The Shawn Michaels Appreciation Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Showstopper

The Icon That Can Still Go
Reaction score
11 years ago tonight Shawn and HHH won the tag titles at TLC 2009 in Shawn's hometown of San Antonio, TX. This was 3 months before his last match at WM 26. So, it was pretty cool to see win a title (even if it was the tag titles) before retiring a few months later, and to win it in his hometown as one last hurrah was pretty cool. Good, crazy, match, too:

Reactions: DammitC and Chris

Showstopper

Reaction score
Since 2021 is going to be the 25 year anniversary of Shawn's incredible 1996 World Title run; I have this crazy idea where I want to review every televised match he had in 1996; Raw and PPV. Raw was only one hour long in 1996, so any match that he had on Raw in 1996 is probably in the 10-15 minute range for the most part. I really wanna see if I can do this and pay tribute to such an incredible in-ring year for him, and one of the best world title runs in terms of match quality. Gonna see if I can do it starting January with the 1996 Royal Rumble, I wouldn't review the entire Rumble, but just from the part where Shawn enters (which I believe is 16th or 18th) and on. So, it wouldn't be very long or difficult. The Iron Man match at WM 12 would be the hardest since it went 62 mins. I'm making no promises, but I really wanna try to do this.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I reviewed the Iron Man match for my thread a few years ago since it won PWI MOTY and I was doing that project. Not too bad, just drags some at the beginning but it picks up a ton once HBK kicks the timekeeper's head off.

Reactions: Showstopper

Showstopper

Reaction score
I reviewed the Iron Man match for my thread a few years ago since it won PWI MOTY and I was doing that project. Not too bad, just drags some at the beginning but it picks up a ton once HBK kicks the timekeeper's head off.
Yeah. Obviously, I'm not gonna go move for move (in any match for that matter), but I want to cover most of the action and the overall story of the match. I just have to overcome my laziness. If I can do that, I can do the project. Raw only being an hour in 1996 will help and I would imagine kept the length of all the of matches in that year on the low side which would help me.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah. Obviously, I'm not gonna go move for move (in any match for that matter), but I want to cover most of the action and the overall story of the match. I just have to overcome my laziness. If I can do that, I can do the project. Raw only being an hour in 1996 will help and I would imagine kept the length of all the of matches in that year on the low side which would help me.

Yeah I try to keep my reviews fairly short, mostly describing the match instead of even reviewing if that makes sense and then giving final thoughts at the end. But still the really good matches ended up having long ones bc I was marking out over so many spots so it is what it is :lol

Reactions: Showstopper

Showstopper

Reaction score
25 years ago tonight, Shawn's march to winning his first World Title began TONIGHT as he won the 1996 Royal Rumble, marking his second consecutive Royal Rumble in a row. Here's a little review I did of it after watching earlier today. I am starting the review at where Shawn came out, which is #18. Enjoy!

royal-rumble-1996.jpg

MV5BMmI2M2JkZDYtY2IxMi00NThiLTlmYjctYzYyYzVmYzg3YmEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkxODI3MTY@._V1_.jpg

Shawn comes out to a massive pop and goes around the ring attacking almost everyone. Yokozuna and Vader are going at it against the ropes and Shawns goes for their legs and eliminates both of them simultaneously which the crowd loved. Shawn them eliminates his Kliq buddy, the 1-2-3 Kid. Crowd goes insane again. Vader would storm back to the ring and press slam Shawn outside of the ring:

64c9637e25e405bb-600x338.jpg

Shawn eliminates Lawler. Hakushi and HHH almost eliminate Shawn, but he manages to sneak in under the bottom rope and stay in. Diesel and Shawn go at it as Diesel hits the ring. Owen almost suplex's Shawn out, but Shawn manages to hang on. Owen hits an enziguri on Shawn and Shawn sells it like he's really hurt (callback to the 11/20/05 RAW). Right after that, Diesel and Shawn team-up to eliminate Owen, as the camera almost misses it completely. Austin gets a cheapshot on Shawn and then celebrates by doing the HBK pose. :LOL: Owen comes back to attack Shawn, which would setup a PPV match between the two the very next month, in which the winner would face Bret at WM 12 for the title. I will review that match next month. Diesel saves Shawn from press slam from the Bulldog as Shawn then eliminates Issac Yankem (Kane) with a dropkick. The last four in the ring are Shawn, Diesel, Kama and Bulldog:

maxresdefault.jpg

Shawn clothleslines Bulldog out of the ring to eliminate him. Kama gets Shawn over the top:

QtcikAgb-600x338.jpg

, but Shawn would skin the cat back in, and Diesel would eliminate Kama. What I like most about this Rumble match are the near-eliminations of Shawn and him finding a way to survive and keep himself in the ring. It highlights Shawn's determination, motivation, and toughness. It shows that he will not be denied after winning the previous year's Rumble, but then losing the title match to Diesel at WM. Shawn would be there waiting for Diesel to turn around Shawn would super-kick his ass over the top giving Shawn his second consecutive Royal Rumble win as the crowd goes nuts and Shawn slaps the mats with both hands multiple times in celebration!:

Shawn-Michaels-gana-Royal-Rumble-1996.gif

Referee Jack Down would raise Shawn's arm as Shawn stares down the hard-camera:

rumble96_hbk_010412--868d2034d993a25b9184cf42419a793d.jpg

Shawn would then continue the celebration with his patented pose:

ShawnMichaelsRR_crop_north.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed that. Gonna try to write a little review for every Shawn PPV match (and maybe Raw matches, too) of 1996 since this is the 25 year anniversary of his legendary first World Title run in 1996.

Here is the video of the entire 1996 Rumble match. Shawn comes out at the 35:57 mark:

Showstopper

Reaction score
January 22, 1996:

mondaynightraw.jpg

Shawn Michaels Promo with Vince McMahon; One Night Removed from Winning the 1996 Royal Rumble:

Shawn comes out all pumped up just 24 hours removed from winning his second consecutive Royal Rumble. A fan is holding a sign up in the crowd that reads: "SHAWN MICHAELS THE LEADER OF THE NEW GENERATION:

eHNPbZi.png

Vince congratulates Shawn on his victory as Shawn says the last thing he wants to do is say, "I told you so", but he told you so. :)

32wkRBw.png

Shawn says he has a 3 step plan. Win the Royal Rumble, go to WrestleMania, but between now and then he and the Kliq have something to handle, and that would be Owen Hart for putting him out. Shawn says no one talks trash in the WWF, but him because he and his Kliq are going to their dream, the WWF Championship. Jim Cornette comes out to the ring and interrupts:

maxresdefault.jpg

Jim says if Shawn wants Owen, he has to talk to him because he signs Owen's contracts. Jim says Owen deserves all of the credit for putting Shawn out. Vince asks Jim how did it feel to watch Shawn eliminate Owen. Vince sticking up for Shawn :LOL: . Jim gets pissed off and says Owen has proved his point and there is no reason for Owen to give Shawn a match because from now on Owen will be remembered as the guy who knocked Shawn out. Jim says Shawn has nothing to offer Owen in order to give him another match. Shawn says he'd do anything to get his hands on Owen. Jim says if Shawn puts his title shot at WM on the line to Owen, they can then talk about another match. Shawn says he's waited 11 long years for this shot, Jim says he doesn't care. Shawn then asks the fans 'how bad do we want Owen Hart?' Shawn grants Owen the match, and says he is going to do to Owen what he is about do to Jim, and throws him over the top rope:

Gf5Qg6S.png

Shawn's music hits, he celebrates and the promo segment is over.

Good promo segment between two good mic workers in Shawn and Jim. They did a good job explaining why Owen is getting this match for the World Title shot at WM 12, at the next month's PPV. It's also a February IYH show one month before WM, they have to have SOMETHING on the show to sell and get fans interested.

Anyway, I'll be back next week on the 1996 review train as Shawn takes on Yokozuna on the 1/29/96 Raw.

Last edited:

Showstopper

Reaction score
This match isn't part of our 1996 canon we have going here in this thread this year, but the match is so damn good and literally my favorite series of tag matches between two teams ever that I want to post it here:

32 years ago tonight at MSG, The Rockers took on the Arn & Tully; the Brainbusters. I've said it before, but these guys had my favorite series of tag matches ever. This is another great match-up between the two teams:

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
January 22, 1996:

mondaynightraw.jpg

Shawn Michaels Promo with Vince McMahon; One Night Removed from Winning the 1996 Royal Rumble:

Shawn comes out all pumped up just 24 hours removed from winning his second consecutive Royal Rumble. A fan is holding a sign up in the crowd that reads: "SHAWN MICHAELS THE LEADER OF THE NEW GENERATION:

eHNPbZi.png

Vince congratulates Shawn on his victory as Shawn says the last thing he wants to do is say, "I told you so", but he told you so. :)

32wkRBw.png

Shawn says he has a 3 step plan. Win the Royal Rumble, go to WrestleMania, but between now and then he and the Kliq have something to handle, and that would be Owen Hart for putting him out. Shawn says no one talks trash in the WWF, but him because he and his Kliq are going to their dream, the WWF Championship. Jim Cornette comes out to the ring and interrupts:

maxresdefault.jpg

Jim says if Shawn wants Owen, he has to talk to him because he signs Owen's contracts. Jim says Owen deserves all of the credit for putting Shawn out. Vince asks Jim how did it feel to watch Shawn eliminate Owen. Vince sticking up for Shawn :LOL: . Jim gets pissed off and says Owen has proved his point and there is no reason for Owen to give Shawn a match because from now on Owen will be remembered as the guy who knocked Shawn out. Jim says Shawn has nothing to offer Owen in order to give him another match. Shawn says he'd do anything to get his hands on Owen. Jim says if Shawn puts his title shot at WM on the line to Owen, they can then talk about another match. Shawn says he's waited 11 long years for this shot, Jim says he doesn't care. Shawn then asks the fans 'how bad do we want Owen Hart?' Shawn grants Owen the match, and says he is going to do to Owen what he is about do to Jim, and throws him over the top rope:

Gf5Qg6S.png

Shawn's music hits, he celebrates and the promo segment is over.

Good promo segment between two good mic workers in Shawn and Jim. They did a good job explaining why Owen is getting this match for the World Title shot at WM 12, at the next month's PPV. It's also a February IYH show one month before WM, they have to have SOMETHING on the show to sell and get fans interested.

Anyway, I'll be back next week on the 1996 review train as Shawn takes on Yokozuna on the 1/29/96 Raw.

This is one of the worst writing and times in the business, HBK was a great character developed in 1992 until Cornette and Prichard ruined him with the boyhood dream stuff,

Shawn didn’t have a good character again until DX, when Russo wrote for him, that was his peak character.

Cornette much like Tony Kahn and Triple H didn’t have a clue and simply can’t write.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
This is one of the worst writing and times in the business, HBK was a great character developed in 1992 until Cornette and Prichard ruined him with the boyhood dream stuff,

Shawn didn’t have a good character again until DX, when Russo wrote for him, that was his peak character.

Cornette much like Tony Kahn and Triple H didn’t have a clue and simply can’t write.

These appreciation threads are just for fans to talk about folks they like. If you wanna have a critical discussion you can make a thread in a different section tho, or just a general Shawn Michaels thread where we can discuss pros and cons of him.

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
These appreciation threads are just for fans to talk about folks they like. If you wanna have a critical discussion you can make a thread in a different section tho, or just a general Shawn Michaels thread where we can discuss pros and cons of him.

I did appreciate Shawn... DX Shawn. I’m not gonna lie and pretend his boyhood dream era was good though.

I’m appreciating how Russo revived the Shawn Michaels character.

Showstopper

Reaction score

I'm well aware of that. Never said it was his best character or even a good version of him. It wasn't.

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Since we are doing classic HBK Royal Rumble moments. I would have to say. He and Marty, the Rockers wrestled their best tag team match ever against The Orient Express at Royal Rumble 1991. My second favorite tag match in Royal Rumble match history. That match was a clinic, it was fun and entertaining to watch. Also it was a bit better than their WM VI match. Glad I still own the video.

Showstopper

Reaction score
January 29, 1996:

mondaynightraw.jpg

Just 8 days removed from his second consecutive Royal Rumble victory, Shawn Michaels makes his way down to the ring to face Yokozuna in one on one action and lets everyone know he's still in the Kliq:

hgs2gfH.png

Shawn plays the game of pointing at his opponent so the crowd boos, and then pointing at himself so the crowd cheers:

B67Esl9.png

Crowd boos!

wjPLi2p.png

Crowd cheers

They lock up and Yoko throws Shawn to the mat, exhibiting his clear power advantage as the crowd boos. Hard shoulder-block as Shawn hits the mat hard. Shawn uses his speed advantage and knocks Yoko out of the ring with a series of hard right hands as the crowd explodes in approval:

xpdc1TL.png

Now, sensing Yoko might be in some trouble Owen Hart makes his way down to ringside:

R36XrgZ.png

And Shawn could careless as he runs around ringside giving high-fives to the fans, :LOL: :

R20q3Jf.png

Back from commercial, Shawn is in the corner and Yoko runs and jumps at him only for Shawn to move out of the way of that freight train. Shawn goes to the top rope and hits a double axe-handle. Shawn goes back to the top, and hits a picture perfect moonsault on Yokozuna:

5G6ITZr.png

2 count on the moonsault. Yoko irish-whips Shawn into the corner and out of the ring. Owen is attacking Shawn on ht outside with kicks and rams his back into the ring post:

echGx8t.png

They are making it clear Shawn is the underdog babyface here with not only the size difference between he and Yokozuna, but also in the numbers game with Jim Cornette and Owen Hart attacking Shawn on the outside of the ring as Shawn lies on the outside of the ring after the most recent attack:

VnHvawn.png

On commentary, Vince reminds us that no matter what, you can't count out Shawn Michaels, making it very clear he is the new top babyface in the company. Owen attacks Shawn again with another cheapshot to the back. Shawn can't catch a break in this match thus far, especially since Owen came down ringside. Shawn slowly makes his way back into the ring. Yoko snapmeres Shawn down and works Shawn's shoulder, but it's really just a way for Yoko to rest and get the crowd going again for Shawn. Shawn back up on his feet, and elbows Yoko a few times to the stomach and runs the ropes only to be met with a vicious clothesline that sends Shawn back down:

PqmyiSc.png

Back from commercial, Yoko misses a legdrop. Crowd firmly behind Shawn as Shawn goes to the top and misses with a splash. Both guys are down on the mat as we are at a clear crossroads in this match. Yoko makes his way on his feet first. Shawn blocks a Yoko punch, and hits him with a few more right hands. Shawn hits his patented running fore-arm on Yoko not once, but twice as the crowd goes nuts:

eThxcHZ.png

Shawn then hits Yoko with his patented jumping boot to the side of the head:

auS5SB2.png

Shawn then goes to the top and Yoko catches Shawn in mid-air and runs him into the corner. Cornette jumps on the apron and has the ref distracted. Owen enters the ring as Yoko holds Shawn. Owen goes for the spinning heel kick, but Shawn moves out of the way and he hits Yoko with it instead!:

eyajVNk.png

Crowd loves that. Shawn then hits Yokozuna with some Sweet Chin Music!:

Eqci4ba.png

Shawn wins and the crowd pops. Shawn celebrates after the win!

oA0fz55.png

Dissention among the ranks in Camp Cornette continues as Owen, Bulldog, and Yoko aren't on the same page. They then realize Shawn is out there by himself. Fortunately, Diesel hits the ring at the perfect time to even out the odds alittle bit!:

KlhIgBR.png

After that, Cornette challenges Shawn and Diesel to a tag match on next week's Raw with Shawn and Diesel taking on the British Bulldog and Yokozuna. Shawn and Diesel accept as they do what would later on become to be known as the nWo "spooky fingers", which as you can see, the Kliq were doing on WWF TV long before the nWo ever existed:

SLLLquN.png

Analysis: I really liked this match. A good, solid TV match that told a story and built Shawn stronger as he overcame the odds in terms of size difference between he and Yokozuna AND the numbers-game advantage on the outside of the ring with Owen Hart and Jim Cornette interfering at different times of the match. Shawn had to be built strong to take on Bret and win the title at WM in the next couple of months. He won the Rumble the previous year, but lost clean to Diesel for the title at the previous year's at WM. He was going to win it this year, but had to be built very strong going into WM 12 as this would be his first time winning the World Title, and winning it from the guy who had been the face of the company for the past 4 years. They did an effective job here, and Shawn is very over as the top face. Good stuff.

Hope you guys enjoyed this week's foray into Shawn's 1996! Next week at this time on next week's RAW, we will be taking a look at the HBK/Diesel (2 Dudes with Attitude!) vs. British Bulldog and Yokozuna in some tag action. See you next week!

Last edited:

Showstopper

Reaction score
February 5, 1996:

mondaynightraw.jpg

After last week's challenge from Jim Cornette, Shawn and Diesel will be taking on the British Bulldog and Yokozuna in tag-team action on this edition of MONDAY NIGHT RAW! This match will actually kick-off this week's edition of Raw, in hopes of getting the show off to a hot start, I would imagine. Shawn and Diesel make their entrance and Shawn is still flashing the Kliq hand signal to the camera:

AVUYnB9.png

Shawn and Diesel then play rock, scissor, paper to decide who will start out the match for their team:

4lxyYWG.png

Shawn wins, so he will start off the match. Shawn and Davey start the match off and Bulldog shoulder-blocks Shawn out of the ring to display his clear strength advantage over Shawn:

gwzDTko.png

Shawn and Davey tie up again and Davey lifts Shawn over his head, but Shawn manages to counter out of that. Shawn clothelines Davey out of the ring and Shawn skins the cat back into the ring.

Ma3AC2K.png

Yoko enters the ring behind Shawn, punches him and irish-whips him, but Diesel (who has also entered the ring) catches Shawn in mid-air and throws him right into Yoko which knocks Yoko down.

r9yKxGW.png

Time to reset, Shawn tags in Diesel and Bulldog tags in Yokozuna. The battle of the big men. They trade punches and the crowd chants Diesel as the crowd is 100% behind Diesel. Yoko samoan body-drops Diesel down hard. Yoko misses a big elbow drop. Crowd is very hot for this match. Diesel tags in Shawn. Yoko irish-whips Shawn into the ropes, but Bulldog pulls down the top rope, which sends Shawn to the outside:!

ndposjq.png

Bulldog then goes outside of the ring and irish-whips Shawn right into the steel steps!:

center]

Back in the ring, Bulldog gives Shawn his patented, long suplex:

center]

Bulldog in control here. Yoko and Davey double-team Shawn in the corner as they go to commercial. Back from commercial, Yoko is in control with Shawn here. Yoko snapmeres Shawn down, and starts working Shawn's shoulder as Yoko clearly needs to catch his breath here. Yoko tags in Davey. Shawn is working an effective FIP here and now Davey is dominant in there with Shawn getting worked over here, and even double-teamed. Yoko body-slams Shawn down hard, but Shawn moves out of the way from Yoko's leg-drop. Both guys are down now as the crowd chants "USA". Shawn finally tags in Diesel. Diesel with the right-hands to Yoko and boots down Davey! Now a big boot to Yoko. Diesel tags in Shawn, and Shawn goes to the top of Diesel's shoulders, in the corner, and splashes on top of Yokozuna:

center]

Bulldog goes to legdrop Shawn, but Shawn moves out of the way, and Bulldog legdrops Yoko instead! Diesel clothleslines Bulldog over the top rope to the outside! Shawn revs up for some Sweet Chin Music and...

center]

This sends Yoko out of the ring. Shawn and Diesel have reclaimed the momentum of this match. Out comes Owen Hart, as Owen and Davey try to help Yoko up to get back in the ring to prevent him from being counted out as he is the legal man. Ultimately though, their efforts prove to be fruitless as Yoko can't get up, and Shawn and Diesel are awarded the winners via Countout:

center]

After the match, Yoko turns babyface and attacks Cornette, who got in Yoko's face after the match and blamed the loss on him.

Analysis: Another good match that had the crowd hyped up throughout. It's fun going back and watching the build to (finally) making Shawn the top guy. It still feels weird to go back in time to a time when Shawn was never World Champion yet. Thus far, they are effectively portraying him as the top guy and Diesel as the sidekick, when the previous year in 1995, it was the other way around with Diesel being portrayed as the top guy and Shawn as the sidekick. There are also the last few months of Diesel's WWF run before he'd go to WCW and start the nWo, so there was no reason to push Diesel hard when he had already given Vince his 90 day notice and let him know that he was leaving the WWF and going to the competition. So, this is a very interesting time in the WWF with Razor and Diesel leaving, and Shawn finally getting the big push to become the top guy. Hope you guys enjoyed this!

For the following week (2/12), there was no Raw, I'm guessing due to the dog show that USA used to air. So, there will be no review next week. The following week (2/19), there is a Raw, but no Shawn match or interview. He works a dark tag match with Diesel against Jake Roberts and The Undertaker. There is no video of that match. The next Shawn on-air Raw appearance after today is 2/26, three weeks from now and since I do these reviews on the day they happened in 1996 to mark the 25 year anniversary to the day, I won't be doing another one of these for another three weeks sadly. So, I'll see you guys in three weeks!​

Last edited: