The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

Pretty in Pink

pretty-in-pink.jpg

Andie Walsh comes from the wrong side of the tracks, but that doesn’t stop rich kid Blane McDonnagh from asking her to the prom. Now she has to choose between her feelings for Blane and those for her childhood friend, Ducky. Will she make the right decision and live happily ever after?

if-you-leave-pretty-in-pink-7.jpg

"Yes, people actually used to dress like this!"

Pretty in Pink, directed by Howard Deutch (The Great Outdoors, Some Kind of Wonderful) and written by John Hughes (um, you know who he is if you’ve been reading) is another vehicle for actress Molly Ringwald, Hughes “muse” in the 80’s. While not as good as The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles it nevertheless is another great piece of writing from Hughes and certainly holds up well when compared to his other work. Unfortunately one thing that is noticeably different is the pacing in this film, which can be attributed to the fact that Hughes himself was not directing. While I think Deutch did a serviceable job I also think the film could have been better if Hughes himself had been behind the camera. That being said there’s a lot of good and only a little bad here, so let’s take a look.

3580602544_ec96ed1892.jpg

"Better than the dancers on Solid Gold, that's for sure..."

The cast is all kinds of good here, with great performances from Ringwald (who plays this poor girl role well, better than the spoiled character of Claire in TBC), Andrew McCarthy (Mannequin), James Spader (in a classic douchebag role), Harry Dean Stanton (Alien), Annie Potts (Ghostbusters) and of course Jon Cryer (who really owns this film as Ducky). Add to that some wonderfully written dialogue courtesy of Mr. Hughes and we have ourselves one hell of a template for success. Andrew Dice Clay makes a funny little cameo appearance as a nightclub bouncer as well, just in case you were interested, which I know you were.

4p9526O82ohzvhsgSL91VdnDo1_400.jpg

"Look how I casually let my smoke hang from my lips. Yep, I'm a douche."

How about some classic scenes? Well yep, there’s certainly a few. Ducky doing his best Otis Redding impression in the record store is simply a must see, as is the computer flirtation between Blane and Andy (though Anthony Edwards did it better in Revenge of the Nerds but that’s for another review). The scene in the nightclub where Ducky kisses Iona is also hilarious and made for a genuine LOL moment from me. Iona herself has some funny bits too, including missing a suspected shoplifter’s eye by “half an inch” with a staple gun and the funny scene where she talks about her prom and ends up dancing with Andie. I would also like to make mention of Spader’s absolutely awesome douchebag character Steff, who I would seriously punch in the face on principle if I ever ran into him on the street. Spader doesn’t always get the recognition he deserves, but he will from Fuji, and will definitely be making other appearances in the 80’s movie reviews as they continue.

imagesCASAI6UJ.jpg

"Wow, there's a LOT of makeup going on here..."

The true heart of this film however lies in the storytelling and the simple way in which Hughes can toy with our emotions. We have been in these characters shoes before and we understand how they feel. From Ducky’s aimless bicycle riding to his attack on Steff regarding his comments towards Andie, most of us totally realize we’ve been in that position at one time or another and can easily identify with him. Andie’s conversation with her father (Stanton) about how her mother/his wife is never coming back is painful to listen to but an unfortunately harsh piece of reality. It is in toying with our emotions that Hughes once again proved his mastery of the written word. Indeed none were better than him at pulling us along on that wild emotional rollercoaster of teenage life. The final scene, featuring the classic 80’s song “If You Leave” by OMD (not their best, that would be Enola Gay but it sadly doesn’t make an appearance here) is a real feel good moment for all parties concerned and ends the movie off the right way, sometimes everybody ends up happy, yes, it is true.

gal_hughes10.jpg

"My childhood fantasies come true..."

Of course I have to quickly throw out the standard soundtrack info because, as was the case with Sixteen Candles, the songs in this film are nothing short of spectacular. We’ve got “Elegia”, a brilliant little instrumental from NewOrder (their track “Thieves Like Us” is also featured), the title track as performed by The Psychedelic Furs, “Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want” which is one of the greatest songs by the criminally underrated band The Smiths and “Do Wot You Do” by INXS. Of course there is also the above-mentioned OMD song as well as the Otis Redding classic “Try A Little Tenderness” which is the one featured in the Ducky dance scene. Oh and Echo & The Bunnymen make an appearance here with “Bring On The Dancing Horses” so that’s also pretty winning.

tumblr_lhkehuOcaI1qzeuejo1_500.jpg

"Poster boy for Whatever Happened To...?"

While I did not enjoy it as much as The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles, I felt that the film still brought a lot to the table, particularly in the writing department. It was clear to me that anything Hughes touched at this point turned to gold, and it is sad to know that he seemed to lose this “Midas Touch” over time. That doesn’t take anything away from this film however, which is a solid 7/10 and well worth the time spent watching it. So if you haven’t seen it, you know the drill, and I’m out.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Great review yet again. And I agree that it is not one of his best, but still damn good. A movie both guys and girls can get into and not directed at one or the other. The soundtracks that Hughes used were always great and flowed well with the movies. Like you, it is not my favorite of his, but definitely worth watching if you've never seen it. It is a timeless classic.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Thanks bud, appreciate the comments. Yeah, it's no BC or Sixteen Candles but it has its own inherent charm, which is something a lot of teen comedies these days are missing. I love Plains, Trains & Automobiles as well, so I should probably do that while I'm on the John Hughes lovefest.

Naitch

Reaction score

I'm loving the reviews and the fact that you too enjoy the works of Hughes, one of the few people at the time credible enough at creating realistic young characters that didn't just feel like slightly fleshed out stereotypes. Indeed, the great thing is that he'd often take an archetype and use it to show how much more complex we are than our labels.

Out of the three you've mentioned so far, my favourite would have to be TBC. Other than the sucker punch dénouement with Andy and Ally, it's pitch perfect. Bender is one of the great troubled young men of American cinema and steals the scene on countless occasions, and Hall plays his role with a subtle brilliance. 'You wouldn't know her, she lives in Canada!' Look forward to you doing TP&A as it's a great movie too, one of my favourites of his to be fair.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Thanks Naitch, glad to see you are enjoying them. Hughes was a true poet of American cinema and it's sad that not a lot of people fully understand his genius. Too often he is simply passed off as just another comedy filmmaker but he is so much more than that. I will try to do PT&A tonight as it is also one of my favourites and again a film with more meaning than initially meets the eye.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Revenge of the Nerds​

l_88000_35a15fbb.jpg

At Adams College, the lower class of “nerds” is constantly harassed by the elitist “jocks”. But when Gilbert Lowell and Lewis Skolnick arrive to start their term they unite all of these social outcasts and misfits and bring them something they never had before, unity and self respect. Now they have to win the Adams College games in order to maintain their fraternity status and stick it to the evil Alpha Beta’s. Can they do it?

0003h1fz.jpg

"Aww, nerds in love..."

1984’s Revenge of the Nerds, directed by Jeff Kanew (Tough Guys, the underrated Gotcha!) and written mainly by Jeff Buhai (best known as the Executive Producer on Johnny Be Goode) is a great tale of revenge, understanding and acceptance. It is also one of the funniest movies ever made and deserves to be seen by an even wider audience than already has. With some of the best joke writing, an impressive array of character actors and some truly memorable moments, this film stands far and above its eventual sequels (I don’t even want to talk about the 3rd and 4th ones) and its imitators. It also features some extremely racy moments that, while played for comedy, would nevertheless be outlawed from the films of today. Regardless, at the end of the day the movie is nothing short of constantly entertaining and 90 minutes of the most satisfying albeit pedantic comedy that you will ever see in your life.

revenge-nerds.jpg

"I don't remember nerds dressing THIS badly but then again I was young..."

The cast is all kinds of awesome here, and though the names may not be known by the masses, they nevertheless provide us with some knockout performances and some hilarious scenes. To start we have Robert Carradine (The Big Red One, Orca) and Anthony Edwards (died in Top Gun after his wife showed up with the kids, cliché anyone?) as the two main “nerds”. They do a great job anchoring the rest of the cast and playing off each of the other “nerds” individual personalities. Ted McGinley (Married with Children’s Jefferson, also seen lurking around The Love Boat) plays the leader of the Alpha Beta’s and the antagonist. McGinley is perfect in this role and really sinks his teeth into being an absolute douchebag. We also have John Goodman (Roseanne and crappy 7-Up commercials) as the coach of the football team, James Cromwell (brilliant character actor and star of Babe, Star Trek: First Contact and others), Brian Tochi (Police Academy) as an asian nerd, Larry B. Scott (Karate Kid, Iron Eagle) as a wonderfully flamboyant gay nerd, Michelle Meyrink (Real Genius, The Outsiders) as Edwards love interest, Donald Gibb (huge beast from Bloodsport) as The Ogre and Julia Montgomery (beautiful actress also seen in previously reviewed Girls Nite Out). All of these performers play their parts with bravado and all do an excellent job.

poindexter2.jpg

"And I'd like to know if you've got the notion, to rock the boat..."

However there are (as I often find) two remarkable, standout performances in this film that bear individual acclaim. First is Timothy Busfield (Field of Dreams, craptastically overrated 80’s show “thirtysomething”) in the role of Poindexter. From his completely outrageous haircut to his strange dance moves after getting high, Poindexter never fails to make me piss my pants laughing. In fact, the scene where he has an “accident” while watching some candid video of the girl’s dormitory is so funny I laugh even before it starts because I know it’s coming (what a pun). I would be remiss in not also mentioning the hilarious “fight” with the robot he has earlier in the film. The second performance is none other than Curtis Armstrong (Better off Dead) in the role of Dudley “Booger” Dawson. If you wonder how much I love this character let me just state that I own the “High on Stress” shirt that he wears and proudly sport it to family functions. Booger is one of those characters that really must have been a joy to play, as anyone who gets to hit the line “I thought I was looking at my mother’s old douchebag but that’s in Ohio” automatically wins the award for best part in the film. Booger is nothing short of the funniest character in this film, from his “wonder joints” to his domination of the belching contest, he is constantly making me laugh out loud. He has so many memorable lines including “We’ve got bush”, his entire hilarious exchange with Tochi while playing poker (what IS a frush anyways?) and of course this classic exchange. Gilbert “she’s not THAT kind of girl Booger”. Booger “Why, does she have a penis?” As if anyone else could have delivered that line with the grace of Armstrong.

booger_revenge_nerds2.jpg

"The man, the myth, the legend, Dudley "Booger" Dawson."

So as far as acting goes we are kicking some ass, and the movie provides these great talents with more than enough memorable scenes to shake the proverbial stick at. We’ve got the panty raid, the party with the Moo’s, the mooning, the “liquid heat” (where DO you buy that stuff anyways) in the jock straps, the entire “games” sequence, the hilarious song that the “nerds” perform as part of the talent show and so much more. To go through every funny scene would basically be like recapping the entire film and you know that’s not my style so I’m not even going to bother. You have to see it for yourself to understand how funny all of this is. Suffice to say I will mention the one scene I was alluding to above, where Lewis basically tricks Betty Childs (Montgomery) into having sex with him. Yep, that’s pretty much date rape without the use of GHB where I come from. The best part? She actually enjoys it and they end up together!! Talk about giving forth the wrong message to teenagers everywhere!! Yikes. This is one thing that would completely be missing from a remake (please God don’t let them do that) as the ratings board would never let that happen in a film today.

11106279_gal.jpg

"That's MY pie....where's Marcy?"

That little interesting scene aside, the film also touches on themes of alienation and acceptance and does a great job putting forth a little moral message that everyone belongs while making you laugh. Gilbert’s speech towards the end about being proud to be a nerd is very well written and performed by Edwards and really sums up the attitude that people should have towards life, as opposed to always trying to be better than others. Indeed we can see examples of the Alpha’s in everyday life, whether it is in our jobs or even on these message boards that we populate and it is important to remember that they should not be allowed to discriminate against you or insult you for having a difference of opinion or even looking a certain way. Perhaps many of us stand to learn a very important lesson about acceptance and maturity from this film, though I wonder if everyone in society is capable of gleaning this from a film quickly passed off as simple raunchy teen humour (which at the most times it admittedly is).

revenge-of-the-nerds-panty-raid-1009-lg.jpg

"Carradine wins performance of the film for this facial expression alone."

So, how does one rate Revenge of the Nerds? Well it’s got stellar acting from all parties, a great story with some wonderful dialogue, a panty raid, tons of nudity, date rape that leads to a relationship, hair pie, two sevens beating a frush, some nifty computer graphics and a whole lot more. At the end of the day I struggle with some of its campiness however and cannot go the full monty here. Rather I think it is a strong 7.5/10 and doubt I will get much argument in that regard. So if you have never seen Revenge of the Nerds, do yourself a favour and get to it, because it’s great and I know you’ll love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

One of my favorite movies when I was younger. Loved everything about it. Although watching it now, I see a lot of the flaws with it and realize it was better when I was younger but always worth a watch. Great review again Fuji. Someday I hope to do a review as well as you do lol.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Thanks Troy, I appreciate those comments. Yes, there are some flaws, but it is still an awesome movie nonetheless.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

untitled.jpg

After being grounded on his way home for Thanksgiving, Neal Page must deal with the overbearing Del Griffith, a shower curtain ring salesman who had latched onto him at the airport. Reluctantly accepting Del’s “helpâ€￾, the two head for Neal’s home and learn a lot about each other on the way as it takes every form of transportation to get there.

dels-underwear.jpg

"Aye Caramba!!!!"

John Hughes, truly one of the great American filmmakers, departed from his standard teen fare with this classic “odd coupleâ€￾ tale, which has an entire emotional depth all its own hidden within the confines of its brilliant comedy. As we have seen in Hughes other works, it is clear that he was a master at manipulating the emotions in his characters to maximum effect, and, while the Breakfast Club may be his best film, I believe this one to be the greatest example of his true talents. By allowing us the chance to grow to love these two vagabonds we learn not only important lessons about ourselves (in the sense of how to treat those who are different than us) but also about what the true meaning of friendship’s are. Indeed it is a striking film and the fact that it is passed off as a light hearted comedy is a testament to Hughes ability to subtly manipulate the senses of the viewer and trick them into learning things while still having a laugh.

john-candy.jpg

"I am back in baby's arms...."

First of all, this film would not have succeeded if the two leads had not been believable. Well you couldn’t have hired two better men for the job, as Steve Martin (Parenthood, Father of the Bride) and John Candy (Splash, Uncle Buck) are pitch perfect in their roles. Martin plays the smarmy advertising executive to perfection, clearly acting frustrated with the lout he has been stuck with. It is his attitude towards life in general that mimics many of us as we get older and become cynical. Indeed he becomes an avatar for the post-College professional, which is alarming yet nevertheless true. Candy’s Griffith on the other hand is the type of person we WISH we could be, carefree and able to “go with the flowâ€￾ as he puts it. While we see the world through Martin’s eyes and understand where he is coming from we still desperately want to be Candy, as he represents our yearning for freedom of both expression and from the shackles of cultural mores. Clearly, if we could, we would choose to live life like Del Griffith, but we can’t, so we won’t. That’s the basic mentality of the post-Grad individual, and it just gets worse as we reach our thirties and beyond.

826-14967.gif

"Owen. The King of my world."

Before I get into more heaviness I would like to pull a John Hughes and lighten the room up with some of the funnier elements to this film. The opening sequence featuring a “cab chaseâ€￾ through the streets of New York, opposite young Kevin Bacon (whose neck has recovered remarkably well from that arrow Mrs. Voorhees shoved through it) is great and a perfect introduction to both main characters. The “taxiâ€￾ that Del and Neal ride in to the Braidwood Inn is a real highlight and I would love to find that car because I would buy it in a heartbeat. Oh, let’s not forget Martin and Candy waking up in each other’s arms and discovering that “those aren’t pillowsâ€￾! The classic scene of Martin saying the “Fâ€￾ word about 26 times in less than a minute at the car rental booth is another shining moment, as is the whole Candy driving fiasco (“how would he know what side of the road we’re onâ€￾ is an absolute classic as far as I’m concerned). The “helping handâ€￾ given to Neal by the airport valet is another wonderful moment in a film full of them and it would most certainly be wrong of me not to mention the uproarious scene where they try to convince a police officer that their “vehicleâ€￾ is “road worthyâ€￾. Finally, I would like to point out the performance of one Dylan Baker (Spider-Man’s Dr. Curt Connors) as Owen. Owen is another one of those absolutely hilarious characters that you simply must see to believe, and his dialogue is nothing short of brilliant in every sense of the word.

8efb8350-5e55-4d8a-b467-1d113f6755f9.jpg

"You're messing with the WRONG guy!"

Indeed dialogue is at the heart of the matter here, as Hughes was clearly on point for this one, and I do believe it is his best screenplay, which is saying a lot considering his overall body of work. There are some superb exchanges between Martin and Candy, including the following, which always comes across as remarkably poignant to me and is one of my favourite scenes in any film. You see Neal has finally lost it after Del is trying to clear his sinuses in bed and just lets loose with unbridled rage at this man he has literally met only a few hours before…

“You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!â€￾

To which Del responds, in what I may add is, in my opinion, Candy’s greatest acting job ever…

“You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.â€￾

planes-trains-automobiles-john-candy.jpg

"You wanna' hurt me?"

It really doesn’t get much better than that and Candy is so disarming in delivering that dialogue that it comes across as honest and truthful. It really forces us as individuals to step back, look at ourselves and realize that we may be just like Neal in the way we treat others, and that perhaps we should stop and re-examine what that may make those others feel like. Of course Neal learns tolerance and acceptance in 97 minutes, while most of us never will, which at the end of the day is a harsh reality of life. I also don’t want to spoil the ending to this film however I will say that it is at once heartbreaking and uplifting and a perfect end to what I deem a near flawless movie.

vlcsnap-2398129.png

"Every time you go away, you take a piece of me with you..."

Rating this film is very difficult for me, as it is a favourite of mine along with another who is very dear to me and is going through some tough times at the moment. Having to remove myself emotionally from this review has been quite difficult yet rewarding at the same time, not unlike Neal’s journey with Del. From a purely critical standpoint I cannot give it a perfect score because it does have flaws, most noticeably a lacklustre supporting cast (outside of Owen) and a relatively non-descript soundtrack (though the end instrumental and musical number “Every Time You Go Awayâ€￾ are excellent). With all that being said I think I can still go 8.5/10 and can still give it my highest reommendation as it is truly a life altering experience and a film that everyone who has started their life in the “real worldâ€￾ should watch at least once.

Naitch

Reaction score

Bravo for an exceptional review, DLP. PT&A is one of my favourite films despite its flaws (I'm glad, for example, you brought up the maudlin soundtrack which really stands out for its mediocrity compared to most of Hughes' works) and I think you really show both the hilarity, the moral message and the immense human warmth this movie has to offer. Candy/Martin work together like clockwork and deliver comedy with a side of drame humain. I always watch this movie around the festive season because it embodies a lot that is great about humanity. It really touches my heart.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Bravo for an exceptional review, DLP. PT&A is one of my favourite films despite its flaws (I'm glad, for example, you brought up the maudlin soundtrack which really stands out for its mediocrity compared to most of Hughes' works) and I think you really show both the hilarity, the moral message and the immense human warmth this movie has to offer. Candy/Martin work together like clockwork and deliver comedy with a side of drame humain. I always watch this movie around the festive season because it embodies a lot that is great about humanity. It really touches my heart.

Thanks for those kind words Naitch, I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you enjoy the film so much. It really is a valuable piece for anyone to watch and if they could possibly glean just a little of the message Hughes was trying to get across then the world would be a much better place for it. I do feel the soundtrack was a tad on the maudlin side (though to be fair there wasn't a lot of moments to emphasize the usual 80's tunes that Hughes films are known for). At the end of the day it should be able to teack us a lot about ourselves, a testament to Hughes writing abilities. Candy was an immense talent that sadly left us much too soon, one can only hope Hughes and he are sharing a laugh somewhere out there right now.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

God I haven't watched that movie in forever. I think I need to go back and watch it. I forget how great that movie was.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

God I haven't watched that movie in forever. I think I need to go back and watch it. I forget how great that movie was.

You certainly should my friend, it has such a strong message hidden within the laughter.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Trading Places​

trading-places-original.jpg

Two wealthy investors hatch a bet to determine whether reversing the roles of a wealthy investor and a homeless derelict will prove their merits. Will the wealthy man find a way to become wealthy again? Will the derelict prove he is not worthy of riches? Or will they both succeed?

08_TradingPlaces_BD.jpg

"Mom always said you were greedy. She meant it as a compliment."

1983’s Trading Places is hilarious. Yes, you probably already know that, but I just thought I’d point it out again. This twisted tale of role-reversal and class vs. class has always brought a smile to my face, and I am sure it will bring one to yours. The plot, while simple, allows for some absolutely pitch perfect comedy and the performances by the leads, and indeed everyone else, are stunning. Considering it is still shown regularly on television some 28 years after its original release, I would not be wrong in saying that it has carved its place in the pantheon of truly great comedies. Indeed I believe that this film will stand the test of time.

07_TradingPlaces_BD.jpg

"THIS is what happens to black men on Wall Street!"

Directed by John Landis (American Werewolf in London) from a script by Timothy Harris (Twins, Kindergarten Cop) and Herschel Weingrod (Brewster’s Millions as well as the other two Harris scripts) it was designed as a vehicle for stars Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd. Well it certainly works in this department, as both are perfect in their roles. Murphy’s fast talking street hustler Billy Ray Valentine is an extension of some of his earlier comedic characters and is a treat to watch on screen. From his opening moments wheeling himself through the streets of New York to the classic line “is there a problem officer?†after being chased through the Duke & Duke firm, he is never anything less than a shining star of hilarity. Aykroyd on the other hand plays an even greater role, as he is forced to morph from a snobby, elitist stock broker type character into a homeless cretin. He does a very serviceable job here, gradually layering his new personality on top of his old one, with fantastic results. It is he who has a life experience in this film, and his acting gets that across very well.

15_TradingPlaces_BD.jpg

"Sorry guys, this is as far as I go, watch the movie for the money shot!"

Besides the two stars there are also some wonderful supporting performances that must be mentioned. First and foremost would be Jamie Lee Curtis, in one of her first non-horror roles. Coincidentally it also happens to be the first time she bared her breasts on camera, and might I add that they’re real, and they’re spectacular! I must admit it is a little surprising to see the supposedly virginal “final girl†from Prom Night, Terror Train and Halloween whip her top off but I am most definitely NOT complaining. Her character of Ophelia is a real treat to watch though and she brings some added humour to the film, particularly in her early scenes with Aykroyd. Paul Gleason (a Fuji favourite of course) shows up her as Clarence Beeks, a man fated to be wearing a gorilla suit before the end of the film. Yep, it happens. Frank Oz (Yoda’s puppeteer) has a hilarious cameo as a cop questioning Aykroyd about drug possession and his love of La Boheme (“it’s an operaâ€). We’ve also got the always classy Denholm Elliot as Aykroyd and then Murphy’s butler, Coleman and rounding out the cast are old time greats Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche as the Duke Brothers, the instigators of the whole damn mess. By the way, I don’t want to spoil what their “bet†consists of, because if you haven’t seen the movie it’s a great laugh to be sure.

trading_places_kobal-9369.jpg

"Would you happen to have a can of WD-40? My tires are squeaking."

There are tons of funny things happening in this movie and again it would be a disservice to you if I were to list them all, since you’d no longer need to run out and see it. That being said, from the beginning in the streets and at the office, to the train ride from hell and the final closing moments, this film is non stop laughs and funny at almost every moment. The train scene in particular has always made me roar with laughter and anyone who has seen it will know what I mean right away when I say “Boo-boo-yah, boo-boo-yah, boo-boo-yah, boo Hahâ€! Yeah, if you haven’t seen it you may think I’m crazy, but one step into the world of Lionel Joseph’s and his talk of the Haile Selassie Pavilion and you’ll be pissing your pants as much as I did the first time.

trading-places.jpg

"Badder than Bad Santa, it's Dirty Dan."

Another aspect of this film that I find fascinating is the entire subplot about the crop report and the futures market trading. As a futures trader myself I find any film that brings up my chosen career field to be interesting, and this one spends a decent amount of time explaining the fine art of what I and many others do on a daily basis. The stock market scene, complete with floor traders drinking their bottles of antacid, is brilliantly rendered and indeed what that world is like. I feel for those characters because I’ve been in their shoes before, and for those like me, laughs can always be gotten from the dastardly plot hatched by Murphy and Aykroyd as revenge against the Duke’s. I often question whether this film played even a small part in my career path, as I was fascinated by the idea of trading even from an early age…hmmm? Putting my subconscious aside, it really is a light hearted and fun comedy that doesn’t take itself seriously and is only meant to entertain. At the end of the day that’s all you can ask for and it gives it to you for 2 solid hours.

18_TradingPlaces_BD.jpg

"This looks like the start of a beautiful friendship...for Gleason anyways!!"

So how does it hold up? Remarkably well actually, and I get the same level of enjoyment out of it now that I did 10 years ago, and 20 years ago for that matter. As I said before, I believe this film will stand the test of time mainly because it comes from a very strong period in both stars careers. Aykroyd was on fire, having just finished Doctor Detroit and The Blues Brothers and was about to go “busting†in tomorrow’s film (so now you know), while Murphy was one of the brightest stars in Hollywood thanks to appearances on SNL and the film 48 Hours. He was also about to create one of his most memorable characters as Beverly Hills Cop (coming soon) was released the following year. This film served as a springboard for the two and solidified their place as comedic superstars. For that, for Jamie Lee’s beautiful boobs, for the Duke’s, for the Haile Selassie Pavilion and for everything else, I give it a solid 8.5/10. Now go watch it before I send Clarence Beeks in his gorilla suit to plant PCP on you (or is it angel dust?).

Reactions: 1 person

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Loved this movie. Eddie's best movie in my opinion. Trading Places has so much replay value, even for being almost 30 years old. And the first movie to expose Jamie Lee's tits. Great review sir. Gonna have to get this movie and watch it again now.