The Wellness Policy...is it needed?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

The Wellness Policy is responsible for ending mega pushes and ruining long term booking plans for the WWE. Hardy, Regal, and Kennedy were all getting main event pushes until they got suspended. I don't know if they got suspended for steroids or drugs but, honestly this wellness thing is starting to piss me off.

We've heard it before, "OMG this wrestler takes roids, look at what a roid head he is", hell I say that alot too. We make fun of some wrestlers sometimes for being big, and its pretty ovious that they take steroids. However, when a wrestler is getting smaller they get the same reaction. "OMG look that wrestler has gotten so small" or "its obvious he is losing weight". So basically, some fans make fun of wrestlers who are getting bigger AND getting smaller. I'm just pointing this out to show how people are hypocrits and bash wrestlers whether they get smaller or bigger.

Anyway, my point is...Steroids don't hurt anybody, and it isn't our business to know who is taking them. The wrestlers who are taking these things are probably getting them from doctors, and I'm sure they told them the risks of taking steroids. Wrestlers know what they are putting into their bodies, and they are willing to make that sacrifice. Wrestlers need steroids because they need to stay big and muscular all the time. Lets be honest people, Paul London or Brian Kendrick aren't going to ever get as over as The Great Khali. Its unfortunate, but its true.

And finally, drugs. Professional Wrestlers who work for the WWE are on the road basically all year. Who knows how hurt they get, and how much pain they go through. The fact is, these guys have no choice but to keep going when they are in pain. Drugs, well..it helps relax some of these guys. When people are hurting and are in pain, they are going to do anything they can to try and relax and make the pain go away even if its temporary. Drugs unfortunately, are the only way for these guys to do that and I think that is why so many wrestlers get suspended for drugs.

So..what do you guys think? Is the Wellness Policy needed? We all know that wrestlers will always take steroids and drugs. The lifestyle that these guys have give them basically no choice but to use steroids/drugs and I dont think it will ever stop. The Wellness thing is an attempt to try and alleviate steroid/drug use in the WWE and to be completely honest, I think it has failed. No matter how hard Vince tries, steroids and drugs will always exist in Pro Wrestling and unfortunately their is nothing that anybody can do about it

The King of Kings

Reaction score
You have to take drug tests at any other job you go to, the WWE is no different.

MikeRaw

The Wellness Policy is responsible for ending mega pushes and ruining long term booking plans for the WWE. Hardy, Regal, and Kennedy were all getting main event pushes until they got suspended. I don't know if they got suspended for steroids or drugs but, honestly this wellness thing is starting to piss me off.

We've heard it before, "OMG this wrestler takes roids, look at what a roid head he is", hell I say that alot too. We make fun of some wrestlers sometimes for being big, and its pretty ovious that they take steroids. However, when a wrestler is getting smaller they get the same reaction. "OMG look that wrestler has gotten so small" or "its obvious he is losing weight". So basically, some fans make fun of wrestlers who are getting bigger AND getting smaller. I'm just pointing this out to show how people are hypocrits and bash wrestlers whether they get smaller or bigger.

Anyway, my point is...Steroids don't hurt anybody, and it isn't our business to know who is taking them. The wrestlers who are taking these things are probably getting them from doctors, and I'm sure they told them the risks of taking steroids. Wrestlers know what they are putting into their bodies, and they are willing to make that sacrifice. Wrestlers need steroids because they need to stay big and muscular all the time. Lets be honest people, Paul London or Brian Kendrick aren't going to ever get as over as The Great Khali. Its unfortunate, but its true.

And finally, drugs. Professional Wrestlers who work for the WWE are on the road basically all year. Who knows how hurt they get, and how much pain they go through. The fact is, these guys have no choice but to keep going when they are in pain. Drugs, well..it helps relax some of these guys. When people are hurting and are in pain, they are going to do anything they can to try and relax and make the pain go away even if its temporary. Drugs unfortunately, are the only way for these guys to do that and I think that is why so many wrestlers get suspended for drugs.

So..what do you guys think? Is the Wellness Policy needed? We all know that wrestlers will always take steroids and drugs. The lifestyle that these guys have give them basically no choice but to use steroids/drugs and I dont think it will ever stop. The Wellness thing is an attempt to try and alleviate steroid/drug use in the WWE and to be completely honest, I think it has failed. No matter how hard Vince tries, steroids and drugs will always exist in Pro Wrestling and unfortunately their is nothing that anybody can do about it

I agree and disagree.
Firstly, in advance, Id like to address anyone who might say that Wguys liek Batista, Cena, Triple H and other big names are taking roid's but wWE is letting them go. IMO, thats not the case.. We can never know for sure, because we dont work for WWE, but I think they treat everyone the same, and anyone who takes roid's is suspended.
Look at it this way, if WWE was only going to suspend smaller names, and not the big ones (even if theyre caught doing roids) then they wouldnt have suspended Regal and kennedy, who were both in the middle of huge pushes!
So i think thats out of the way.

Now, as for if its needed...
Im gonna say no... the reason is this...
Firstly, they are only using it now because all the media and government/congress shitheads are all over them after the benoit thing. so theyre basically doing this for now so that they can keep their credibility...
But I honestly dont think its needed, because if you look around, the NHL doesnt have a roid testing policy, Im pretty sure TNA doesnt, adn for years and years, WWE didnt.
If wrestlers are going to take steroids, they will. A wellness policy wont stop it as we've seen with the suspensions this year of DH Smith, Jeff Hardy, Regal, Kennedy, etc. So a wellness policy wont stop them. And seeing that it wont stop them, all its really doing is putting a hold on every feud. Theres no way wwe can stop them from taking steroids unless they fired them, and they obviously arent going to fire big stars, and suspensions dont stop them, so again, all the wellness policy is doing is stopping feeuds in its tracks...
I say get rid of that shit:)

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
good topic, it's really something that needs to be discussed with all that's going on now, and it almost being a year after the Chris Benoit thing.

Steroids are being investigated by the government, and if every other major sport has steroid and drug testing, wrestling does too. I find it ridiculous how you say doctors give them steroids. Most of the stuff they take is illegal, so it's either smuggled in and the doctor would be pretty corrupt. Wrestlers don't need steroids to stay big and muscular, that's just being lazy. They want the easy way in, and they probably are too lazy or lack the dedication to work out and do things the clean way. Wrestlers know what they're putting into their bodies, and they're probably just thinking dollar signs when they stick that needle up their ass. They know that heart failure, anger, depression, more injuries and shrunken penis is up on their slate, but if it's for the money, I guess those guys would do it.

I know that wrestlers go through hell in the ring, and drugs are very helpful like you said. I don't blame anyone for taking painkillers, it's just human nature to dull the pain. But it's a sacrifice that has to be made. But the thing with painkillers are that a prescription can become an addiction, and that never is a good thing. Just look at the former ECW wrestlers that have passed away, most of them died due to causes of addictions, even when they don't wrestle as much or are even retired. And the scary thing is that most died under the age of 50.

I still think the wellness policy is needed. Sure, steroids will never go away, but testing people is only a good thing in so many ways. Wrestling won't have that black cloud hanging over them as much now in the media with the drug testing. We'll see less tragedies happen to wrestlers. It cleans up wrestling, and it'll stop at least some people from using. Obviously steroid use has gone down since the policy was instituted, and you can tell. Before the policy, I'd say about 60% of the guys were using something in WWE. But now, I'd say about 20% use steroids. Steroids won't go away, but the wellness policy puts a "band aid" on the problem.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Anyway, my point is...Steroids don't hurt anybody, and it isn't our business to know who is taking them. The wrestlers who are taking these things are probably getting them from doctors, and I'm sure they told them the risks of taking steroids. Wrestlers know what they are putting into their bodies, and they are willing to make that sacrifice.

The first part of this is mostly true. The only person they hurt is yourself, and if you choose to do them, that is your business as far as I am concerned. The doctor thing is irrelevant, as there are corrupt doctors out there who do supply drugs.

Wrestlers need steroids because they need to stay big and muscular all the time.

This is false.

Lets be honest people, Paul London or Brian Kendrick aren't going to ever get as over as The Great Khali. Its unfortunate, but its true.

Very bad comparison here. Khali didn't take steroids to get to be over seven feet tall.

I think they should be able to use whatever drugs they wish so long as it does not interfere with their performance.

The lifestyle that these guys have give them basically no choice but to use steroids/drugs and I dont think it will ever stop.

The notion that they have no choice but to do drugs and take steroids is ridiculous. Of course they have the choice.

You have to take drug tests at any other job you go to, the WWE is no different.

I have never been drug tested at any of my jobs. That's just a bullshit statement.

Steroids are being investigated by the government, and if every other major sport has steroid and drug testing, wrestling does too.

Wrestling isn't a sport in the same vein as the other sports you mentioned though. It can also be easily equated to a television show that happens to use stuntmen as their leads. Nobody gets drug tested in Hollywood. So while I see what you're saying, its a really iffy comparison.

Wrestlers know what they're putting into their bodies, and they're probably just thinking dollar signs when they stick that needle up their ass. They know that heart failure, anger, depression, more injuries and shrunken penis is up on their slate, but if it's for the money, I guess those guys would do it.

So why begrudge them that? Why try and stop them if they know what they're doing?

But the thing with painkillers are that a prescription can become an addiction, and that never is a good thing. Just look at the former ECW wrestlers that have passed away, most of them died due to causes of addictions, even when they don't wrestle as much or are even retired. And the scary thing is that most died under the age of 50.

This is due to abuse obviously. But in they end, they chose to abuse. You can't blame the pill, you can only blame the person.

Steroids won't go away, but the wellness policy puts a "band aid" on the problem.

Band-aids are also known as dressing. That is precisely what this is. Its a "Hey look at this! Look, we're doing something! Actually its not accomplishing anything but you don't need to know that... No, no I swear, nobody here is on drugs anymore. We catch 'em all!"

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
Anyway, my point is...Steroids don't hurt anybody

Really? I guess the DEA doesn't know what their talking about.

Steroid abuse has been associated with cardiovascular diseases (CVD), including heart attacks and strokes, even in athletes younger than 30. Steroids contribute to the development of CVD, partly by changing the levels of lipoproteins that carry cholesterol in the blood. Steroids, particularly the oral types, increase the level of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and decrease the level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL). High LDL and low HDL levels increase the risk of atherosclerosis, a condition in which fatty substances are deposited inside arteries and disrupt blood flow. If blood is prevented from reaching the heart, the result can be a heart attack. If blood is prevented from reaching the brain, the result can be a stroke.

Steroids also increase the risk that blood clots will form in blood vessels, potentially disrupting blood flow and damaging the heart muscle so that it does not pump blood effectively.
Source: http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/concern/steroids.html

Yup, thats just a load of crap.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I would like you all to keep in mind the first two words of that article. Steroid abuse, not use. World of difference between those two words, however very few people choose t make that distinction.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
What is considered steroid abuse? I thought that steriod abuse was taking them without a doctors orders.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Example.

I go out after work on the weekends and lets say I do a little coke. That is use.

I do coke every day, I let it interfere with my job, and other people's lives. That's abuse.

Now steroids is a bit different.

All of the side effects are related to the dosage. If wrestlers would stop being so fucking stupid and loading up on the shit in huge doses then there would be no problems. Honestly a course on safe steroid and drug usage would go a lot farther when it comes to saving lives then just trying to outright ban them.

noumenon

The short answer....yes. Especially the way things are today the WWE and all organization in general really need to cover their asses on matters like these. I don't believe they're letting people slide on violations and if they are they're pretty fuckin dumb. Some people just naturally have more potential for those kind of physiques...others need....well.....assistance.

Famou$ 187

If they it with other sports then why not have it in the WWE aswell? I think he copy & pasted the first post he did, If you ask me.

Haze187

Reaction score
Ok well either you have the policy or have the goverment regulate wrestling. Let me tell you guys something, it is very rare and I mean rare for a guy who is 6+ feet tall 300 pounds to maintain that many muscles, you need to stay on the gym 24/7, you are on the road 24/7, you would bearly have time to take a shit. It makes no sense to me, I tried bodybuilding before and by standards it takes months even years to gain 10 pounds of muscle so how come Triple H came back at SS with at least 30 pounds less of muscle but on Monday Night he has like 40 pounds more? Impossible. Vince McMahon looking like a bodybuilder? Impossible without steroids, how can a 60+ year old man go from skinny, ragidy old to bodybuilder in a few days? Impossible. Its certain some guys use steroids but what can you do? In Baseball when Barry Bonds hit the 75 or 76 homeruns the MLB knew he was on steroids because he had failed tests before but it was drawing so much money that they let him, same thing with WWE, if HHH is making me money why would I suspend him? That's the reality of this, until the testing is done by an outside party it will never be fair. Plus how can anyone take this policy seriously if X guy fails and gets fired but X guy fails and gets to hold the title for a year. It makes no sense.
Now you say it has depushed many stars, now who's decision was to take steroids? Its not the policy's fault, its their fault. I do see a huge biase in the policy but until your banging the boss' daughter you should stay away from steroids.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Here is the bottom line, these guys are independent contractors. They are employed by the WWE, yes, but it is NOT the WWE's job to take care of these guys unless (imo) they feel they are making the company they are contracted for, look bad. I don't see why else they would outside of just being altruistic.

MikeRaw

Here is the bottom line, these guys are independent contractors. They are employed by the WWE, yes, but it is NOT the WWE's job to take care of these guys unless (imo) they feel they are making the company they are contracted for, look bad. I don't see why else they would outside of just being altruistic.

They ARE making the company look bad.
As I said in my original post, the only reason WWE is doing this right now is because of the congress and the media...
Im not saying I want the wellness policy, cause as I said n my first post, I dont think its needed, but the hard truth is, they are making the company look bad by contuniuing to take this shit even after its broke into the media a year ago.

The Anigma

Reaction score
When it comes to the WWE Wellness Policy you have to look at it from the company’s perspective. Their superstars’ health and the company’s reputation are more important then ruined mega pushes and long-term booking. The WWE, imo, doesn’t want to risk having a superstar getting addicted to steroids and in turn end up abusing them so they find out who has them and they suspend them for the time being. Saying that steroids don’t hurt anybody is dim-witted because there are plenty of risks involved in taking steroids. Some long-lasting and serious risks of taking steroids include dizziness, mood swings, hallucinations, paranoia, nausea, problems sleeping, aching joints and high blood pressure that can damage the heart or blood vessels over time, not to mention liver damage and a greater chance of injuring muscles and tendons. So to say that steroids don’t hurt anybody is ridiculous.

I agree that it isn’t any of our business who takes steroids and I feel that WWE should keep that confidential but I would imagine that’s some kind of punishment or something. And I’m sure the wrestlers that are taking them are aware of the risks involved but it doesn’t mean that they will listen to what the doctor tells them. They may understand what they’re putting in their bodies but I think in their mind they’re thinking, “I need steroids to get/stay big and muscular” which is bullshit. If anything, steroids will cause more harm then assist in the long-term as proven from the risks mentioned in the above paragraph. When it comes to wrestlers using drugs to make the pain go away, I’m not an advocate of it nor am I a supporter of it but I think if they are taking any drugs they should make sure they understand the risks involved and the drugs shouldn’t affect their performance on the job.
The lifestyle the superstars have is no excuse for them to take steroids/drugs. They have a choice in the matter. And it is a fact that no matter how hard the WWE tries, there will be drugs/steroids in professional wrestling but that doesn’t mean that they cannot try to prevent them from being used and/or abused.

To put it briefly, the WWE Wellness Policy is needed because it’s more important to have a positive reputation for your company and help maintain your employees’ health then worry about delayed pushes and long-term storylines being cut short in the long run. As far as nothing being able to be done about steroids/drugs in professional wrestling, at least the WWE is making the attempt to do something about it even if it hasn’t worked out as great as it could.