The Official Wrestlemania 25 Thread.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Travis40

lol Evan Bourne won't have a match at Mania imo

The last match they're going to add at Mania is going to be JBL/Mysterio imo. 9 matches is enough for Mania. They shouldn't have to cram 11 or 12 matches into 4 hours...it just doesn't work.

xtremebadass

It could turn into another WrestleMania X-8 where you can't even remember all the matches on the card. They will add an ECW title match, they just need Bourne to have another match before somehow fitting him into the title picture with Swagger within the next two weeks. Or there is always Tommy Dreamer to fight Swagger...oh god no.

Reaction score
Watch him face Evan Bourne at Wrestlemania

As farfetched as it might sound - Jack Swagger vs. Evan Bourne will probably top the list of matches I want to see at Wrestlemania.

Letting-off-some-steam time. Take it or leave it.

If I could describe Wrestlemania XXV in brief? Recycled material, polishing turds, creating structures without a foundation beneath, and just slapping a bunch of stuff together and then covering it in Wrestlemania frosting to look good.

Triple H vs. Randy Orton - This programme has been done. Heck, they were in the same ring fighting at Wrestlemania last year! They spent 18 minutes one-on-one in the Fatal Four-way Elim at Backlash, 21 minutes main-eventing in a Steel Cage at Judgement Day, and Last Man Standing at One Night Stand. Four unique stips (interestingly, not your standard Singles Match) which pretty much covered the feud. This ended only 10 months ago. On the plus-side, the build behind this match is different - much more heated, and more of a personal grudge match than a match for the title.

Then again, should Wrestlemania be main-evented by a match of this kind? Isn't the final match of the evening usually billed more as the title match of two elite superstars, rather than this? Unsure. Fill me in on that one.

Edge vs. The Big Show vs. John Cena - Feels too much like the boardroom finalised their Wrestlemania plans, and Vince looks at the whiteboard and asks: "Hey, where's The Big Show?" The feud doesn't fit John Cena too much into the equation either. He's the odd-man out. I've lost hope here. Cena in two consecutive triple-threat matches at WM?

I'll take the long odds bet Edge and The Big Show settle their drama over Vickie in a match on the Monday prior to Wrestlemania. Loser is eliminated from the triple-threat. Edge vs. Cena will do (they've fought twice since NWO, right? DQ in the title rematch and whatever the heck was last Friday).

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - It's got the perfect ingredients for a good match but, I'm empty on this one. It just appeared out of thin air. JBL had a plan to meet The Undertaker at Wrestlemania, and then HBK thought "Hey, that's a neat idea. Maybe I'll try that too." Am I right? Clouded memory.

This match is like the WWE offering us an elegent three-course meal, and plonking the stuff on a plate from a trough in a bain-marie. The promos and the build is warming up nicely but, it just didn't start off on the right foot and I'm not anticipating something big from that angle. However, these two should put together a circa-**** match. Can't complain.

Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy - I was hot for this match a few days back and have performed a 180 switch. Reality is, this appears to be Plan B or C if indeed Christian was supposed to be the man responsible. What could've been if that were the case? Anyway, I'm not sold that this will be a poor match - they are brothers who in the past dare to put together a raging, ridiculous spectacle for the fans. This match is not on the noose as yet. But I reckon both the Hardy Boyz are losing some spark off their heat.

Chris Jericho vs. The Jurassic Period - The less said, the better. Superstar of the Year 2008 in the WWE gimmick form, and probably in the IWC form and professional/expert form as well. Killer promos with his masterful mic ability, excellent wrestling ability capable of carrying inexperienced, injured or "older" performers. Now, you tell me what Y2J deserves as a reward for his work in the 2008/09 season? This? Fuck off.

Jack Swagger vs. Winner of Battle Royal - Hopefully, as mentioned, the winner is Evan Bourne. That being the case, I hope for a good ten minutes of action and the shooting star splash. It's OK if this match doesn't receive any promo action, as I don't think Swagger could have hyped the match up. If Tommy Dreamer wins the battle royal, I'll hook up the noose.

Money in the Bank - Expecting nothing short of a typical, glorified spotfest without anything fresh. I think the concept is fading a little.

The Miz & John Morrison vs. Primo & Carlito - Awesome! Like I've mentioned before, we're going old school with a tag team match for once between guys who have put together ***+ matches on Smackdown. They are all entertaining, lively, fresh and accompanied by one-half of the Bella Twins. It's not a first since they have worked a fair bit on TV, but for tag-teaming I think this is the right way to build for a match that is rarely seen on the grand stage nowadays.

25-Diva Battle Royal for Miss Wrestlemania - Does the winner hook up with Mr. Wrestlemania? That would be interesting. Anyway, I'm taking a piss while this is on, or cooking up lunch.

JBL vs. Rey Mysterio - If this rumoured match gets the go ahead, it should be a fine little kickstart to the show. I think the chemistry could be there, and the blend of type-of-wrestler/worker seems a nice fit. When Mysterio gets on a roll and lands the 619, West Coast Pop, Springboard seated senton et al the crowd usually pops solidly. Gets the juices flowing in the crowd, even if JBL retains.

So, after all that waffle - the undercard seems pretty good if the Intercontinental Championship match occurs and Jack Swagger meets a decent opponent for the ECW Championship (not necessarily Evan Bourne, but one can only hope). MiTB and the Tag Team Unification will do their job as well.

It almost seems like the matches booked on the fly have potential whilst those heavily planned featuring the heavyweight players on the WWE are lagging behind a little.

Moonlight Drive

Put this Wrestlemania card up against one of the more recent years (I cbf right now, probably will later) and it stands high above the rest.

The one match I'm looking forward more than anything thought is Mizorrison vs The Colons. If that gets some time, it would be fucking epic.

Airfixx

Will people please STOP saying the Orton/HHH saga had already ended at ONS '08 and remember what actually happened in the fucking match!?!?!?!?!

Was everyone similarly bitching thoughtlessly about repetition when we saw Austin/Rock at 3 out of 4 Wrestlemanias in a row?

Peeps complain when the past is whitewashed/ignored in wrestling storylines, but here we have a rivalry which calls upon past betrayals and all sorts and ya'll still shit on it.

It's obvious.... HHH v Orton is only over when Orton has exorcised his demons; beating HHH for the world title one-on-one, both men fresh, at a major event (No Mercy 2007 doesn not count).... i.e. When HHH has completely acheived Mission: Evolution: PUTTING ORTON OVER.

Put this Wrestlemania card up against one of the more recent years (I cbf right now, probably will later) and it stands high above the rest.

I had the exact same thought whilst watching Raw last night.

The one match I'm looking forward more than anything thought is Mizorrison vs The Colons. If that gets some time, it would be fucking epic.

Well this is it; my WM wishes were ultimately tag title unification and an IC-title defense and it looks like I'll be getting both.... My hopes weren't geared around the ME so I don't feel inspired to complain. IMO the ME matches will deliver, as will Taker/HBK.... The only thing I think truly stinks is the shit sandwich they've served up to Jericho.

LKP

A number of notable WWE Superstars have yet to be figured into matches at WrestleMania XXV including ECW Champion Jack Swagger, Vladimir Kozlov, Evan Bourne, The Great Khali, Umaga and Sim Snuka. Here is the complete list of wrestlers that aren't scheduled to compete at the "25th Anniversary of WrestleMania" at the moment:

Raw
- Batista (injured)
- Charlie Haas
- Cody Rhodes
- Dolph Ziggler
- Goldust
- "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
- Jamie Noble
- JTG
- Mike Knox
- Santino Marella
- Shad
- Sim Snuka
- Ted DiBiase
- William Regal

SmackDown
- Chavo Guerrero
- Curt Hawkins
- DH Smith
- Ezekiel Jackson
- Festus
- Hurricane Helms
- Jesse
- Jimmy Wang Yang
- Kung Fu Naki
- Mr. Kennedy (injured)
- R-Truth
- The Brian Kendrick
- The Great Khali
- Umaga
- Vladimir Kozlov
- Zack Ryder

ECW
- DJ Gabriel
- Evan Bourne
- Jack Swagger
- Paul Burchill
- Ricky Ortiz
- Tommy Dreamer
- Tyson Kidd

Only two people i care that aint on WM25 are Umaga and Swagger a champion and a good athlete. I think a Battle royal like last year will happen at Wm25 pre show.

Airfixx

I'd be very suprised if we see a men's battle royal.... Would properly detract any kind of interest from the 'Miss Wrestlemania' battle royal. Afterall most of those guys aren't essential to the event.

I can still see there beeing an ECW title match and from there maybe an 8-man tagteam dark match or sumthin'...

ECW: Swagger v Bourne or Dreamer
Raw v SD darkmatch: Priceless, Regal & Ziggler v Truth, Khali, Jesse & Festus

Or sumthin....

Moonlight Drive

It'll be just like last year imo, a pre-show Battle Royal and a very short (albeit not 8 seconds, more 5 minute) ECW title match between Swagger and perhaps Dreamer?

Christian 2.0

Reaction score
This WM is feeling like 21. 21 has a strong undercard and 2 very weak main events. Even on paper JBL/Cena and HHH/Batista did nothing for me and the matches proved me right.

What bothers me most is that the best looking matches are also on the undercard. I've always thought WM main events should be first time matches or a continuing feud. Like I said in another thread, WM sells itself so the money is in the rematch for smaller ppv's. Where can Orton/HHH go after this? Another 6 month feud? NO! Cena and Edge for the 659th time? NO! WWE needs to work with fresh faces for next year.

The ECW title problem can be fixed by having Bourne vs. Swagger. They can both wrestle and it could be the 3rd match.

Montana

Well, i see what your saying Christian about 21, however there is some pretty big differences in my book. 21 we saw some new stars born and passed the torch (Cena/Batista and to a lesser extend Randy Orton)

What does this WM offer in the way of new talent? NOTHING. At the most someone like MVP/Shelton could win Money in the Bank. Other than that, guys who are already over, are going to be put more over/under. And at WM 21 MITB was Unique, now it'll be the same spotfest, but even more watered down.

At least thats what i think of abotu WM 21...new stars coming up, which is why the main events were weak. This year, they are just weak because they were booked that way.

noumenon

This whole fuckin PPV blows besides the HHH/Orton and Taker/HBK match.

xtremebadass

^^^ I beg to differ. They actually are putting together a decent WrestleMania. I mean for the first time in years the World Tag Titles, WWE Tag Titles, and Intercontinental Championships are all on the line. The build up to HHH vs. Orton and HBK vs. Taker is very well done. The build up to the Triple Threat is some of the funniest and most awkward segments WWE has had in years. The only bad thing I see about this year is that the MITB is pretty weak considering Kane, Finlay, and Mark Henry are in it. Another bad thing is that they screwed Evan Bourne, one of their most popular mid card superstars out of WrestleMania. They could have easily put him into MITB. They totally juiced the Hardy's rivalry by making it Extreme Rules which hopefully shouldn't dissappoint anyone. No ECW title match is probably better than there being an ECW title match because last year's ECW match was stupid as hell, shows what Vince thinks of ECW, this year probably would have ended up worse. This Mania won't be as bad as everyone thinks. I am thinking of it as a sick combination of WrestleMania's 21 and X-8. There is a strong undercard and it's just a clusterf*** of matches that one can't think of all of them off the top of their head.

Ed_cena

Reaction score
I really dont like the title matches.
Orton vs HHH for the million time and another triple threat.
The MITB in the book could be the worst one.
Jericho vs The Legends is going to suck.
The tag titles and the ic title matches are again already happen matches which I hate really for a wm especially 25.
Taker vs HBK is gonna be so awesome, I really cant wait for that one and the brother vs brother match is gonna be sick(xtreme rules).
Miss wm25 could be good, if we see trish or lita.
I hope that the ecw title match will be between swagger and bourne, that match could be sick.
I dont think that this WM25 is gonna be better than last years WM24.