The PlayStation "Vita"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
[FONT=&amp]When the Playstation 4 was “revealed†a few days ago, Sony made the not so shocking announcement that Playstation 4 games would be playable on the Vita (Giving it a Wii-U like dimension) and that it would feature connectivity with the handheld device which so far, has not been able to keep up to Sony’s expectations. However, let’s not jump to hasty conclusions and say anything drastic, as no product automatically succeeds in it’s first year. (PS3, anyone?)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
The Verge said:
The Vita's prognosis looks gloomy for a system with a name that means "life"

Not a bad point at all. Might be a hasty statement, but he does have a point. Given that Sony always has projected a ten year life cycle for their consoles, it’s kind of doubtful that a handheld can keep up with tablet technology which is developing at breakneck speed. Granted, a tablet will never be a dedicated gaming device in the true sense of the term like the Vita, as the Vita will have Sony exclusives that an android device never will, but at this point, all that Vita has is a bunch of watered down PS3 games, which no current gen console owner is going to bother buying, given that they’re all available for the PS3 anyway.

What do you guys think that Sony has to do to save the Vita? I think that they should just go out and make a ballsy decision like making God of War: Ascension and Beyond Two Souls Vita exclusives or something. I know it will never happen, but you get the idea. 3-4 games like that and a price drop like the one it got in Japan will save the Vita from a downfall that at this point, seems all but inevitable.

On paper, it's the best handheld console ever made. In reality however, I have always had this gut feeling that it will be the final handheld console that Sony ever makes.

I really, really hope that the Vita doesn't go down and flop, as I was hoping to pick it up somewhere down the line after the price drops. There's always the venerable PS3 up for grabs if the Vita doesn't manage to churn out anything satisfactory in the near future, but I really want the Vita to succeed as I've been a fan of Sony's ever since the PS1/PS2. Specification wise and in theory, it really is the best handheld console ever made.

Will the Vita die a slow death? Or will it “live†like it’s supposed to? Do any of you guys actually own the thing? I heard that it's really something when you hold it in your hands, quality wise I mean.

Reaction score
They did not say that Playstation 4 games would all be playable they said they would be working to make all Playstation 4 titles play on the Vita, the wording was very specific. Perhaps they will have a much more tightly defined definition at E3 and maybe even a list of the first titles they'll have that will be compatible but from what I gathered from the press conference they weren't saying out of the box all PS4 games would play on Vita.
I have heard rumors that Sony will attempt to make a PS4/Vita bundle though, so they certainly don't seem to be looking to bail on the platform just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they update the Vita though like they did with the PSP.
The major problem with the handheld gaming at this point is that it's always been a smaller share of the market and now with phones/tablets being so prominent it takes away from their market even more my prospective buyers being turned off by having yet another device on them.
As of right now the biggest problem with the Vita's first year is the same thing as the PS3, there is a severe lack of Vita specific games. I think the Vita could be more successful if they'd at least offer a smaller piece of PS4 games on the Vita like the Club Drive app, Destiny's app, COD Elite and all of EA's sports games. Not to mention all the other games that I'm sure will be following suit with apps of their own. If they could find a way to make the Vita emulate PS1/PS2 games and load faster/upscale that would also be a way to increase sales, because this last generation has proved we love to buy the same games over and over again!

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
I think the Vita will fail. Sony just doesn't really seem to support their handheld systems. There's a reason why DS games are still displayed and PSP games are not. Sony keeps adding all these good, cool features but what they're lacking is games. The Vita is a very cool device but the lack of games is what really hurts it. I don't think we'll ever see another revolutionary handheld like the Gameboy's. You could play games while away from home on handhelds but now you can play thousands of games on your phone or tablet device whenever you want. It just seems like people don't buy handheld devices much anymore so they don't really develop games for them so then people don't buy stuff they don't support. It's a vicious circle.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I think the Vita will fail.

It's not all doom and gloom.

Japanese PS Vita sales quadruple since price cut - GameSpot.com

By a factor of four. Not bad at all. It's a shame that Sony has no such plans for North America and Europe, (My country falls under Europe, PAL territory and not NSTC-USA or NTSC-J) The sales would definitely increase if they reduced the price, I think that the Vita will catch up once the PS4 is out and the PS3 becomes Sony's secondary concern, after the release of the PS4 we can expect some good Vita exclusives IMO.

Sony said:
Gamers should not expect the price cut to be extended to other markets anytime soon.

:(

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Playstation Vita Sales Skyrocketing After Price Cut - Forbes

Just as everybody has been predicting all along, all it needs is aggressive pricing and a few more exclusives coupled with whole PlayStation Network+ integration, would go for the thing in a heart beat.

What annoys me however is that they removed the third party display support present in the PlayStation portable, didn't it have the capability to be connected to television sets via component? Recall being able to connect it using component when I owned one a few years ago. If they had added a mini-HDMI to the Vita so it can be connected to HDTVs/LCD monitors, it would have been perfect.