The quality of WWE is about to go down

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kaedon

Reaction score
Same reason an Olympic athlete is free to use his air time to say "I'm out there to put on a great show for you" if he wants. That's just the character the wrestler is playing: a face character who is getting face pops by saying he cares more about entertaining us than he does about winning gold.

But not many, if any olympic wrestlers say they are going to put on a show. And for the record, the most played example if "I will give you a show" is a heel HBK at a press conference for WM 11 (12?). You are saying its ok to break kayfabe in some situations and not in others, either you can break kayfabe or you cant.

Travis40

Only us internet smarks know about Jeff's problems, so only we would get those references.

Every TNA fan knows about Jeff's personal problems....he even made a video about it that was shown at Slammy 2007 before the KOTM match...just pointing that out. It's pretty bad when I hate TNA and I know that, but you're obsessed with TNA and you had no idea. Maybe you were on some talent-less chick's dick...or you were too busy hating WWE...

I fail to see how this would affect the product....at all.

Some fuckwits think that a couple of words being changed will kill the show (ie. WWE Universe, Entertainers, and Entertainment)

imo it shouldn't matter what they're called, NOBODY will quit watching WWE becuase they're using these terms now. imo, if I'm being entertained, I don't give a flying fuck what they're talking about, as long as the show is good...and since last December, it's been on a roll.

Yes, everybody knows that wrestling is fake, but that doesn't mean a show that breaks kayfabe constantly is enjoyable to watch. History has proven that time and time again. We watch FOR the kayfabe. We want to be entertained by this kayfabe world, even if we as internet fans are able to read between the lines. Calling the talent "entertainers" on screen flat out breaks kayfabe, and robs us of that show. If you advocate WWE breaking kayfabe on screen constantly, that's your business. But in kayfabe, the talent are WRESTLERS. They go to the ring to WRESTLE, not "entertain."

I fucking think this is hilarious becuase TNA breaks kayfabe week, after week, after week...

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I think Shakespeare summed it up best when he said: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

All they're changing is the name of what they call their employees. How on earth is that going to make their product any worse? You can cry about kayfabe all you like but the fact of the matter is any wrestling fan with two brain cells to rub together knows that they are inherently far more entertainers than they are athletes.

Use your fucking head and stop acting so fucking obtuse.

The Rated R CMStar

So Roxxi, only faces do that? Wasn't HBK's entire heel persona and constant arrogance based on the fact that he could entertain you like nobody could.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Honestly if you ever spoke a single truly informed view on wrestling, I'd probably drop dead of a heart attack right then and there.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Travis, I'll respond to all your points when you make them in a mature manner. Don't waste my time with transexual insults.

But not many, if any olympic wrestlers say they are going to put on a show. And for the record, the most played example if "I will give you a show" is a heel HBK at a press conference for WM 11 (12?). You are saying its ok to break kayfabe in some situations and not in others, either you can break kayfabe or you cant.
He said, as if RLFB supported that. Kayfabe should not be broken. Doing so may give one or two briefly amusing moments (Triple H's "promo" promo), but it just kills the whole feel of the show. If I wanted to watch something where I was constantly aware of how fake it is, I'd watch an elementary school play.

I think Shakespeare summed it up best when he said: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

All they're changing is the name of what they call their employees. How on earth is that going to make their product any worse? You can cry about kayfabe all you like but the fact of the matter is any wrestling fan with two brain cells to rub together knows that they are inherently far more entertainers than they are athletes.

Use your fucking head and stop acting so fucking obtuse.
Think of any promo where someone said "all the wrestlers in the back," or somesuch. Imagine if they substituted the word "entertainers." That takes away the feel of the promo and the whole show. If you don't get this simple fact then I don't know what else I can possibly tell you, because that's the only point i'm trying to make.

So Roxxi, only faces do that? Wasn't HBK's entire heel persona and constant arrogance based on the fact that he could entertain you like nobody could.
Flaunting talent is not breaking kayfabe. You keep trying to combine the idea of an individual wrestler saying he's going to entertain us, and every single wrestler no longer BEING a wrestler and instead being an "entertainer." In kayfabe, wrestlers are wrestlers. If their gimmick makes them care about giving us a great show for our money, or claiming that they're so awesome that random heel comments blah blah blah, that's all well and good. But not even being wrestlers anymore, and this fact now stated on screen whenever possible? Blatant breach of kayfabe, which takes away from the feel and quality of the show.

Honestly if you ever spoke a single truly informed view on wrestling, I'd probably drop dead of a heart attack right then and there.
Teasing me is just cruel.

:shifty:

Travis40

He said, as if RLFB supported that. Kayfabe should not be broken. Doing so may give one or two briefly amusing moments (Triple H's "promo" promo), but it just kills the whole feel of the show. If I wanted to watch something where I was constantly aware of how fake it is, I'd watch an elementary school play.

Blatant breach of kayfabe, which takes away from the feel and quality of the show.

I say one thing about Roxxi having a dick, and that makes the entire post a transexual insult?...lmao...you have to admit...since she got her head shaved, she looks rather manish :g:

TNA breaks kayfabe every fucking show...that's why I don't watch it...becuase I don't want to hear about the people Mick Foley has wrestled in WWE, I don't want to hear talk about WWE ever again in TNA...they say it so many times, it seems like you're watching a 4th brand...

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
I say one thing about Roxxi having a dick, and that makes the entire post a transexual insult?...lmao...you have to admit...since she got her head shaved, she looks rather manish :g:

TNA breaks kayfabe every fucking show...that's why I don't watch it...becuase I don't want to hear about the people Mick Foley has wrestled in WWE, I don't want to hear talk about WWE ever again in TNA...they say it so many times, it seems like you're watching a 4th brand...
Hey, don't waste my time or yours writing garbage. If you want to disagree with what I have to say, go ahead; a world where everyone agrees is boring. But if you're going to throw in crap like that, I'm ignoring your post in its entirety. I post maturely and I expect the same respect.

And how many times do I have to say it? Other wrestling promotions EXIST IN KAYFABE. Remember WWF vs. WCW? By your logic, RAW is WAR broke kayfabe week after week just by airing a show. I'm not saying that TNA doesn't break kayfabe, moreso lately than ever before and much to my dismay, but don't act like mentioning WWE is a kayfabe breach. It's not.

Great One

I like entertainers better than superstars. At least they are actually what they're called. What exactly defines a superstar? I think performers would be best though.....of course that's only if they don't call them wrestlers.
Agreed.

Moonlight Drive

Kaedon said:
i believe the argument is its tantamount to calling Neo in The Matrix "The Keanu Reeves Character" while in the movie. And while I can see where he is coming from, it wont affect the product at all.
And wouldn't you think that spoiled the movie if they walked around saying 'Hello Keanu Reeves Character'?

I'm on the fence here. This term in of itself is no problem in my opinion, but calling it entertainment without the sports in front just makes no sense. That takes away from the kayfabe environment, like it isn't a legitimate sporting competition. At this rate, in 10 years they'll be saying 'Just wait till Wrestlemania, the booker has been given me a massive push and he's gonna make you put me over~!'

We also cannot assume everyone knows its staged. Little kids are now being aimed at, it's like Santa Claus. Just because it's all a big hoax (or so I have been told) or you going to ruin the excitement for your child by saying 'Oh, it's fake. I got you the presents, Santa is made up'.

Kaedon

Reaction score
The difference is a movie isnt shoot based. There is a whole LAUNDRY LIST of things the WWE and WCW did that have, under Roxxi's broad when he wants it to be but narrow when it comes to TNA definition of breaking kayfabe, totally broken it. The Matrix wasnt predicated on making you believe it was a shoot in this day at this time. You are in "their world" the WWE is in "your world".

gashface

Reaction score
We also cannot assume everyone knows its staged. Little kids are now being aimed at, it's like Santa Claus. Just because it's all a big hoax (or so I have been told) or you going to ruin the excitement for your child by saying 'Oh, it's fake. I got you the presents, Santa is made up'.

Word.

It's fine that the IWC know it's just entertainment, but when I was a kid, at least until a certain age I thought wrestling was real.

I personally don't like it.

Wrestling Station

You are not feeling it, its just because you are still not used to it. After a while, all of us will get used to the new stuff.

Remember when they first mentioned that WWE will go on HD? All of us said that it will make HBK look bald and as its high definition resolution; the wrestlers will have to work extra hard on their moves etc.. But now, we dont even think about this at all.

Another example is, Benoit's death. We said that WWE wont be the same and the story of his death and his family will affect WWE in general.

So I think hearing 2 or 3 shows of the word "entertainers" will make us ok with it after that.

Yes, as an instinct; the word wrestler is a better word and has more depth regarding storylines and hype. But, in reality; UFC (MMA) is getting bigger these days, and all people now know about pro-wrestling being a fake wrestling show. (especially when Brock is headlining the biggest MMA business today) ie: UFC.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
This whole thing also reminds me of when the WWF became the WWE.

So many whiny little cunts got their panties up in a bunch about how it would be sooo detrimental to the company when in fact its had no effect on business at all, and neither will this. If anything, its a smart move by McMahon to get his show re-classified.

Airfixx

Just a thought but doesn't the sceond 'W' in WWE still specifically claim that it IS a WRESTLING company?

Until that is changed I can't see how Vince expects to 'dodge the taxman' (if that's the motivation).