The Streak 2012

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Which Streak match should take place at WrestleMania 28?

• Foley vs. Undertaker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Triple H vs. Undertaker 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nation

Reaction score
Ahead of his time with the high-flying shit? The only man who can really claim anything close to that is Superfly, and even he wasn't the first or only guy doing high-flying shit. Pillman came in at a time when high-flying was becoming the staple of the sport outside of Vince's Incredible Hulk physique freaks. And no, in WWE, he didn't do more than the Pillman gun shit. He was a part of things, but he didn't do anything. In the Hart Foundation, he was simply a prop, just a bystander. His feud with Goldust? Really? This is the first I've heard it brought up since it happened... don't overstate what it was. And how can you can damn-near guarantee he would have done some great shit with his gimmick... you can assume... you should specify that you're assuming... but outside of the gun segment, he didn't do anything that would lead someone to believe he could do great things...

Superfly is not the only one who can claim that and though Pillman and Snuka were both high flyers they worked differently. Pillman was working like all the crusierweights that came after him before that style of wrestling took off. You really obviously don't know your shit about Pillman, I'd really suggest you do some research and checkout the Pillman DVD. His run in the WWE was cut short and even as a "bystander" Pillman kept his gimmick going but he was still recovering from injuries and surgeries so that didn't help either and was why he was in the position he was. I can damn near guarantee he would have done some great shit because he had all the talent and I know my shit about Pillman. Would he become one of the greatest ever? No never said he would but had he not passed and recovered from injuries as much as he good, he would have done some great things. He will always be remembered for being ahead of his time as one of the first crusierweights, remembered for one of the best segments and remembered for his unique and controversial character.

Pillman was relevant in ECW? Is that what you're arguing? Pillman went to ECW, Heyman told him to talk a little more shit than what he did, he tried, it didn't take him anywhere special, and Austin told Vince to bring him to the E and let him work with him on a segment to help advance the more-and-more stale angle between he & the Hart Foundation.

When the FUCK did I say he was relevant in ECW? I said "Even in his very brief time in ECW he kept his character going and people talking, few guys who ever went to ECW from WWE/WCW did fuck all, at least he was noticed." Most WWF/WCW talent that made appearances in ECW did nothing at all and aren't even remembered or known.

Seriously, stop making up shit in an argument. It's annoying. Fact is, Pillman is underrated.

nation

Reaction score
Def jumping of the Pillman was overrated bandwagon. He spent most of his career in WCW wearing one of the most fabulous perms of all time with those awful Cincinatti Bengals tights.

He had some great matches with Liger and while I'm not familiar with Liger's work outside of his few NA appearances from what I understand it would have been difficult for him to not have a good match with Liger.

After that though, he did only a few things and while they seemed major at the time, hindsight, I think, shows us that he may have had potential to blow up at one time or another the Loose Cannon gimmick was really just a cover for a guy whose career was effectively done.

So apparently you missed The Hollywood Blondes too? Pillman had great work taging with Austin and clearly took everything he could from him. But about the Loose Cannon gimmick being a cover, yeah that can't be argued but it's because his in ring ability was limited after his accident. It sure as hell was a great cover though and not only kept his career alive but he made it bigger than ever before.

Really, just a fucking shame he passed and had his accident. He could have done more, I don't know how much after the accident but without it, who knows.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Superfly is not the only one who can claim that and though Pillman and Snuka were both high flyers they worked differently. Pillman was working like all the crusierweights that came after him before that style of wrestling took off. You really obviously don't know your shit about Pillman, I'd really suggest you do some research and checkout the Pillman DVD. His run in the WWE was cut short and even as a "bystander" Pillman kept his gimmick going but he was still recovering from injuries and surgeries so that didn't help either and was why he was in the position he was. I can damn near guarantee he would have done some great shit because he had all the talent and I know my shit about Pillman. Would he become one of the greatest ever? No never said he would but had he not passed and recovered from injuries as much as he good, he would have done some great things. He will always be remembered for being ahead of his time as one of the first crusierweights, remembered for one of the best segments and remembered for his unique and controversial character.
Like I said, Superfly wasn't the first or only guy doing that shit. And I said, Pillman came in during a time when high-flying was BECOMING a staple... not when it already was... I'm aware of the timeline of he and the cruiserweight division. However, he didn't contribute to it, nor did he do anything to set himself apart from much of anything other than gaining a little cult following who liked to think of him as some sort of innovator when he really wasn't. And you're talking to me like I wasn't a Flyin' Brian fan... my first action figure was the Flyin' Brian wax figure... his was the only one with defined fingers which were spread out, when all the others were tight-fisted... so I always thought his shit was the coolest. I was a Brian Pillman fan... but I'll never say the guy was great or outstanding at anything he did, he was just good at his time... and unfortunately, accidents happen... but the cold, harsh reality is that accidents did happen, and he never got to show us if he could be great... but he never did show us anything that would suggest he could be. Not saying he couldn't... but there's no evidence to argue so based off of anything he did give us.

When the FUCK did I say he was relevant in ECW? I said "Even in his very brief time in ECW he kept his character going and people talking, few guys who ever went to ECW from WWE/WCW did fuck all, at least he was noticed." Most WWF/WCW talent that made appearances in ECW did nothing at all and aren't even remembered or known.
Do you know what relevancy means? Let me help you:

Definition of RELEVANCE

• a : relation to the matter at hand
    b : practical and especially social applicability : pertinence <giving relevance to college courses>
  • : the ability (as of an information retrieval system) to retrieve material that satisfies the needs of the user

"kept his character going and people talk" = being relevant. "at least he was noticed." = being relevant. "Most talent that made appearances in ECW did nothing at all and aren't even remembered or known." = not being relevant. That's BY DEFINITION! You defined relevancy ALL throughout your entire point there.

Pillman was NOT relevant in ECW. He did what Heyman told him to do, and it didn't work for him other than having some people (the equivalent of the IWC pretty much) talk about him enough to where Vince accepted Austin's proposal to bring Pillman in and capitalize on whatever buzz he had.

Seriously, stop making up shit in an argument. It's annoying. Fact is, Pillman is underrated.
What did I make up in the argument? And no, he's not underrated. He's rated just right. He was a semi-sensational tag wrestler, who did some high-flying shit, and then ran his mouth a little, and then was part of a huge moment in WWE history and nothing else. That's all he was, and that's all he'll ever be (unfortunately). You can't rate him anything above that. In many senses, by what he did throughout his entire career, you're overrating him.

Reaction score
Nation, stop. Just stop. Pillman was NEVER ahead of his time as a light heavyweight or high flyer. Dude could throw a drop kick, high crossbody and a sunset flip. Basically the entire NWA roster was throwing those moves ten years before Pillman ever entered wrestling. I don't have anything against Pillman,I bought his DVD the day it came out. I have a problem with you over rating people by trying to argue that they are under rated. No they aren't and you're arguments are terribly flawed. It's your opinion backed with so little fact that I almost think you are trolling me. Pillman was NOT a good wrestler and for someone that continually beats the "Stop putting words in my mouth" bullshit argument to death, when did I say Austin carried Pillman? Oh yeah, never. I said he was the engine and he was. He was the superior talent, not even debatable. There was a reason Flair wanted to groom Austin to be champ before Hogan came in and fucked everything up.

Name three great non Liger matches Pillman had. Can't be done because there aren't any. The coolest thing Pillman ever did was tell Jim Herd, after Herd told him to take a paycut or be a jobber, that he would be the highest paid curtain jerker of all time and his Flair impersonation. Outside that, he isn't as revolutionary as you want to make yourself believe him to be. I can name a character from the same time period that was far more edgy and truly groundbreaking; Goldust. Just like Rude, you are over rating the fuck out of the guy.

Reaction score
Even in his very brief time in ECW he kept his character going and people talking, few guys who ever went to ECW from WWE/WCW did fuck all, at least he was noticed.

Benoit went from WCW to ECW and was one of their top guys.

Stieners went there and were at the top of the card for the few shows they were there.

Justin Credible went there and became champ

Shane Douglas went there and due to Heyman's genius became their most successful name in kayfabe terms

Raven came after a terrible run in the fed as Johnny Polo and was champ for the better part of two years

Snuka, Tito Santanna and Don Muraco were their three top draws in the company's formative days

Want to reevaluate that statement?

Airfixx

Reaction score
You're blindly dickriding, just like you do when I never I argue about something. It's cool, just have balls and admit it. Just because you don't understand my argument or because you like dickriding any argument against mine

Seriousy, LOL.

Until here, I probably hadn't responded to comments from yourself for MONTHS.... Prob since the Bischoff 'debate' you were alluded to above (and if YOU hadn't reminded me of it, it'd have never crossed my mind again). Says to me you're the one harbouring 'grudges' and 'stalking' me, not the other way round.

doesn't make my arguments horrible.

No, their fucked up sense of logic does.

I made logical points to defend Rude as a heel over Roberts.

Just cos YOU think your arguments are logical, it doesn't make them so.

Considering the amount of peeps that have 'chimed' in on this sub-topic, if your logic/arguments were worth shit, wouldn't you assume that it wouldn't end up being 'Nation vs The World' and that SOMEONE, anyone, would have agree with you by now?

It's pathetic when I have to beat a dead horse to make any kind of point against half of you here because you ignore/avoid half of my points.

So everyone else is dumb and the logic behind your arguments is sound? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.......

You whine about everyone ignoring your points, but you still haven't even managed to answer the question from 2 pages back.... Name ONE memorable Rude promo.

You can't.

...god...

Reaction score
It's ok, nation just has a case of Kaedon-syndrome. Hopefully it will subside, though there is no known actual cures.

And Airfixx, he actually did name a memorable promo... the promo on Nitro when he showed up on both Nitro/Raw that night. Read page 1.

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
wow way off topic.... But if the only choices are Trips or Foley, its got to be Trips. Foley's done.

Others I'd love to see challenge for the streak at Mania (assuming time was not an issue), Lesnar, The Rock, Cena, Austin, Jericho & Punk

Airfixx

Reaction score
And Airfixx, he actually did name a memorable promo... the promo on Nitro when he showed up on both Nitro/Raw that night. Read page 1.

I did note that, but was instantly, succesfully refuted as not being memorable as a result of the contents or the delivery (i.e qualities that can actually be attributed to Rude)... It's just memorable cos of the fact that he appeared on shows that were being broadcast simultaneously.

Tellingly, I don't even remember what he was chatting about on either show that night.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
wow way off topic.... But if the only choices are Trips or Foley, its got to be Trips. Foley's done.

Others I'd love to see challenge for the streak at Mania (assuming time was not an issue), Lesnar, The Rock, Cena, Austin, Jericho & Punk

oh and Sting

nation

Reaction score
Nation, stop. Just stop. Pillman was NEVER ahead of his time as a light heavyweight or high flyer. Dude could throw a drop kick, high crossbody and a sunset flip. Basically the entire NWA roster was throwing those moves ten years before Pillman ever entered wrestling. I don't have anything against Pillman,I bought his DVD the day it came out. I have a problem with you over rating people by trying to argue that they are under rated. No they aren't and you're arguments are terribly flawed. It's your opinion backed with so little fact that I almost think you are trolling me. Pillman was NOT a good wrestler and for someone that continually beats the "Stop putting words in my mouth" bullshit argument to death, when did I say Austin carried Pillman? Oh yeah, never. I said he was the engine and he was. He was the superior talent, not even debatable. There was a reason Flair wanted to groom Austin to be champ before Hogan came in and fucked everything up.

Name three great non Liger matches Pillman had. Can't be done because there aren't any. The coolest thing Pillman ever did was tell Jim Herd, after Herd told him to take a paycut or be a jobber, that he would be the highest paid curtain jerker of all time and his Flair impersonation. Outside that, he isn't as revolutionary as you want to make yourself believe him to be. I can name a character from the same time period that was far more edgy and truly groundbreaking; Goldust. Just like Rude, you are over rating the fuck out of the guy.

When the hell was I calling Pillman a great worker in the ring? He was good before the accident but I've been giving him props for his character and for being ahead of time in the ring, were other guys doing some of the same moves? Yeah but Pillman was doing it for the biggest audience and he helped create the crusierweight division, I don't know how that can be argued.

I didn't overrated Rude, you want to argue about Pillman? That's debatable but I backed up everything about Rude while you backed all around the arguments and somehow claim Roberts was a better heel despite yet again how Rude is one of the most influential heels ever.

nation

Reaction score
Benoit went from WCW to ECW and was one of their top guys.

Stieners went there and were at the top of the card for the few shows they were there.

Justin Credible went there and became champ

Shane Douglas went there and due to Heyman's genius became their most successful name in kayfabe terms

Raven came after a terrible run in the fed as Johnny Polo and was champ for the better part of two years

Snuka, Tito Santanna and Don Muraco were their three top draws in the company's formative days

Want to reevaluate that statement?

Holy shit, are you serious? He's a prime example of not understanding what I meant. I said few guys. I'm well aware that these guys you mentioned did something but there is a longer list of ex WCW/WWF talent that went their and did absolutely nothing while Pillman at least kept his gimmick alive and keeping the hype behind it still going.

Also, Luke I'm really not going to bother. Clearly you aren't familiar with all of Pillman's work and you do make up shit. By definition it may explain what I was saying but everyone here knows what I fucking meant. I was strictly saying he kept his gimmick going. I never called him in relevant in ECW since this is what you're claiming I'm saying. He wasn't relevant at all in regards to ECW. Never said he was but happy now?

wrestlingotter

Reaction score
I really think they didn't put much thought into the Streak until it was too late. They had the Cena v. Rock thing going on then CM Punk and his run happening. So it was either that or they didn't think they had anyone on their roster that would be on that caliber to make a five star match with Taker at Wrestlmania. So, even though I don't care to see it again, it will be Taker v. HHH 3.