The quality of WWE is about to go down

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

kingovkings

Reaction score
It makes no difference to the product granted and il watch just the same. As t will still be the same Raw Same ECW Same SD and i love WWE. But the point is it's Breaking Kay Fabe. Yes they are Entertainers, Athletes whatever, But for the purpose of Kay fabe they still shud be called Superstars. If you are a kid even adult for that matter. Would you wanna be know as a superstar or an Entertainer. Me personally and probs 80% of ppl would rather be a superstar than and entertainer.

Soulpower

"kayfabe."

Pffft. Kayfabe died years ago. You know when Sting comes out talking about WCW, and his matches in the past? Or when HHH calls out Jeff Hardy for his real-life problems? Stuff like that has killed kayfabe. There's no reason to call them wrestlers anymore. If anything, calling them THE ENTERTAINERS, wrestlers is nothing more than a slap to the face to the actual wrestlers that ply their trade.

Edit:When I say actual wrestlers, I'm talking about the guys in High School, College and so forth.

Edit, Edit: Also, lol at this being the reason why the quality of WWE's product will go down. Shitty storylines. characters and booking will lower the quality of WWE, not calling them entertainers.

Edit, Edit, Edit: :shifty:

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
^ Different wrestling promotions are within the realm of kayfabe, so Sting talking about WCW does not kill that. Only us internet smarks know about Jeff's problems, so only we would get those references. Kayfabe is lost on us. But calling them entertainers instead of wrestlers kills kayfabe for everyone, period. We can know about Jeff's problems and still lose ourselves in the show, no problem. But calling them entertainers? Might as well call them "independent contractors."

Soulpower

I will say this. Someone like Randy Orton shouldn't be called an entertainer due to the fact that... Oh, you know where I'm going with this.

Orton sucks >_>

Qwake

Calling them Entertainers is going to get really annoying imo, whats wrong with calling them wrestlers like they have been for decades?

PS: Randy Orton pwns!!! :mad:

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
We reported yesterday that WWE informed all of their announcers this week to refer to talent as “entertainers” instead of wrestlers or even Superstars effective immediately. In addition to this new rule, Vince McMahon has also banned the use of the term “sports entertainment” and is now just being referred to as “entertainment.”

According to numerous sources, the decision is part of a organized plan of attack towards getting WWE as a company re-classified as an entertainment touring event, as posed to a legitimate sporting event. The internal hope within WWE management is that by doing this, they will take power away from the Athletic Commissions in certain States and keep the company from having to pay taxes on their events.

Obviously, this would also have the company benefit of preventing WWE from being held to the letter of the law in States like Georgia, who’s Athletic Commission is looking at putting stricter restrictions on the professional wrestling industry following the Chris Benoit incident. We’ll have to see what comes of this and whether the strategy could even work, but that’s why the change was made.

- WZRradio.com

Oh god. "The entertainers of the WWE ARE entertainment!"

Someone just kill me.

Kaedon

Reaction score
No one believes in kayfabe anymore. KAYFABE is dead. People are too smart now a days to say "Yeah its real". They know its not real. Calling them entertainers is calling them...WHAT THEY ARE. You blueberry smarks complain about how cartoonish the WWE is, so why is them calling their guys "entertainers", making it more real, a bad thing. Are they not entertainers? Is it a lie?

Kaedon

Reaction score
i believe the argument is its tantamount to calling Neo in The Matrix "The Keanu Reeves Character" while in the movie. And while I can see where he is coming from, it wont affect the product at all.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
No one believes in kayfabe anymore. KAYFABE is dead. People are too smart now a days to say "Yeah its real". They know its not real. Calling them entertainers is calling them...WHAT THEY ARE. You blueberry smarks complain about how cartoonish the WWE is, so why is them calling their guys "entertainers", making it more real, a bad thing. Are they not entertainers? Is it a lie?
If nobody believes in kayfabe, then hell, let's tear it all down! Do away with general managers, stop pretending the Undertaker is undead or whatever, stop making the talent act in any way contrary to who they are in real life... in fact, why even have a wrestling show? Just have the show be a two hour clip of the bookers meeting, where they discuss storylines, who wins where and how, and who gets the championships.

Yes, everybody knows that wrestling is fake, but that doesn't mean a show that breaks kayfabe constantly is enjoyable to watch. History has proven that time and time again. We watch FOR the kayfabe. We want to be entertained by this kayfabe world, even if we as internet fans are able to read between the lines. Calling the talent "entertainers" on screen flat out breaks kayfabe, and robs us of that show. If you advocate WWE breaking kayfabe on screen constantly, that's your business. But in kayfabe, the talent are WRESTLERS. They go to the ring to WRESTLE, not "entertain."

The Rated R CMStar

I don't see how this is for example anything different from a promo in which wrestlers say "I come out here night after night to entertain you".

Kaedon

Reaction score
If nobody believes in kayfabe, then hell, let's tear it all down! Do away with general managers, stop pretending the Undertaker is undead or whatever, stop making the talent act in any way contrary to who they are in real life... in fact, why even have a wrestling show? Just have the show be a two hour clip of the bookers meeting, where they discuss storylines, who wins where and how, and who gets the championships.

Yes, everybody knows that wrestling is fake, but that doesn't mean a show that breaks kayfabe constantly is enjoyable to watch. History has proven that time and time again. We watch FOR the kayfabe. We want to be entertained by this kayfabe world, even if we as internet fans are able to read between the lines. Calling the talent "entertainers" on screen flat out breaks kayfabe, and robs us of that show. If you advocate WWE breaking kayfabe on screen constantly, that's your business. But in kayfabe, the talent are WRESTLERS. They go to the ring to WRESTLE, not "entertain."

Then why is it ok, as CMS said, for stars who come out and say "I will come out here and give you a show" and the WWE to call itself "sports entertainment" or for TNA to "cross the line". If were in Kayfabe, there is no line. And dont get me started on the video game action and chronic no selling that breaks kayfabe that you defend.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Then why is it ok, as CMS said, for stars who come out and say "I will come out here and give you a show" and the WWE to call itself "sports entertainment" or for TNA to "cross the line". If were in Kayfabe, there is no line. And dont get me started on the video game action and chronic no selling that breaks kayfabe that you defend.
Those are always face characters coming out and being face-y. In kayfabe, professional wrestlers are professional wrestlers. They join the organization and they wrestle in order to win championships. It's like the Olympics. The athletes don't really care that we're watching - they're there for gold and glory.

Sports entertainment: Never said I supported that. I don't.

Cross the Line: Once again, different promotions exist in kayfabe. Cross the Line in kayfabe applies to other wrestlers themselves, who never get into hardcore matches or whatever. Yes, in reality it's the bookers who make that call, but in kayfabe, it's because of cowardly wrestlers and talentless Divas.

No selling: No selling, moves that magically turn a match around, finishers that are somehow so much more lethal if one person does them compared to another, etc, are all part of kayfabe. If no moves were ever sold less than they should be (no trading harmless jabs, no SuperUndertaker totally unharmed by Kenny Dykstra, etc), if there were no moves that always turned matches around (whisper in the wind, pele, AA spinebuster, etc), if there were no finishing moves (list is obvious), and if there were no etc, there would BE no kayfabe. You keep arguing things that you claim break kayfabe, when in reality you're listing things that kayfabe encompasses.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
So why is ok for wrestlers to say "I am going to entertain you" when the kayfabe object is not to entertain, it is to win.
Same reason an Olympic athlete is free to use his air time to say "I'm out there to put on a great show for you" if he wants. That's just the character the wrestler is playing: a face character who is getting face pops by saying he cares more about entertaining us than he does about winning gold.