The Official 2024 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Doom

Sports Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

NFL news roundup: Latest league updates from Saturday, Aug. 6​

NFL

The Carolina Panthers were without one of their starting cornerbacks at Saturday's practice, but don't expect to be for long.

C.J. Henderson sat out the proceedings after rolling his ankle in Friday's practice, coach Matt Rhule told reporters. Rhule added that Henderson's absence is not expected to be long term and the cornerback could be back sometime next week.

The former first-round corner is entering his third season in the pros and his first full season in Carolina. Traded from Jacksonville early last season, Henderson played 10 games for the Panthers in 2021, logging 31 tackles and two passes defensed. Carolina will make a decision whether or not to exercise the 2021 No. 9 overall pick's fifth-year option after the season.

Henderson's injury comes just days after Carolina activated their 2021 first-round corner, Jaycee Horn, from the physically unable to perform list.

Elsewhere on the injury front, the Panthers lost defensive lineman Marquis Haynes to an apparent leg injury Saturday after he was carted off the field. Rhule had no update on Haynes' status after practice.

INJURIES

Chicago Bears
  • WR N'Keal Harry suffered an undisclosed injury at Saturday's practice.
  • OT Teven Jenkins returned to practice after missing multiple sessions with an undisclosed injury.
  • WR Byron Pringle has a quad injury and no timetable for a return, coach Matt Eberflus said.

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• WR Mike Evans is day to day with a hamstring injury.

ROSTER MOVES

Chicago Bears
Kansas City Chiefs
San Francisco 49ers

RETIREMENTS

New Orleans Saints
  • LB Kiko Alonso decided to retire instead of return to play for the Saints. Alonso signed with New Orleans on Friday after being out of football for nearly two years.

• Sad
Reactions: Swerve

Doom

Sports Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Roquan Smith requests trade from Chicago Bears​

ESPN

CHICAGO -- Bears linebacker Roquan Smith said in a written statement that he has requested a trade after contract negotiations between himself and the organization reached an impasse.

Smith wrote a statement that was posted to social media by NFL Network on Tuesday. ESPN has confirmed the validity of these messages.

The linebacker wrote that the "new front office regime doesn't value me here," after Smith said he had been trying to work on an extension since April.

"They've refused to negotiate in good faith," Smith wrote. "Every step of this journey has been 'take it or leave it.' The deal sent to me is one that would be bad for myself, and for the entire LB market if I signed it."

Chicago general manager Ryan Poles addressed Smith's trade request following the team's practice at Soldier Field on Tuesday morning. Poles said his intention is still to work toward signing Smith to an extension and that the front office is "doing everything we can to get this done."

"I'll double down on what I've said before -- my feelings for Roquan haven't changed at all," Poles said. "I think he's a very good football player. I love the kid. I love what he's done on the field, which makes me really disappointed with where we're at right now. I thought we'd be in a better situation, to be completely honest with you.

"In terms of our philosophy in the front office, I've always believed and always will that we take care of our homegrown talent. We pay them, we take care of them, and we take everyone for what they've done and what they can become in the future. And with this situation, we've showed respect from a very early timeframe and with that said, there's record-setting pieces of this contract that I thought was going to show him the respect that he deserves, and obviously that hasn't been the case.

"With that said, we can't lose sight that this isn't about one player. My job is to build a roster that's going to sustain success for a long period of time. At the end of the day, we've got to do what's best for the Chicago Bears."

Since the Bears drafted him eighth overall in 2018, the former Georgia standout has 14 sacks while recording at least 101 tackles and an interception in each season he has played. Smith is set to earn $9.7 million in the final year of his rookie deal and was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list when he reported to camp in late July.

Smith, 25, accused the Bears' front office of "trying to take advantage of me," and said the organization "left me no choice than to request a trade that allows me to play for an organization that truly values what I bring to the table."

The weakside linebacker position that Smith is expected to fulfill as the Bears shift from a 3-4 to 4-3 base is crucial to coach Matt Eberflus' defense. Eberflus has had mainstays at the position throughout his career, from Sean Lee in Dallas to Shaquille Leonard in Indianapolis, the latter of whom signed a five-year contract worth $98.5 million last offseason that made him the NFL's highest-paid linebacker.

Asked whether he has expressed to the front office the importance of having Smith in the fold, Eberflus pointed to the weight the position carries in this scheme.

"It's documented in the defense that's the position, right?" Eberflus said. "That's one of the positions, that, the 3-technique, outside pass-rushers, nickel. Those guys are all very important to us, and that Will position is a cog to that."

Eberflus said he has spoken with Smith nearly every day while the linebacker has been on the PUP list. Smith was present Tuesday at Soldier Field for the "family fest" practice despite requesting his trade just hours before. The linebacker went through rehabilitation exercises on the sideline and chatted with teammates.

In April, Smith expressed confidence that he would remain in Chicago long term with a new deal and was a full participant during voluntary workouts and mandatory minicamp. The linebacker said he wanted to be with the Bears for his entire career.

Poles articulated the same belief this offseason, saying the Bears were prioritizing an extension for Smith to remain in Chicago.

"When we engaged and we brought it, we brought it," the general manager said. "And I thought there was a lot of respect in where we're at right now. But obviously that's not good enough for him and his party. But I feel like we showed respect and showed value for what he is as a football player and what he can become."

Smith is one of a handful of notable NFL players without an agent, which comes with a unique set of challenges for the Bears' front office.

"It's difficult," Poles said. "There's emotions involved and it's tough. It's a very unique situation that we've had to deal with and I thought we've done a pretty good job, which again that's why I'm a little disappointed we're at this spot. If anything changes I'll update you."

At the end of his statement, Smith apologized to Bears fans while expressing little faith that negotiations would turn around.

"I haven't had the chance to talk to the McCaskey family, and maybe they can salvage this, but as of right now I don't see a path back to the organization I truly love," Smith said.

I agree with Roquan for not being valued or appreciated by a dysfunctional organization that is the Bears. He needs to go to a different team that appreciates his talents and his competitive spirit.

Doom

Sports Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Rams coach Sean McVay announces he signed extension with team during offseason, says GM Les Snead's deal still in works​

ESPN

IRVINE, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay said he signed a contract extension during the offseason, but the team was waiting to announce it until general manager Les Snead signed an extension as well.

During his first press conference of training camp, McVay was asked about a possible contract extension. He said, "We are in a good place. ... I feel really good about the direction that's going in and I think it'll be something where it'll be me and Les and you guys will know when that is finalized for us."

McVay said Tuesday that he gave that answer in July because "We wanted to be able to announce that when both of us [had] gotten done."

"It is something that we've been taken care of, but it is very important for Les and I to kind of have that represented as we're a partnership and a pair," McVay said.

McVay said he feels "good" about the extension, saying it was "always a really good dialogue that existed.

"These things, they take time, but I think it is important," McVay said Tuesday. "We had a respect for the process. We wanted it to be able to be announced when both Les and I got done because of the partnership. And I think it's only gotten better as we go, but that's kind of where it's at right now."

The Rams, led by McVay and Snead, are coming off a Super Bowl LVI victory and their second Super Bowl appearance since McVay was hired in 2017.

McVay, who was the youngest head coach in modern NFL history when he was hired by the Rams, has led Los Angeles to a 55-26 record in five seasons.

Snead joined the Rams as general manager in 2012 and the franchise is 86-74-1 in his 10 seasons at the helm. In 2016, Snead moved up the draft board from the 15th pick to the first overall pick to take quarterback Jared Goff.

His recent blockbuster trades involved adding quarterback Matthew Stafford in January 2021 and linebacker Von Miller in November 2021. He also signed wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. mid-season, another crucial piece to the Rams' playoff run and Super Bowl victory.

Snead and the Rams' front office have also given out several large contract extensions this offseason, signing Stafford and wide receiver Cooper Kupp through the 2026 season and reworking defensive tackle Aaron Donald's contract to make him the highest paid non-quarterback in the NFL.

Reactions: Swerve

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
The McVay news isn’t surprising. Been to 2 Super Bowls in what, 5 years? Of course they’re gonna want to keep him around

Reactions: Stellar and Swerve

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I know it’s preseason and I know the Pats don’t plan on playing their starters but…

Giants football is back tonight BAY-BAY!

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

bruh

• Haha
Reactions: Doom

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
This guy got a Kanye-level of an ego

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
:MJ:

This guy will never crack the top 100 all-time WR list ever in the history of this league and yet he thinks he deserves a Randy Moss/Jerry Rice ego. Get the fuck out of this league and never come back.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
One of the saddest parts about AB’s story is the dude had all the potential to be one of the greatest receivers ever but threw it all away

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

:DEAD: NOOOOOOOO

• Haha

Stellar

Cowgirl Barbie
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
SdPLF
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
nikkibella
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
yUZITLS
I remember drafting Michael Thomas for fantasy football a few years back as my number 1 pick and then he basically was out the whole year. That feels like forever ago. Maybe because Drew Brees is no longer there.