The Shawn Michaels Appreciation Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Showstopper

The Icon That Can Still Go
Reaction score
30 years ago tonight at WrestleMania 7, The Rockers took on Haku and Barbarian and Shawn got his first WM win ever!:

Reactions: DammitC

Showstopper

Reaction score
March 25, 1996:

mondaynightraw.jpg

Overview: We are just six days away from WrestleMania 12! On this go-home edition of Raw, the show opens up with Shawn taking on Leif Cassidy of the "New Rockers." Leif Cassidy, is of course, Al Snow. This should be a nice, little tune-up for Shawn going into WrestleMania just six days later. Bret is also ringside to do commentary on the match with Vince.

Review: Shawn comes down to the ring and he is doing his 'Kliq-Cam' gimmick of filming the fans with his camcorder:

Raw01.png

Both guys lockup as Leif has Shawn in the corner, but lets him go. Shawn shoulder-blocks Leif down, arm-drag takedown as Shawn takes control early in the match with an armbar. Leif works out of it, both guys run the ropes and Shawn hits him with a crossbody, and goes back into the armbar. Shawn has firm control of the match thus far.

Cassidy takes control by hitting what can be described as a spine-buster type of maneuver as he takes control. He then puts Shawn in a surfboard like maneuver as they go to commercial. Cassidy hits Shawn with a vertical suplex and then puts Shawn in a chinlock as he maintains control of the match. Shawn starts to get up and gets out of with a few right hands. Both guys trade small-package combo pin attempts that all result in two counts for both men. Leif pokes Shawn in the eye and takes control and hits Shawn with this:

Raw03.gif

So, after Shawn nearly dies, Cassidy puts the boots to Shawn and stomps him a few times to kill time and give Shawn some time to recover. Leif puts Shawn on the top rope and hits him with a super-plex! Cassidy goes for the pin and gets a two count.

Both guys trade right hands and Cassidy once again puts Shawn on the top. But this time Shawn counters it by throwing Leif onto the mat and following it up with a huge flying clothesline from the top! Both guys are down, but Cassidy gets up first, and then Shawn nips up! Shawn hits an atomic drop and then peppers him with punches in the corner. Shawn gets tripped up by Marty on the outside and goes. This makes Bret get up and remove Marty from the situation. This distracts Leif, and enables Shawn to hit some SWEET CHIN MUSIC on Cassidy for the win!

After the match, Shawn immediately goes to Marty on the outside of the ring to get him back for tripping him during the match, on his way to Marty, Shawn kind of pushes Bret out of the with his one hand, and this pissed Bret off and we finally get a staredown for Shawn and Bret:

Raw04.png

Analysis: Shawn keeps his momentum with another victory, this time just 6 days away from the biggest match of his life. Match was nothing special. It almost seemed as if ALwas alittle nervous in this match or something. Who knows. But the story is Shawn and Bret finally have a confrontation of some kind in this build to WM. It was simple but effective. I get not wanting them to touch and save that anticipation for WrestleMania, but I would've had them one brawl before WM, probably right here on this Raw before it gets broken up in like a minute or so as Raw goes off the air. Still, this was a simple but effective segment, though.

Reactions: Chris

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
God that HBK Montreal promo is one of the best ever no cap
tbf that was a perfect storm he was in Montréal that will always hate Shawn and pissed that Hogan made him go heel

Showstopper

Reaction score
23 years ago tonight, Shawn defended the WWF Title against Steve Austin at WM 14 with Mike Tyson as 'Special Enforcer.' He also wound up wearing the best gear of his career (IMO) and had the best look of his career. I happen to own the kneepads that Shawn wore in this match. This would be the last time Shawn would wrestle in the 90's and the last match of his career for 4.5 years:

Reactions: Chris and DammitC

Showstopper

Reaction score
18 years ago tonight, Shawn made his long-awaited return to WrestleMania after a 5 year self-imposed absence, and returned to WrestleMania 19 and took on Chris Jericho. This was a dream match of mine and many others since I started liking Jericho when he turned heel in WCW in January 1998. This match was 5 years in the making for alot of us and it delivered in a big way as many consider this to be the MOTN of WM 19:

13 years ago tonight at WrestleMania 24, Shawn Michaels retired his favorite wrestler of all time, Ric Flair in a classic match that was entirely written by Shawn that told a great, great story:

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
18 years ago tonight, Shawn made his long-awaited return to WrestleMania after a 5 year self-imposed absence, and returned to WrestleMania 19 and took on Chris Jericho. This was a dream match of mine and many others since I started liking Jericho when he turned heel in WCW in January 1998. This match was 5 years in the making for alot of us and it delivered in a big way as many consider this to be the MOTN of WM 19:

13 years ago tonight at WrestleMania 24, Shawn Michaels retired his favorite wrestler of all time, Ric Flair in a classic match that was entirely written by Shawn that told a great, great story:

That match against Flair still gets me all emotional. One of the saddest moments in wrestling.

Brilliant storytelling. Flair getting up and still trying to fight. Beautiful.

0HspgjH.gif

If Flair had stayed retired it would even sadder.

Reactions: Showstopper

Showstopper

Reaction score
That match against Flair still gets me all emotional. One of the saddest moments in wrestling.

Brilliant storytelling. Flair getting up and still trying to fight. Beautiful.

0HspgjH.gif

If Flair had stayed retired it would even sadder.
Completely agree, man. The match told a great story from start to finish. Flair's career encapsulized in 25 minutes. Great stuff.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Shawn vs. Jericho is low key the 2nd best match on the entire show and god what a match.

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
After watching the entire show last night, I think it's the best match on the show, tbh.

You talking about XIX?

That overall show is stacked. I even enjoyed Vince vs Hogan, was not expecting that shit to slap as much as it did. Just perfect storytelling.

That fucking card is unreal,

Austin/Rock
HBK/Y2J
HHH/Booker
Brock/Angle

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I might re-watch that at some point this weekend, trying to get in to the WrestleMania mood and I'm definitely feeling it a bit more this year. I think it is the crowds coming back for me. Takeover, I think I'm a little more excited for.

I really like Brock vs. Angle but it's a shame Brock missed that shooting star press. That was so close. Brock is one tough motherfucker.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
After watching the entire show last night, I think it's the best match on the show, tbh.

I dunno, Rock/Austin III is honestly my favorite match on the card and tbh, I think it's the best match of the trilogy.

But yeah, Mania XIX is an incredibly top-heavy show whereas Mania X-Seven is just a more balanced show I guess, so it depends on what you're looking for, good action all throughout, or a bad undercard and a GOAT main card.

Last edited:
Reactions: DammitC

Showstopper

Reaction score
25 YEARS AGO TONIGHT:

March 31, 1996:

5bb843bccaa27a20a3b1f15e076d36862e09fa6c_00.jpg

Overview: We are finally here! Shawn's much-deserved coronation as the "Leader of the New Generation" has finally come.

Match: Shawn takes Bret down with waistlock takedown after they lock up a couple of times.:

IronMan%2B2.gif

The story here is Shawn is trying to prove that he can keep up with Bret when it comes to technical wrestling. Shawn begins to work the arm of Bret, but Bret takes Shawn down with a side-headlock. On commentary, they are having Lawler plant the seeds of a Bret heel turn by saying that he is jealous that some of Bret's fans have converted over to becoming Shawn's fans. Clever foreshadowing. Both me trade nearfalls, but neither man earns himself a pinfall. Then, comes a clever chain-wrestling exchange:

IronMan%2B3.gif

Bret is focusing on Shawn's head/neck area and trying to sap the strength of Shawn, which makes sense since it is a 60 minute match, so trying to tire out your opponent seems like a smart strategy. Shawn takes Bret down with two armdrag takedowns before settling in on an armbar:

IronMan%2B1.jpg

Shawn is working the hold and slamming down on Bret's arm with his knee multiple times. Bret takes Shawn down with a drop-toehold, but Shawn reverses it back into working on Bret's arm and shoulder. Shawn then head-scissors Bret out of the ring much to Bret's dismay as Bret seems to be getting slightly frustrated. Bret thinks he has thrown Shawn over the top rope, but Shawn skins the cat back into the ring while Bret's head is turned, and is able to take Bret down again. Bret regains control and headbutts Shawn in his lower abdomen and follows it up with a legdrop.

Bret hits Shawn with a clothesline that Shawn makes it look like it was a stiff one, even though it wasn't, with his magnificent selling.

Then Shawn irishsups Bret into the ringpost, which he hits hard, and then winds up falling into the lap of Tony Chimel. Shawn goes for the superkick, but Bret moves and winds up nailing Tony:

WM1226.gif

Bret follows this up by locking Shawn in a headlock, and then yells at the referee.

"“Ask him, Earl, ask him; it's not a staring contest!”

IronMan%2B6.gif

Shawn then continues to work over Bret's arm really, really well.

IronMan%2B7.gif

Shawn then goes to the top, but Bret catches him there and pulls him down by his hair as they bump Earl Hebner in a really good looking, hard-hitting spot:

IronMan%2B7.gif

Bret then hits Shawn with a piledriver:

IronMan%2B2.jpg

Bret goes back up top, but this time Shawn throws him off the buckle. Hurricanrana by Shawn who peppers in a bunch of punches. He goes for Sweet Chin Music, but Bret gets the ropes. Rib breaker by Shawn who covers for two. Elbow to the face takes Bret to the corner. Shawn tries again for the superkick, but Bret rolls outside. Shawn goes to the top and hits Bret with a HUGE splash:

WM1229.gif

Shawn rolls in, but rolls back out, breaking the count. He rolls Bret in and goes up, hitting another cross body, but Bret rolls it around and covers for two yet again. Shawn reverses a whip and tries a hiptoss, but Bret turns it into an attempted backslide. Shawn flips free and gets in a small package for a two count. Fisherman suplex by Shawn only gets a two count. We are now thirty five minutes in as Shawn locks in a sleeper hold. Bret takes Shawn to the corner, but Shawn goes right back in. Arm drop spot, but Bret recovers. He tries to take Shawn to the corner, but Shawn counters, and reapplies the sleeper. Bret tries a back suplex, but Shawn flips and gets in an elbow and a kick to the face.

Shawn irish whips Bret into the corner. Shawn comes charging in at Bret, but Bret back-body-dops Shawn OVER the ringpost, and Shawn falls flat on his back on the outside in one of the most insane sports I've ever seen someone take:

WM1230.gif

After that, Bret smartly decides to start working over Shawn's back. He picks Shawn up and slams his back into the ringpost:

IronMan%2B9.gif

Bret bring Shawn back in the ring and hits him with some hard-hitting elbows and headbutts to soften Shawn up some more as Bret is trying to land the first pinfall of the match. Bret hits an elbow on Shawn's back:

IronMan%2B10.gif

Bret hits a superplex on Shawn, Shawn kicksout at 2. Bret with a Russian Legsweep for a 2 count. Bret whips Shawn hard into the corner, and Shawn lands over the top onto the outside, crashing into Jose.

Bret hits a belly to belly suplex on Shawn for a 2 count. Shawn comes back with some rights, but Bret goes right back to the lower back with more clubbing blows. More stiff corner uppercuts from Bret followed by a vertical suplex attempt. However Shawn turns it into a roll up for two as Bret throws him to the outside. Bret then hits a suicide dive on Shawn, as they clunk heads for real:

WM1232.gif

Bret german suplexes Shawn over the top rope and into the ring for a 2 count. Shawn bites his tongue for real and spits out some blood. Both guys trade some stiff-looking shots on eachother:

IronMan%2B11.gif

As we get down to the five minute mark, Bret goes to the second rope and goes for his elbow, but Shawn gets his boot up and boots Bret in the face:

IronMan%2B12.gif

With less than five minutes left, Shawn digs deep into his bag of tricks as he begins to get desperate to get just one pinfall. Watching this, you can feel the desperation coming off your TV screen. Shawn has worked the last 12 years to get to this point, and if he doesn't get a pin or submission in the next (less than) 5 minutes, his lifehood dream is over and goes up in smoke. It's actually a pretty great little story within the last 5 minutes of the match.
Moonsault, for a 2 count.

Reverse double-axe handle gets a 2 count:

IronMan%2B13.gif

MORE DESPERATION. Shawn goes to the top, but Bret is able to land the sharpshooter on Shawn with 35 seconds left!:

IronMan%2B14.gif

Bret has the Sharpshooter on for the last 35 seconds of the match, but Shawn never taps out. He never gives in! He knows this is a moment of a lifetime for him and he simply won't willingly give in!

The match ends, but Shawn never taps. Neither has guy has pinned or submitted the other. Bret goes up the ramp with the belt and thinks he has this won:

IronMan%2B16.gif

WWF President Gorilla Monsoon has decided "THERE MUST BE A WINNER" as Howrd Finkel screams into the mic. Bret comes back down, asking "WHY?" and the match restarts. Shawn hits Bret, with NOT ONE, BUT TWO SUPERKICKS!:

WM1234.gif

1......2.......3! "THE BOYHOOD DREAM HAS COME TRUE...FOR SHAWN MICHAELS!"

WM1235.png

IronMan%2B18.gif

Review: One of the, if not the, biggest moment in Shawn's career. Shawn's big crowning moment...finally after 8 years of being in the WWF and 12 years of being in the business. Must've felt great for him and like a big boulder removed from his back. Both of these guys busted their ass out there for 62 minutes. Shawn has said in his "FROM THE VAULT" DVD back in 2003, that the only guy he could've had that long of a match with was Bret because Bret was the only guy in the WWF at that time on his level. Bret has said many times that it was the hardest match of his life and he's extremely proud of the match and the fact that neither guy had a botch in 62 minutes of action and that they accomplished everything they set out to accomplish before the match, which is crazy impressive considering the match was over an hour. I still can't believe that this match and this show took place 25 years ago tonight. Crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DammitC and Chris

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Honestly, might not be an unpopular opinion anymore these days, but I think the Iron-man match between Shawn and Bret ages worse and worse with each other day.

Showstopper

Reaction score
I dunno, Rock/Austin III is honestly my favorite match on the card and tbh, I think it's the best match of the trilogy.

But yeah, Mania XIX is an incredibly top-heavy show whereas Mania X-Seven is just a more balanced show I guess, so it depends on what you're looking for, good action all throughout, or a bad undercard and a GOAT main card.
That is a good match. I thought you were going to say Brock/Angle, for sure. I prefer their WM 17 match more, but it's still a good one.