The Official DVD Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PeepShow

Yeah, I got it last night and watched most of it. Really enjoyed Eddie/Dean. And yeah, the officiating makes no sense at all in the older days. In one of the LOD tag matches, they let chair shots go, but DQ'd them for clotheslining someone over the top? wtf is that?

Also, I can never get into ANY older matches. Any of them on there before '92. Just seems soooooo slow paced and nothing exciting really happens to me. I guess it's just me, but that's my opinion anyways. But yeah, as you said, good DVD overall.

Montana

Not sure if you got to it yet, but Piper vs Valentine Dog Collar, and Blanchard vs. Magnum TA I quit, are both pretty brutal old 80's matches. You might find those interesting.

Montana

I found this. I don't know if WWE plans on releasing this set or not. But here's what it is, when it will be released.

He was one of the most controversial superstars in history of sports entertainment, through his complicated relationship with Miss Elizabeth, his dramatic WWE championship tournament run at WrestleMania IV, the formation and explosive breakup of the MegaPowers with Hulk Hogan, his reign as the Macho King, and his shocking jump to WCW. “Macho Manâ€￾ Randy Savage brought a chaotic poetry to the ring. He’s widely considered one of the finest in-ring competitors of all time, and his interviews were always a sight to behold. For the first time ever, fans can relive the entire storied career in Macho Madness: The Ultimate Randy Savage Collection, a 3-DVD set that spans two decades of exciting and intense matchups.

Disc 1

WWE Debut
Randy Savage vs. Rick McGraw
Prime Time Wrestling July 9, 1985

Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat
Boston Garden December 7, 1985

WWE Championship Match
Randy Savage vs. Hulk Hogan
Madison Square Garden December 30, 1985

WWE Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship
Randy Savage vs. Tito Santana
Boston Garden February 8, 1986

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Randy Savage vs. Bruno Sammartino
Boston Garden January 3, 1987

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat
WrestleMania III March 29, 1987

Randy Savage vs. Honky Tonk Man
The Main Event February 5, 1988

WWE Championship Tournament Final
Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase
WrestleMania IV March 27, 1988

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship
Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase
Madison Square Garden June 25, 1988

Disc 2

Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant & Ted DiBiase
SummerSlam August 29, 1988

WWE Championship Match
WrestleMania V April 2, 1989

WWE Championship Match
The Main Event March 22, 1990

Randy Savage / Sherri vs. Dusty Rhodes / Sapphire
WrestleMania VI April 1, 1990

Retirement Match
Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior
WrestleMania VII March 24, 1991

Randy Savage vs. Jake Roberts
This Tuesday in Texas December 3, 1991

WWE Championship Match
Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair
WrestleMania VIII April 5, 1992

Disc 3

WWE Championship Match
Randy Savage vs. Shawn Michaels
European Rampage April 19, 1992

Randy Savage / Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair / Shawn Michaels
Worcester, MA July 22, 1992

WWE Championship Match
Randy Savage vs. Yokozuna
RAW February 28, 1994

Lifeguard Match
Bash at the Beach July 16, 1995

WCW Championship Match
Nitro January 22, 1996

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Randy Savage vs. Diamond Dallas Page
Great American Bash June 15, 1997

WCW Championship Match
Randy Savage & Sid Vicious vs. Kevin Nash & Sting
Bash at the Beach July 11, 1999​

Montana

Just a heads up...FYE has a sale on these "legends" tins. Normally they are like 40-60 bucks....but right now they are only 20$...PLUS I got a 10$ rebate. So i got the set with Bret Hart, Jake and Snake, and Brian Pillman for like 10$. Pretty nuts.

Plus they got:

ECW one with ONS 05, Bloodsport and December to Dismember

Legends with Hogan, Piper and Vince

Old School with Dusty, Bill Graham, and AWA

Normally these go for like 20$ a piece.

the dark knight

they said teh smackdown 10th anni DVD will be available soon on smackdown...

how come i saw it in a DVD store where i live a week ago?

Airfixx

^^^Probably a taped show, innit.

Can't wait to get my mitts on a copy, tho' will prob wait til payday now as I spunked all my wages on music this month!.

Vedict on a few DVDs I watched recenty:

Randy Savage: ...How dissapointing???? The oldest matches were welcome as I'd never seen them before, but damn... Nothing in the way of life-story etc., what-so-ever, however entrenched in kayfaybe it may have transpired to have been. Then there's the promo clips.... Why just chuck them all on as extra's when they could sit coherently alongside the matches themselves ...PLUS, I don't want some no-talent fuck like Maria in my face, ignorant and acting cutesy whilst I'm (trying) to revel in the joys of (IMO) one of the greatest of the last 25 years. When done well, the WWE docu/comps can be awesome, but alas this one wasn't.

Rise & Fall of WCW: ...The doc wasn't that bad, although it was largely the same old footage and interveiws as always (especially when reaching the mid 90's - I may as well have just stuck on the Monday Night Wars DVD at that point). Even the odd bits of interview footage I hadn't seen like some of the Hogan stuff was in fact from 2003. I think it could have just been bad timing for the DVD... Give it a year or so and big WCW figures like Nash & Sting could well have been a more viable (or indeed less detrimental) prospect for interviews (in Vinces eyes). The collection of matches started off great, but haven't made it through the more recent stuff yet.

Jim Cornet - RF Shoot: Clocking in at an absolutely epic 4hrs 38 minutes which, in all fairness to him, absolutely flew by, the inimitable Jim Cornet lets' rip, well... about everything ...Masses of great story's, honest, candid and just generally superb if you're into this kind of stuff. Highly reccomended. :y:

"....and why not?"

Soulpower

Man.. That SD DVD sure is underwhelming.

There's some good stuff in it like the Eddie-Rey Cage Match, Carlito's debut match vs Cena (Which was much better than I remember it being) and Taz v HHH which isn't much of a match, but its worth a look.

However, I found the order of some of the things to be odd. They have The Boogeyman at 83, and Hogan coming back in the Yellow and Red as 82. Think about that for a while.. They're saying that The Boogeyman was almost a big as moment, as Hogan returning with the persona that made him a household name.

Montana

Reaction score
I recently picked up the Kurt Angle - Champion DVD from TNA. I am quite impressed with how this DVD turned out. I was thinking about it, and Angle never really came out with a DVD set in the WWE, just the It's True VHS from just his debut year i believe and only an hour. I would imagine a WWE release would be incredible, but i think TNA does a very good job showcasing Angle, and his life story. It features a good mix of documentary and great matches. The documentary goes over his childhood, his amatuer wrestling career, WWE, meeting his wife, starting in TNA, and his thoughts on the promotion, and the idea of moving to MMA.

The matches are certainly some of Angles best in TNA featuring 4 matches against Samoa Joe and the fued between the two, and against Jay Lethal, Sting twice, Yuji Nagata, and a king of the mountain match. I liked how it featured some actual storylines behind Angle's debut and feud with Joe. All those matches were real good.

Certainly one of the best TNA dvd releases, and right up there with the Best of AJ Styles, and some other "best of" releases. Worth checking out...it's only like 6 bucks on the TNA site, and you might be able to find it cheaper on ebay.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^^Sounds good actually.

I watched the Billy Jack Hayes "Conspiracy Theory" Shoot DVD recently...

OMG!!!! :yikes:

...Was actually quite uncomfortable to watch in parts.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I am not the biggest Angle fan, but I've heard nothing but good things about the DVD, I will most likely pick it up sometime soon.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Yes, it's very good. One of the WWE's best if you ask me. The documentary is really well done and the extras are all great, I dont think there was a bad match included tbh

Montana

Reaction score
Batista: I Walk Alone

I recently picked up the Batista DVD cheap on ebay, which it's going for so cheap i'd suggest others to seek it out as well. At first thought, a Batista DVD really doesn't sound all that enjoyable. However after watching the documentary, i think it was actually very well done. The Documentary portion is right up there with the best of them in my opinion (Pillman, Jake the Snake, Ric Flair, Vince Mcmahon) Could be one of those situations where i wasn't expecting anything much, and it exceeded expectations. I don't want to spoil too much, but a interesting child hood, relationships, and family, prior to his wrestling career. He also touched on situations after becoming a star like WM 23, and not headlining the show and his beef with Booker T. Just felt like the documentary covered all the bases.

As far as the matches go, again i'm not a Batista fan but they are decent. I now appreciate his size and ability more so now. For his size, he seems to be quite a safe wrestlers for his opponents to wrestle. (at least he tries) Has good intensity, and for someone his size, he sells pretty good too.

I don't want to say i really enjoy Batista more after the DVD, just more respect for him now.

Documentary 9/10
Matches 6.5/10 (Batista's best work, but still)
Overall 8/10

=============================================================================

TNA's Best of the Asylums years VOLUME 1

I put the keyword there on Volume 1. For a best of DVD, i want the best of the best. I didn't feel like DVD did that. It has some great matches, which recap the early years of TNA, however i didn't feel it was the cream of the crop. So take that for what you will. I can't name off which match should have been added, but i am quite sure i've seen a few on past releases (best of nwa title matches) that would be must for this DVD.

Anyways with that said, the matches they did select served a purpose. It was good to see Jarrett used at the veteran leader, and AJ Styles as the rising star. They also focused on other stars like Raven, Abyss, Monty Brown, XXX and AMW. They also wanted to feature some of the big names to step foot into the asylum like Sting, Luger, shamrock, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk and Sabu. They selected the best wrestlers. Just not sure the best matches, then again it's only volume 1, so maybe more is to come.

Overall i'd say this is probably a 6.5/10. A must have for a TNA fan, if any are still around.

=============================================================================

Chris Benoit : Hard Knocks

I watched this a few weeks back, so my thoughts might be completely together on the DVD. I wasn't sold on Chris Benoit being the best technical wrestler coming into watching his DVD. I wanted to get a better idea of why Benoit is so loved, and consider the best. I am pretty familiar with his work, but i've never been a big fan. Not sure why, and i was hoping the DVD would help me figure out if i don't like him, why? and if i do like, what do i like about him. After watching my feelings are actually about the same. He's a great wrestler, but doesn't have the "IT" factor to me. Can't take anything away from his wrestling ability and intensity.

The documentary was good. I am a big fan of the documentary portion of these shows. I felt like Benoit didn't open up as much as Batista did. None the less, people aren't buying this DVD for the documentary i don't think. Some good insight on his Japan days, and WCW run. Not bad, not great. Just pretty solid.

THe wrestling portion speaks for itself. Like him or not, he's still considered "One" of the best. Features some of his Japan matches, ECW, matches, early and late WCW matches, WWE matches, so it has some variety to it. Looking back on his wrestling career, a few matches stick out as his best. WM 20 main event Benoit vs. HHH vs. HBK, Benoit vs. Kurt Angle RR03, Benoit vs. Bret Hart Nitro, Beniot vs. Booker T, and his brawl with Kevin Sullivan. For some reason the two matches on this dvd that stood out to me (maybe cause it was the first time i seen them) was his match with Sid Vicious and WCW Souled out in 2000, and his match against William Regal at a Brian Pillman tribute show. The match with Sid should me, that Benoit not only could have a good match with a big man, but carry Sid to a good match as well. Wasn't a 5 star classic, but entertaining. The other match with Regal was brutal. Very stiff, not many fans in the crowd, but those two gave it their all. The crowd wasn't really entertained with the chain wrestling to start the match, so Benoit/Regal changed it up with a stiff striking match, and the crowd ate it up. Very nice to see them change their game based on the audience.

Documentary 7/10
Matches 9.5 /10
Overall 8/10 (Depends if you like these shows for the documentary, or the matches more; opposite of Batistas)