrestlers... nooo you can't do that. You are being groomed to be a main eventer meaning you make those lower tier guys look good. You don't start shutting down cause all you want are the high profile matches. I mean look at HBK... he was at the top of the ladder and he is entering a match against Shelton. He didn't half step that. Look at Trips when Shelton crossed over from Smackdown to Raw. And this was kinda fresh after the team was broken up with Charlie. He was still wearing the strapped uniform. And Trips lost not once... but twice. Two weeks in a row. Trips didn't half step his matches cause they were against a guy much lower on the totem pole. they were still up there cause he wanted to make Shelton look good too.

Shelton screwed Shelton in that aspect.

Killz

Reaction score
You missed my first post when I was talking about his matches against Trips, against HBK in the Gold Rush Tourney. Shelton's problem was that he could deliver but when the push started happening is when he started flopping. Shelton is a rare breed of talent no doubt. And I always looked forward to his matches but soon... he just stopped caring. And to blame it on wrestling the lower tier wrestlers... nooo you can't do that. You are being groomed to be a main eventer meaning you make those lower tier guys look good. You don't start shutting down cause all you want are the high profile matches. I mean look at HBK... he was at the top of the ladder and he is entering a match against Shelton. He didn't half step that. Look at Trips when Shelton crossed over from Smackdown to Raw. And this was kinda fresh after the team was broken up with Charlie. He was still wearing the strapped uniform. And Trips lost not once... but twice. Two weeks in a row. Trips didn't half step his matches cause they were against a guy much lower on the totem pole. they were still up there cause he wanted to make Shelton look good too.

Shelton screwed Shelton in that aspect.

Totally agree, sorry I missed your first post.

I just always have sympathy for the guys who clearly love what they do and put their bodies on the line but tend to fall foul of stale main events and guys coming in for the monster push ahead of them you know? It's no excuse I suppose but I know for sure I'd get tired of putting myself out there year after year to never get that shot at the top and no-one knows for sure whether it was just what we 'saw' or what was reported that stopped Shelton, it could have been any number of things backstage etc. Guys like Shelton, guys like MVP in a way, should have had their time if it was based on wrestling/storytelling ability alone.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
I would definately have put Finlay in that list, so underrated, should have been a world champ imo

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I disagree with one member of it and that´s Matt Hardy. As Hired_Merc said, at singles he was boring.

There are more people that should be here like Piper, Vader, Blackman, Finlay and Bejamin but this is just Top 10, so it´s fine.

Last edited:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Only one I disagree with is Matt Hardy. WWE gave him plenty of opportunities and he held more titles than he probably deserved. And judging from how his life is now, it's probably best WWE didn't invest too much into him.