The Real Mr. Wrestlemania

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

JMay187

Reaction score
Now we all know that Shawn Michaels calls himself Mr. Wrestlemania. But he has lost at Wrestlemania countless times. Now on the other hand we have the Undertaker who has been in 16 Wrestlemania's and has won every single match.

So wouldn't that make The Undertaker the REAL Mr. Wrestlemania?

Thoughts?

CT Styles

This has been debated numerous times.

Kayfabe wise: The Undertaker obviously.

Legit wise: Shawn Michaels.

noumenon

Yes... but it would be awkward calling Undertaker "Mr." anything...lol

MikeRaw

Ya, CT Styles summed it up. Obviously kayfabe wise, Taker would be the Mr.Wrestlemania, which is what actually make it to be a pretty interesting feud, to see in kayfabe which one will come out on top, but like CT Styles said, legitametly, Mr.Wrestlemania would have to be Shawn Michaels. His matches and moments are more memorable as a whole.

Beer Money Army

imo mr. wrestlemania would be either HBK or Bret hart...

these 2 have the most memorable matches in wrestlemania

for bret Hart: his matches with piper wm 8, owen wm10, hbk wm 12, Austin wm13...

while HBK has had alot of great matches as well: razor ramon wm10, bret hart 12, austin wm 14, y2j wm 19, hhh/benoit 20, angle 21, cena wm23 and Ric flair 24..

these 2 always bought there A+ game to wrestlemania... it's a shame Bret Hart mania tenture ended at WM 13, because he had so much more to give...

SnackZ

Reaction score
Why is Hulk Hogan not in this conversation?? Seriously. He main evented Wrestlemania after Wrestlemania and had some epic encounters/moments at Mania.

WM1 - Hogan and Mr. T defeat Piper and Orndoff
WM2 - Hogan defeats King Kong Bundy
WM3 - Hogan defeats Andre the Giant
WM5 - Hogan defeats The Macho Man Randy Savage
WM6 - Hogan loses to The Ultimate Warrior
WM7 - Hogan defeats Sgt. Slaughter
WM8 - Hogan battles Sid (papa shango and warrior interfere)
WM9 - Hogan defeats Yokozuna for the title
WM18 - Hogan loses to the Rock
WM19 - Hogan defeats Vince McMahon
WM21 - Hogan gets inducted into the HOF

I know HBK has put on some great matches and stole the show plenty of times and Taker is 16-0 but Mr. WrestleMania is Hulk Hogan, believe it or not.
WM

Jay Swagger

Reaction score
I agree about Hogan. Sure he's not as great in the ring as HBK or 'Taker or Bret. But come on.....it's Hulk F'N Hogan!

I say Hogan or Austin or 'Taker as Mr. Wrestlemania though. All of Austin's matches against Rock have been classics. Him encounter with Bret, Classic. His match vs. HBK to win his first WWF Heavyweight Title, Classic. HBK was great, but I think Hogan 'Taker and Austin should be mentioned when naming a true Mr. Wrestlemania. I'm Just Sayin'...

Airfixx

@ The above Hulkamaniacs above:

How so???

If you're talking kayfaybe then Taker pisses all over Hogan... 16-0... No-one comes close.

And if you're talking show stealing perfomances then FUCK NO.. Hogan doesn't deserve anything approaching such an accolade....

WM1 - Hogan and Mr. T defeat Piper and Orndoff... Good fun, but IMO that match was such an anticlimax to what came before it.

WM2 - Hogan defeats King Kong Bundy... Below average cage match.

WM3 - Hogan defeats Andre the Giant... Big deal, but it stank once the bell rung.

WM4 - Hogan/Andre doubleDQ... Ironically a better match than WM3, but once again little more than a 5min brawl and a slam.

WM5 - Hogan defeats The Macho Man Randy Savage... That match was the Macho Man show. Hogan did NOTHING.

WM6 - Hogan loses to The Ultimate Warrior... Props to Hogan for, no doubt, some big-time ring generalship, but I still don't think it was an outstanding performance on his part.

WM7 - Hogan defeats Sgt. Slaughter... OK match I'spose, but I wouldn't wanna start comparing it to some of the classics that we've had from the other guys being mentioned in this thread.

WM8 - Hogan battles Sid (papa shango and warrior interfere)... Utterly terrible match - One of the worst WM ME's EVER.

WM9 - Hogan defeats Yokozuna for the title... A 1 legdrop squash???? C'mon guys, you sure you even seen the matches your nominating as classic in ring perfomances?

WM18 - Hogan loses to the Rock...Once again, like WM3 something VERY special, but not much to write home about once the bell rang.

WM19 - Hogan defeats Vince McMahon... Good fun, but once again an in-ring classic?

WM21 - Hogan gets inducted into the HOF... And?

The WM best match he ever had, BY FAR, was against Savage and he just let Savage beat the crap out of him for like 20 mins and then hulked up.

Talking of which, if U want an outside bet then look no further than Macho Man:

Wrestled FOUR FUCKIN' TIMES at WM4 (Hammer, One Man Gang, Butch Reed & DiBiase) and had three bonafide classics against Hogan, Warrior & Steamboat.... Hell, he even made Crush look pretty decent for the night @ WM10. Quality, not quantity. :y:

Montana

It all depends how you look at it.

Hogan had the most main events, and argueably the "Biggest" matchups (not the best wrestling though) No doubt Hogan carried the wwe and WM for a decade.

Taker is 16-0, but he was being spood fed win's for about 10 of those matches, at least. I'm actually not all that impressed with the streak. I know no one will ever beat it, but i feel he hasn't really added a lot to mania with his matches.

Then theres HBK, and as says he steals the show. He almost always has the match of the night, which is why he is Mr. Wrestlemania. I think Taker/Hogan's sucess is more politics, and HBK is more about the fans honoring him.

So i'd say HBK, but it all depends how you look at it.

Reaction score
The way I see it, when you talk about the greatest matches in Wrestlemania history you think of the Ladder Match from X, the Ironman match from XII, the Triplethreat from XX, HBK/Angle from XXI and the Flair retirement match from XXIV. I think of Taker's win streak too, but no match really sticks out as a WM classic. In fact, during that entire streak Taker had only two great matches (vs. HHH @XVII and vs. Edge@ XXIV)as most of them have been from atrocious (all first five matches were sorry-Snuka,Roberts, Gonzalez, Bundy,Diesel and Sid all SUCKED) to just ok (vs. Kane @14, Flair@18)/ Matchwise you can't even make an argument. It's clear cut. I think Hogan had more great matches at WM (Savage/Warrior/Rock/Vince) than Taker and trying to argue Hogan's in-ring merits to HBK's is like comparing garbage to a steak dinner.

I think people are misunderstanding the meaning of "Mr. Wrestlemania, it's the guy who puts on the performance that truly epitomizes the extravagance of what is Wrestlemania, the man capable of having the most extraordinary match on the show. It can't be a man who's entrance was more entertaining than the match itself 12 out of 16 times, it can only be the man that pioneered a match that is a staple in the show, a man that the company has bestowed the monikers "Mr. Wrestlemania" on, the "showstopper" and the "main event", why? Simply because the company realizes that they don't have a complete package of a worker like Michaels. Than man has never had a bad match at the biggest show. Ever. It's not like people are clamoring for more classics like Taker vs. Show and Albert or the epic battle with Giant Gonzalez. One thing's for sure, Mr. Wrestlemania is gonna give Taker his greatest match of his "streak".

Robert

Reaction score
The Showstopper No Doubt. Aboslute Legendery when it came to WM 13.

Mixed Face Reaction.

Coming From The Rafters.

Same Size.

Evenly Matched.

Sudden Death

Great In Ring Skills with some sick spots.

Did not know who was going to win.

Great build up showing both wreslters determined to win and plus both of them were the best at time. HBK Best Of All Time I must admit.
ETC.

Then of course his feuds with Austin, Cena, Hall, Angle, Ric Flair, Jericho,
Triple Threat with HHH and Beniot. His earlier Mania matches were pretty exciting too.

Reaction score
@ The above Hulkamaniacs above:
How so???

If you're talking kayfaybe then Taker pisses all over Hogan... 16-0... No-one comes close.

I think you could make the argument that even from the kayfabe point of view, Hogan has been more successful than the Undertaker. Now I know that the Undertaker's record is 16-0, and Hogan is 8-3-1, but Hogan has walked out of a WM title match as champion 5 times, while the Undertaker has only walked out of a WM title match as champ 3 times. In total, Hogan has left WM as champ 6 times if you include the very first WM where his title was not on the line.

And if you're talking show stealing perfomances then FUCK NO.. Hogan doesn't deserve anything approaching such an accolade....

WM1 - Hogan and Mr. T defeat Piper and Orndoff... Good fun, but IMO that match was such an anticlimax to what came before it.

WM2 - Hogan defeats King Kong Bundy... Below average cage match.

WM3 - Hogan defeats Andre the Giant... Big deal, but it stank once the bell rung.

WM4 - Hogan/Andre doubleDQ... Ironically a better match than WM3, but once again little more than a 5min brawl and a slam.

WM5 - Hogan defeats The Macho Man Randy Savage... That match was the Macho Man show. Hogan did NOTHING.

WM6 - Hogan loses to The Ultimate Warrior... Props to Hogan for, no doubt, some big-time ring generalship, but I still don't think it was an outstanding performance on his part.

WM7 - Hogan defeats Sgt. Slaughter... OK match I'spose, but I wouldn't wanna start comparing it to some of the classics that we've had from the other guys being mentioned in this thread.

WM8 - Hogan battles Sid (papa shango and warrior interfere)... Utterly terrible match - One of the worst WM ME's EVER.

WM9 - Hogan defeats Yokozuna for the title... A 1 legdrop squash???? C'mon guys, you sure you even seen the matches your nominating as classic in ring perfomances?

WM18 - Hogan loses to the Rock...Once again, like WM3 something VERY special, but not much to write home about once the bell rang.

WM19 - Hogan defeats Vince McMahon... Good fun, but once again an in-ring classic?

WM21 - Hogan gets inducted into the HOF... And?
He stole the show at almost every single one of those Wrestlemania's. If you were to ask people to name one match from every Wrestlemania that Hogan has been in, in almost every single one, the Hogan match would be the first one that comes to people's mind.

The WM best match he ever had, BY FAR, was against Savage
I'd say his best Wrestlemania match was against Warrior. They had nearly 68,000 people on their feet for over 20 minutes.

and he just let Savage beat the crap out of him for like 20 mins and then hulked up.
LOL The typical comment about a Hogan match. It's true that Hogan worked the same match for many years, but it’s also the same match that almost every wrestler works when the face wins. The bad guy beats up the face, and the face comes back in the end and prevails. But the reason Hogan had so much success with this and was able to go out there with the same routine for so long, was because of his amazing ability to sell. He could sell better than just about anyone. I'm sure people are laughing, and saying "Hogan didn't sell anything because he would just Hulk up at the end and crush his opponent". The reason the hulk up was so great, was because of how well he sold throughout the match. He sold to the point where you believed this would be the match that Hogan would lose, and just when you thought he was finished, that’s when he would hulk up and win the match.

Talking of which, if U want an outside bet then look no further than Macho Man:

Wrestled FOUR FUCKIN' TIMES at WM4 (Hammer, One Man Gang, Butch Reed & DiBiase) and had three bonafide classics against Hogan, Warrior & Steamboat.... Hell, he even made Crush look pretty decent for the night @ WM10. Quality, not quantity. :y:
This I agree with. I believe that his match against Steamboat is the greatest of all time. His match against Warrior is not far behind.

Beer Money Army

that hogan vs bundy cage match was utter shit... so was the andre/hogan...

if you took out the crowd reaction and hype away from andre/hogan and actually watch the wrestling between the to..

it's a flat out sloppy as match...

hogan entertainment is 10/10, but his in ring wrestling is about 1/10

Moonlight Drive

Shawn Michaels obviously. This isn't even an argument, neither Hogan or 'Taker come close.