THQ goes broke, owes WWE $45 million

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Since its actually kinda relevant now, I'm gonna re-post my ideas for WWE games from the '13 thread.

I'm starting to think the games are pretty much as good as they're going to get in this current, ever-restricting sports game format they are going for. I'll probably enjoy this game, but I think the best thing for the developers to do is take a couple/few years off (just keep updating the latest game with up-do-date content in the meeanwhile) and try to think up a completely new concept for these games or try expanding upon the old, arcade style.

The way I would do this is to look at how the wrestling world (at least the WWE kayfabe world) would work in a videogame context, rather than the current approach of simply trying to replicate the experience of WWE through videogames. I see the current WWE games as some kind of alternate medium for watching a WWE match, not as wrestling videogames.

I was pondering over this idea I had for a WWE game a couple of nights ago. Here Comes the Pain and I think Shut Your Mouth are the games closest to my vision. Its an open world-ish game where you start working from the bottom-up, probably as a CAW. And I'm thinking of focusing the entire bloody game around this expansive campaign (side modes with exhibition matches, etc) with tons and tons and tons of scripted possibilities along the way. Get rid of these Universe Modes and Create a Storyline modes that nobody really wants. I'd go all out with hundreds of scripted possibilities for storylines, allies and enemies.

I seriously spent a lot of time devoting thought to this concept, and you can too. Imagine something along the lines of the WWE Universe version of Skyrim and if you're like me, you'll spend time mentally frothing over the possibilities. Side-quests and main quest lines, heel/face morality systems for mutliple storyline paths and endings, class building for different wrestling styles, the whole fucking deal. Even keep the same gameplay engine to minimise effort.

Or perhaps a more linear, but nonetheless expansive campaign like Grand Theft Auto's (free roam restricted to backstage/arena/parking to maintain kayfabe), where you start out doing missions for low level jobbers (WWE's Roman Bell-- Santino!!) then eventually working your way up the ranks in a totally pre-determined, but deep, story campaign. You start as an NXT jobber and overcoming the other rookies to prove yourself for the big leagues, then you tangle with the mid-carders like Dolph and Kofi whilst becoming a rising star, get framed by John Laurainitis or something and become heel, culminating in the third act where you discover the true meaning of Christmas, turn face and defeat the evil arch CM Punk at Wrestlemania.

Maybe I'm being dreamy again, but THIS is something I'd be glad to hand over my money to see manifest. Truly new ideas, and like I said, the most fun way to do this is to imagine how the current WWE Universe, in all its ridiculousness and its vulnerability to parody, would function in a videogame world. New ideas, dammit! I'll probably like WWE 13, but its only just hit me how these games have been pretty much exactly the same at the core when the SvR series first started and almost every tentative change around the outskirts have been unsuccessful. Isn't there at least one dude at THQ who's tired of making exactly the same game yet?

Weez

Reaction score
Sad to hear it finally happened. I was with THQ as a Community Leader/Forum Mod in 2010-11 with SVR2011 and WWE'12. Some of the changes we talked about just finally hit this year and I had very high hopes with them going forward. I worry about a new company coming in and starting fresh, Arcade is boring.

Btw, when you get the Moves DLC pack and have fun with God's Last Gift: Your Welcome lol.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
What does the NBA have to do with a wrestling game?
I said 2k interactive should get the rights over ea. they make the bs games and are none for their realistic simulations. That is much better than the cartoony shit ea became. I hint it would help both wwe and 2k if they published the next game

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I said 2k interactive should get the rights over ea. they make the bs games and are none for their realistic simulations. That is much better than the cartoony shit ea became. I hint it would help both wwe and 2k if they published the next game
When did EA become "cartoony"? Just because MADDEN is, all of their games are? I guesse you've never played FIFA or NHL or UFC or Tiger Woods or really anything else they produce. Bioware also publishes under the EA banner and there's nothing cartoony about their games at all. SWOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, pfffft please.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Live and Fight Night became fucking abominations

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Live most def that shit is a disaster but Fight Night? Not seeing your point at all it looks fine to me.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I think fight Night has regressed the past three installments both from looks and gameplay

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I don't feel like it has regressed but just hasn't done anything to it in fear it could regress badly like a NBA Live. Could be better but it shouldn't be classed with the Live series at all as that is just the biggest travesty in sports game history.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I used to get alive faithfully. They really fucked that up after 08 (arenas cover), really 06 (carter cover) looking back as I just bought it from habit alone

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
They just got lazy thinking no way 2K would overtake them as if they were as popular as the madden series that is pretty much the WWE of video games taking out all its competition and allow to coast. Whoever thought the Elite idea was good for revamped needs to be fired as that was just the final nail.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
You don't think 2k can simulate the wwe experience if given a shot?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Graphic wise it'll probably be a great match just hard to call gameplay wise given their lack of fighting games of any kind. Would be kind of cool if they did rosters updates similar to how they do on 2K just would obviously take more work.

AF.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing 2k, Rockstar or even Rocksteady taking on the WWE games in the future. I've always thought THQ's WWE games were awful and they always had potential to be much better.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
LOL @ Rockstar or Rocksteady making a WWE game, might as well of listed off Blizzard too.

First off, THQ has the chance to make its money back off the next few releases they had lined up, which includes the aforementioned Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine franchise(which for those of you who dont know, Games Workshop has just as stong a following as WWE, just in a different demographic). If the sales of these games are strong enough, THQ will continue on as if nothing ever happened.

Then, if they dont sell THQ owes WWE a shit-tonne of money, chances are they can make up that money by taking the offices, & employees of THQ and making a WWE game studio. So it is highly likely that THQ(in one way or another) will still be the minds behind the WWE games.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Well its not like anyone could make a worse WWE game than THQ, they've been making the same crap for years just changing the tinsel so people wouldn't notice. Here Comes The Pain was the last good WWE game by a huge margin.