The Olympics Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I did, and I'm leaving it at that.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I'm assuming you didn't like it then.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I liked a couple of parts and thought the majority of it was horrendous. Tops of the night for shit performance easily goes to Muse, though Annie Lennox and her skeleton boat were right up there. The highlight for me was the scowl on that prissy little bitch Victoria Beckham's face that she had to be there for the Spice Girls thing even though she probably got paid a boatload of money. What a fucking whore she is.

Oh and I also liked the random moment where Pele appeared towards the end but wasn't really acknowledged...that's class all the way.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
The coverage in America is shocking so I didn't get to see much of it but from what I saw, I didn't think it was that bad.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The coverage in America is shocking so I didn't get to see much of it but from what I saw, I didn't think it was that bad.
On that we can agree, I flipped to NBC's coverage a couple of times for the laughs and wow, they just never get it right. It saddens me that many US citizens don't get a chance to see the Olympics covered properly, but then again perhaps they really don't care? After all, if American's aren't involved in the events, many of them would simply tune out.

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score
On that we can agree, I flipped to NBC's coverage a couple of times for the laughs and wow, they just never get it right. It saddens me that many US citizens don't get a chance to see the Olympics covered properly, but then again perhaps they really don't care? After all, if American's aren't involved in the events, many of them would simply tune out.

I watched more Olympics on the internet than I did on television for the reason stated above...the US doesn't cover any of it properly, and I quite frankly could give a shit less about our athletes. I know what the US people can do, and for that reason I always tune in to watch other countries. I'm one of few Americans that complains about watching events on television that are only being shown because the American team is either winning or ranked high enough to pull off a win. The coverage shown in this country defeats the purpose of watching.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
They are incredibly bias to American athletes also. When an English athlete got gold in Long Jump and the American came third, they only showed the American in the highlights.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
They are incredibly bias to American athletes also. When an English athlete got gold in Long Jump and the American came third, they only showed the American in the highlights.

oh c'mon, you know that in England we're all over Team GB and don't really care about anything else if we're not in contention.

Yeah, I tuned in for the closing ceremony since I missed the opening. Load of wank.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
oh c'mon, you know that in England we're all over Team GB and don't really care about anything else if we're not in contention.

Yeah, I tuned in for the closing ceremony since I missed the opening. Load of wank.
Even in Canada we're obviously going to feature our athletes more, but our networks create video packages for many of the athletes from other countries, particularly in sports we aren't that good at. It allows us as viewers to learn more about both the athletes and their sports and gives us an opportunity to both cheer and embrace the best that every country has to offer. I'm not sure if you're coverage does this as well, but I can downright guarantee that the US coverage does not.

Vincey Reid

Reaction score
I think every country highlights the sports that their athletes perform well at, it's only natural to be proud of the achievements of your sports-people after all. However, not showing a gold medallist in an event they were showing highlights off seems a bit stupid and strange. Don't think British TV would ever do that!

TactMrBlack

Reaction score
I only was only interested in the basketball. I like seeing the European style of play. Other than that I didn't catch any of the Olympics.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8

I can't judge on our coverage of the Olympics because I didn't see much of it. Only the football matches.

Kushikimi

Reaction score
In Puerto Rico we only highlighted Culson running... the rest was a joint coverage with channels in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Spain and Venezuela. I think it was nice, because we got to see many things even when there wasn't even an athlete from my country competing. The whole basketball tournament was covered, Tennis was covered, Ping-Pong was covered, Volleyball was covered (both), Soccer, Wrestling... in fact there wasn't a sport they didn't cover.

The only weak link of the coverage here, was the fact that in Puerto Rico the ones covering most of the sport aren't sport reporters... and they had a lot of mistakes covering it... the most shocking was a female reporter telling that Javier Culson was running in the 400 Mile Hurdle event... when is 400 meters with hurdles.