The Thread of God aka CM Punk

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I didn't like that they changed his music for this. I couldn't help but LMAO at when he pulled a Trips and started posing during his rampwalk like he was getting this huge reaction, while there was virtual silence. And why the hell was Jimmy Carter in Punk's titantron? >_>

Anyway, they blew it with this. All that buildup just to have him (likely) re-signed within a week? The ratings were already down during his push, Godforbid they let the fans build up some interest for his return. The segment was pretty lame anyway. Just three minutes of nothing basically. I don't have very high hopes for this storyline if that was it, and I guess Cena wins at SS.

The only intriguing part for me is what Rey's role in all this is gonna be.

Kinda like how it was a 'given' he was gonna win at MITB right?

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Kinda like how it was a 'given' he was gonna win at MITB right?

Nah, it wasn't as much of a lock then since the storyline if Punk re-signed called for Punk to win. Peeps who thought Cena would win clean (like myself) were just banking on WWE's incompetence. They went with an ass swerve and Punk got a cheap win. If they wrestle at SS, Cena winning would actually be good storytelling, and the only way that doesn't happen is if they go to back-to-back tainted finishes, which I don't forsee. or Rey could take the fall for Punk in a 3-Way (My prediction) and they build it up for another month or two, in which Cena triumphs at HIAC or something.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I am with you on Rey being factored in, it would make the most sense, and seeing the other options for Rey's Summer Slam opponent there aren't many options, except for the Miz, which I would like to see, they worked a hell of a match on Raw, but Rey losing the title the same night he won it and not even asking for his rematch would be completely moronic. I see Punk/Cena/Rey at Summer Slam, with maybe one or the other pinning Rey to further build the "who's the real champion?" angle, a non-finish at NOC (ie DQ, or dirty Punk win) that I would like to see end at either HIAC or whatever the PPV after it is.

The one thing about the angle that I am liking more than anything else is that for the first time in years I'm actually interested in RAW week in, week out. Even more so than the Nexus last year.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I didn't like that they changed his music for this. I couldn't help but LMAO at when he pulled a Trips and started posing during his rampwalk like he was getting this huge reaction, while there was virtual silence. And why the hell was Jimmy Carter in Punk's titantron? >_>
Are you serious? Virtual silence? The crowd drowned out the music... and someone isn't familiar with the Cult of Personality music video, are they?

Anyway, they blew it with this. All that buildup just to have him (likely) re-signed within a week? The ratings were already down during his push, Godforbid they let the fans build up some interest for his return. The segment was pretty lame anyway. Just three minutes of nothing basically. I don't have very high hopes for this storyline if that was it, and I guess Cena wins at SS.
Ratings down during his push? Which push? This last month, the ratings have been through the roof compared to the past 5 years. Three minutes of nothing? He returns to have a faceoff with his belt vs. the guy he won it from who just won the transitional title setting up a title vs. title match.

Nah, it wasn't as much of a lock then since the storyline if Punk re-signed called for Punk to win. Peeps who thought Cena would win clean (like myself) were just banking on WWE's incompetence.
Bro, you're full of shit. EVERYONE thought Cena was going to win. The writers weren't even told what the finish for that match was going to be, so don't give me that bullshit. And the storyline was NOT that Punk was going to resign. In kayfabe, he told everyone he was taking the title and they could kiss his ass goodbye.

They went with an ass swerve and Punk got a cheap win. If they wrestle at SS, Cena winning would actually be good storytelling, and the only way that doesn't happen is if they go to back-to-back tainted finishes, which I don't forsee. or Rey could take the fall for Punk in a 3-Way (My prediction) and they build it up for another month or two, in which Cena triumphs at HIAC or something.
Cheap win? How was it cheap? He was distracted himself when Vince and Johnny Ace came out, and locked in the STF and they were going to screw him... Cena decked Johnny, and Cena got hit just as quickly as he hit Punk after Punk was distracted. Turnabout is fair play... nothing cheap about that. And why would Cena winning at SS be good storytelling, but Punk winning not be? You're so blindly against Punk right now that you're not giving any storyline where he comes out on top a chance, especially suggesting he can't cleanly go over Cena. Again, the finish at MITB wasn't tainted, and you're suggesting this next one will be tainted.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
The one thing about the angle that I am liking more than anything else is that for the first time in years I'm actually interested in RAW week in, week out. Even more so than the Nexus last year.

This shit makes Nexus look like the worst TNA undercard feud.

Axis

Reaction score
Ratings down during his push? Which push? This last month, the ratings have been through the roof compared to the past 5 years.

Woah, proof? I have only read the opposite.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Woah, proof? I have only read the opposite.

The hourly ratings have been down, but the segment breakdowns have shown huge jumps anytime Punk or anything relating to the Punk segments have been going on (i.e. the McMahon/Cena faceoff the week after Punk's promo... the Punk return/contract negotiation... the explanation last week).

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Just a question.... What the fuck do rating have to do with how enjoyable a feud is or isn't? I understand how ratings on the buisness side of things, but as a fan, nothing more, nothing less. So really to me ratings meam shit to me. I could give a fuck with the ratings are, Raw over the past month has been the best it has been in years.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Ratings (Via various Google sites):

July 4th: 2.4
July 11th: 2.9
July 18th: 3.2
July 25th: 3.2

So nearly all time lows for ratings up until after MITB in which the rating is still average is a "HOT" storyline? Totally laughable on all levels. Give me fuckin' break on him single handidly bringing segments up. This didn't connect with the mass of fans period. For many reasons, not all Punk's fault. But that doesn't mean Punk's done this amazing job in which a new age of wrestling has come because of him, which was all the ratings were for, because I knew Flywalker would go apeshit the second I didn't suck his favorite's dick.

And I didn't even say anything positive or negative towards Punk going over in the feud, I just predicted Cena winning in the end because he's their top guy and it always ends up like that, regardless of what I think about Punk. People just need to take a chill pill on this guy/angle is all. Especially Flywalker, who has to gall to call anybody full of shit on here. SMH

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
because I knew Flywalker would go apeshit the second I didn't suck his favorite's dick.
Yeah, because you and I, or me and anyone else you've witnessed, have had apeshit discussions when my "favorite" wrestlers weren't slurped dry. I can't recall every having crossed paths with you in the first place where you could even suggest you know me at all really... other than a few various discussion in the Shoutbox, where we typically agreed on certain subjects.

And I didn't even say anything positive or negative towards Punk going over in the feud, I just predicted Cena winning in the end because he's their top guy and it always ends up like that, regardless of what I think about Punk. People just need to take a chill pill on this guy/angle is all. Especially Flywalker, who has to gall to call anybody full of shit on here. SMH
The gall to call anybody full of shit on here? I'm pretty non-confrontational here, except when I was going back and forth with Kaedon about the Miz, which was fairly respectable, and while longwinded, insults weren't slung at all. The only people I've really insulted here were fuzzy, or ahorrig... mainly just for their typos. So now that I've established you can't be referring to me being confrontational with everyone, I'm going to assume that when you said "anybody" that you've got a superiority compex here and think you're the top dog...

...you said Punk's win was tainted... it wasn't a clean win... that implies Cena was cheated... when in fact, it was almost the complete opposite of that. Nobody interfered on behalf of Punk to help him defeat Cena... they tried to hand Cena the win and rob Punk of the match. Oh, but wait, no kayfabe here... that's right! Kayfabe can't possibly mean shit to storylines an match finishes, etc. It was written for Cena to lose, therefore the deck WAS stacked against Cena and thus, Punk's victory was tainted!

Once again, full of shit. I never said you, in all your glory on every subject, topic, discussion, idea... were full of shit. Just simply that your stance on calling Punk's win tainted... is full of shit. If that wasn't clear in the first post, then I apologize for misleading your inflated mind.

Oh, and one final thing... Punk's not my favorite. One of... but he's not my favorite. Just to clarify that for you...

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
People are throwing this storyline down the shitter before it even climaxes. Just shut the fuck up, sit back and watch it unfold. It's times like this when the IWC really pisses me off because they are so quick to bring the technical shit in like ratings and shit. Who cares about ratings? Whats wrong with immersing yourself in whats going on? The dynamic of WWE TV is obviously gonna change regardless with VKM "out" and HHH "in". I can't remember the last time a storyline got so much buzz with people who aren't even necessarily wrestling fans.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Meh, i'm just gonna let what Flywalker's on about go, 'cause anybody who knows me throughout my time here knows my ego's not overloading my ass so whatever, man. You've defended Punk more than anybody i've seen here, and you've talked shit involving Orton and the like too, which is what I was going off of, but like I said, no big deal in the end, and everything's cool in my book.

I'll say that that MITB win wasn't clean though, in kayfabe or anywhere else. Interference led to the finish, no matter who's side the interference was on, it happened how it happened and that's just the end of it in my eyes. :/

I just made an off the cuff comment about the ratings being down and this angle not connecting with the WWE's mass audience, and he responded. For better or worse the numbers are there so that's over with. Now that that's out of the way, people can get back to what this thread is really about... showing love to Punk and his storylines, or if you're me, saying it all ain't that great.

...god...

Reaction score
sorta like the new theme, split on it. Shoulda kept the scream and the intro from the start then transitioned into this song (still could do it), woulda worked pefectly. Also it reminded me more of when Austin used it for his Hall of Fame induction which was fucking bad ass. I always affiliate the song with that ever since.

also, so much for Punk never lying.

Axis

Reaction score
The hourly ratings have been down, but the segment breakdowns have shown huge jumps anytime Punk or anything relating to the Punk segments have been going on (i.e. the McMahon/Cena faceoff the week after Punk's promo... the Punk return/contract negotiation... the explanation last week).

Ahh, okay yes that makes sense.

Axis

Reaction score
As for the "cleanness" of the Cena/Punk finish... I'd agree it wasn't technically clean, but that alone doesn't mean anything. The reason an unclean finish is potentially bad is because it makes the winner look weak in victory. Given that, I'd say that CM Punk looked incredibly strong through the entire match, and even in the finishing run. Many people, myself included, complain that all of Cena's matches are him beating beaten down the entire time, and then coming back easily to win. But the benefit of doing things the same every time is that when you do switch it up, it stands out. CM Punk having a back-and-forth match with Cena and consistently shutting down and even surviving his finishes made him look amazing against The Ace.