The Reason Behind Rey Getting the Title (ugh)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Axis

Reaction score
A lot of guys have good in-ring work doesn't change the fact that his last title reign turned me off of Smackdown for months.

It did for me as well, but let's look at context here. We can't even begin to talk about poorly booked title reigns when it comes to Jack Swagger, and ignore how Mysterio's reign was booked. It was absolutely horrid, and the bookers were absolutely out of their minds. Imagine if he had won the belt in mid-2009. His reign would have included his feuds with Chris Jericho, Batista, Dolph Ziggler, and CM Punk, along with matches against Jack Swagger and John Morrison. It would have been one of the best wrestling-oriented reigns in some time. Even people that are tired of Mysterio have to admit that his work has been off the charts for the last year-and-a-half. And, unlike many other wrestling-oriented "superstars," Mysterio is able to maintain a HUGE fanbase without the big promos over-the-top booking.

Reaction score
I think Swagger was over in an "I legit don't ever want to see this guy on my television ever again... and also hope he gets herpes" kind of way. Though it's heat, it's not necessarily the kind of heat you want a wrestler to have. Instead of tuning in to see them get beat, you're turning the TV off because you can't stand them.

It's not herpes, it's Hepatitis C and it's called X-Pac heat.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
It did for me as well, but let's look at context here. We can't even begin to talk about poorly booked title reigns when it comes to Jack Swagger, and ignore how Mysterio's reign was booked. It was absolutely horrid, and the bookers were absolutely out of their minds. Imagine if he had won the belt in mid-2009. His reign would have included his feuds with Chris Jericho, Batista, Dolph Ziggler, and CM Punk, along with matches against Jack Swagger and John Morrison. It would have been one of the best wrestling-oriented reigns in some time. Even people that are tired of Mysterio have to admit that his work has been off the charts for the last year-and-a-half. And, unlike many other wrestling-oriented "superstars," Mysterio is able to maintain a HUGE fanbase without the big promos over-the-top booking.

Mysterio's work is badass no doubt and with the young fresh talent on SD now, his reign could be very decent I guess. I have no real reason to knock it other than the fact that I'm tired of Mysterio. I'll give it a chance. As far as Swagger goes, hopefully he can do a Sheamus and build his cred after losing the title so in the future he will be ready.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
Awesome how the most unqualified person wins money in the bank, then cashes it in, wins the world title....then FLOPS as a Champion!

and think...we could have had Y2J as Champ post mania.

Reaction score
WTF, Swagger was amazingly over, was I the only one that heard those multiple boos every time he cut a promo. WTF, this is just a way to get the title back on Punk? If anyone in the WWE deserves multiple title reigns it is Rey Mysterio, my bias aside he is the best in ring worker WWE have right now perhaps after Chris Jerico, he deserves more than that one title reign he had possibly because Eddie died. Rey has a right to complain, he is one of the most over superstars on Smackdown, he is THE best in ring worker on Smackdown, regardless of his characters and not Punk like amazing promos Rey is the most deserving of a title reign and has a right to complain about the fact that he has been pushed to the side multiple (yes, that is the 3rd time I have said multiple in this post) times.

Agreed. He had some serious heat when he opened shows with his promos.

Rey is crap in the ring, btw. He hasn't been good since '07

Reaction score
Rey pulled a Carlito. Said he was unhappy, bam got a push or in this case a title.

And I guess I'm the only one that enjoyed Swagger's promos.
Here the temperatures reach 54 C, so a shower of "spitaroony" of the All American American won't be a bad thing after all I guess >_>

Kizza

Reaction score
That and Rey Mysterio has had the best in-ring work the past year-and-a-half of anybody in the WWE.

This. He's been the most solid worker, along with CM Punk, in the company over the last couple of years.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Awesome how the most unqualified person wins money in the bank, then cashes it in, wins the world title....then FLOPS as a Champion!

and think...we could have had Y2J as Champ post mania.

Quoted for fucking truth!!

Airfixx

Reaction score
Swagger...

Midcard jobber > MITB winner > cashes in ON ANOTHER HEEL > Main event jobber..... Hardly fucking suprising he didn't get over much.

Personally, I thought he performed well considering what he had to run with.

Rey...

The haters need to let the 2006 reign go.... Look at the roster compared to back then... We got Punk & Swagger to challenge him as opposed to Henry & Khali (JBL too, but they had damn good matches). I'm not sure I buy Rey's being unhappy leading to the title reign.... He's been one of THEE focal points of SD ever since he was drafted back from Raw... Getting long term fueds with guys that can actually compliment his style and having the best matches in the company as a result. Not to mention title shots galore(including being thrust straight back into the mix following a suspention) . Unless, maybe he was hankering for something OUTSIDE of the business?

MC Rae

Reaction score
Simply put, WWE are rewarding Mysterio for his dedication to the company. His work has never fallen below average in the ring and he's gone out there despite working through (yet another) knee injury and has given 100%. I'm not the biggest fan of Rey by any means but I'm hard pressed to say he doesn't deserve the belt.

On the other hand I feel sorry for Swagger, its not his fault entirely he has been subject to questionable booking for his title run. But he has developed well in promo-wise tremendously and in-ring wise too, so despite his lack of 'over-ness' his reign HAS been beneficial in my opinion.

But with Rey's injuries, and now with the title, and although I respect his dedication he's risking a lot which may risk longevity of his career.

maty619

Reaction score
@gates: Are you out of your mind? Rey is crap in the ring? I think you are basing your opinion on his in ring work from your dislike for his character. Rey Mysterio has been the best wrestler the company has, bar Jericho, for some time now, he may be a spot monkey but he is fucking amazing. If you watch any of Rey's matches since 2009 you will see that it is a great match, he hasn't worked a bad match since WM 25 which was only bad because it was like 20 seconds long. I really don't understand this post and I can't explain to you how wrong I think you are.

CMS

Reaction score
This report just screams bullshit. Rey Mysterio is unhappy with WWE yet he signed a contract extension not so long ago with them, and chose not to take his vacation for surgery so that Smackdown didn't hurt as much.

Secondly, they are unhappy with Swagger yet they are keeping him in the main event, which they are after reading the Smackdown Spoilers.

Can't the reason for the title switch can't just be that they wanted to change the dinamic in Friday Nights and wanted a face champion, which we haven't have since Elimination Chamber? Or how about this is their way of starting Swagger vs Rey (you could start bashing creative in this one though)? Or the logic one, they want to strap the rocket on Rey Rey and give him a long ass title reign considering he's a tested draw and they are moving to a new network in a few months?

Double J

Reaction score
No matter why they switched the title holder, I'm glad they did. I'm not sure why but I've just never been able to accept Swagger as champion material. Mainly when you stack him against other champions. Look at him side-by-side to Punk, Rey, Big Show, Batista, Undertaker, Jericho,ect,ect. He just looks out of place as far as both general looks and achievements but yet we're expected to take him seriously.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I'm loling because this was Sheamus only 6 months ago