The Official 2024 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Heartblaze Kid said:
Tbh. Super Bowl probably deserves it own actual thread
This one is already linked to a chat. Feels safer

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
This one is already linked to a chat. Feels safer
I mean yeah. But it could be changed. But no biggie either way. Just feels it deserves it, much like me making the Daytona 500 thread.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
We can do whatever but if smark isn't notified or doesn't link the chat by Sunday then I'm merging the threads so we can use the chat :lol

Doom

Sports Moderator Savior
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
The Super Bowl LVI thread is up:

• Love
Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Doom

Sports Moderator Savior
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- As he enters the biggest game of his professional life followed by the biggest summer of his personal life, Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay spent time Friday pondering what all of that means for his future.

McVay doesn't yet have the answer to the ideal work/life balance but he made it known during his team's final media availability before Sunday's Super Bowl LVI that it's something that has been on his mind.

Moments after answering a question by saying he "won't make it" if he's coaching until he's 60, McVay was asked why he didn't think that would be the case. McVay, 36, started his response by saying he was joking but then gave a roughly 90-second answer on the other things he wants to pursue in life.

"I love this so much that it's such a passion but I also know that what I've seen from some of my closest friends, whether it's coaches or even some of our players, I'm gonna be married this summer, I want to have a family and I think being able to find that balance but also be able to give the time necessary," McVay said. "I have always had a dream about being able to be a father and I can't predict the future, you know? I jokingly say that.

"I don't really know. I know I love football and I'm so invested in this thing and I'm in the moment right now. But at some point, too, if you said what do you want to be able to do? I want to be able to have a family and I want to be able to spend time with them."

Those thoughts come against the backdrop of multiple sources telling ESPN's Lindsey Thiry in the past and again recently that McVay has considered working as a television analyst as an alternative to coaching.

In January, multiple league executives suggested to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler that McVay could follow a similar coaching/broadcasting path to Jon Gruden, whom McVay coached under in Tampa Bay in 2008, and take a break from coaching for a lucrative TV job.

One NFC executive told Fowler, "I think he's trying to get that Super Bowl ring quickly so then he can have options. ... If he wants to do TV for a while, he'd be great at it and can always go back and coach any team he wants after that."

The New York Post reported Thursday that television executives would have interest in McVay if that was something he wanted to pursue, noting "it is not clear yet if he would want to do it."

The lure of starting a family is something McVay was clear about Friday. He and fiancée Veronika Khomyn were originally slated to get married in the south of France in 2020 and then in Southern California last year but have postponed their nuptials both times for pandemic-related reasons.

McVay's thoughts on family run deep and he offered some perspective on that when talking about his own childhood experiences. He said Friday that his father Tim would have been "an unbelievable coach" but never pursued it seriously because he saw the time it meant he would be away after observing his father, John McVay, work as the head coach of the New York Giants and general manager of the San Francisco 49ers.

"I also know how much time is taken away during these months of the year and I saw that growing up," McVay said. "He has such a special relationship with my grandpa who was a coach and in personnel but one of the things that prevented him from getting into coaching was, 'Man, I had such a great relationship but my dad missed out on a lot of the things' but didn't want to do that with me and my little brother. So, I always remembered that and at some point, I want to be able to have a family. So, that's why I say that. But, s---, you'll probably be talking to me when I'm 61 doing this stuff.

Who knows?"

McVay and general manager Les Snead signed extensions with the Rams in January 2019 that have them under contract through the 2023 season. Since taking over in 2017, McVay has led the Rams to a 61-29 record, including the playoffs, three NFC West division titles and a pair of NFC championships.

For now, McVay's focus is on winning the Lombardi Trophy that has evaded him and the Rams since losing to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII. Atoning for that loss, a game in which McVay has admitted he was outcoached, has been another storyline surrounding the Rams coach this week.

"I think what you do to get over it is you look at yourself in the mirror, you take accountability and you keep it moving," McVay said Monday. "I think as a competitor, you have to be able to handle those tough moments and I'll never run away from the fact that I didn't do a good enough job for our team within what I feel like my role and responsibility is to these guys."
This is a good read about Sean McVay and what the future lies ahead of him. He's 36 and at the prime of his coaching career, I'd be okay if he steps away at some point to focus on family, since he'll be getting married this Summer.

Doom

Sports Moderator Savior
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
What a very fun night Super Bowl LVI was last night, seeing the Rams hold up the Lombardi Trophy for the second time, while the Bengals suffered their third Super Bowl loss in franchise history.

Now begins the 2022 offseason.

Here's some of the latest headlines making the news:

Adrian Peterson was arrested for domestic violence on a plane:
ESPN

Free-agent NFL running back Adrian Peterson was arrested Sunday morning at Los Angeles International Airport in connection with what airport officials said was domestic violence.

According to a Los Angeles Airport Police statement, they received a call around 8:30 a.m. local time about possible domestic violence on board an aircraft bound for Houston and responded to "a verbal and physical altercation between a male suspect and a female victim."

Peterson, 36, was booked at the Los Angeles Police Department Pacific Division. He was given a $50,000 bail and released Sunday afternoon on bond.

A representative for Peterson and his wife, Ashley, said in a statement that the two "had a verbal argument" on the flight.

Peterson grabbed her wedding ring and scratched her finger, a source close to the Petersons said, and the plane then returned to the gate.

The source said Ashley Peterson was not going to press charges.

"This is a private misunderstanding between husband and wife and we anticipate it will all be resolved shortly," the Petersons' representative said in the statement.

Officials said police investigated and made required notifications to the FBI. Peterson was arrested at 9:20 a.m. and has a court date set for June 16.

Ashley Peterson and the other passengers were able to continue their flight to Houston.

Peterson was charged with felony child abuse in 2014 for using a switch to spank his then-4-year-old son, which resulted in cuts and bruises all over the boy's body. Peterson eventually pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of misdemeanor reckless assault. In addition to a two-year probation period, he was fined $4,000 and performed 80 hours of community service. The NFL suspended him for one year.

The 15-year veteran finished this past season on injured reserve with the Seattle Seahawks, who signed him to their practice squad in December after his three-game stint with the Tennessee Titans. He appeared in one game for Seattle, rushing 11 times for 16 yards and a touchdown to tie Jim Brown for 10th place on the NFL's all-time touchdown list. Peterson ranks fifth in NFL history with 14,918 career rushing yards. He has said he plans to continue playing next season.

The Dolphins will hire Chargers run game coordinator Frank Smith as their offensive coordinator:

ESPN

MIAMI -- The Dolphins' offensive staff under head coach Mike McDaniel continues to come together, as the team will hire Frank Smith as its offensive coordinator, a league source confirmed Monday.

Smith will work in conjunction with McDaniel, who will call plays, and wide receivers coach Wes Welker, who will help develop Miami's passing game plan. He is the fourth new hire on McDaniel's offensive staff, joining Welker, tight ends coach Jon Embree and offensive line coach Matt Applebaum.

NFL Network was the first to report the news of Smith's hiring.

Smith, 40, joins McDaniel's staff after a season as the Los Angeles Chargers' run game coordinator and offensive line coach. Under Smith, the Chargers finished 11th in pass block win rate in 2021, and 20th in run block win rate -- improved from 19th and 32nd in 2020, respectively.

He takes over a Dolphins offense that ranked 25th in the NFL in yards per game last season, including 17th in passing yards and 30th in rushing. Miami's offensive line also ranked last in pass block win rate, but was a far better run-blocking unit, finishing ninth in run block win rate.

Before his stint in Los Angeles, Smith worked as the tight ends coach for the Raiders from 2018-2020, the tight ends coach for the Bears from 2015-2017 and assistant offensive line coach for the Saints from 2010-2014.

The logo for next year's Super Bowl has been revealed:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Fucking Adrian Peterson. :smh

Doom

Sports Moderator Savior
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Just no idea wtf is wrong with him
Beats me.

The scenario between him and his wife is a horrible look. He needs to go to anger management and marriage counseling after the incident.

Doom

Sports Moderator Savior
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
The Vikings have officially hire Kevin O'Connell as head coach, announced on ESPN.

Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Doom

Sports Moderator Savior
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Report: Los Angeles County District Attorney won't charge Adrian Peterson after arrest in domestic violence case​

ESPN

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office has decided not to charge Adrian Peterson in connection to his arrest at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday for what airport officials said was domestic violence, a representative told TMZ Sports.

Peterson's case will now be referred to the Los Angeles City Attorney, who will examine the case and still could charge Peterson with misdemeanor domestic violence, TMZ reported.

According to a Los Angeles Airport Police statement, they received a call around 8:30 a.m. local time Sunday about possible domestic violence on board an aircraft bound for Houston and responded to "a verbal and physical altercation between a male suspect and a female victim."

Peterson, 36, was booked at the Los Angeles Police Department Pacific Division. He was given a $50,000 bail and released Sunday afternoon on bond.

The free-agent running back had told Fox 26 in Houston in a telephone interview on Monday that he and his wife, Ashley, "got into an argument on the plane. That was pretty much the gist of it. I ended up grabbing her hand and taking her ring off her finger."

Ashley Peterson, who continued on their flight to Houston after her husband was arrested, did not press charges. Adrian Peterson said he was arrested "because the ring left a scratch on her finger."

"We just had a disagreement. I know the headlines, domestic violence. You'd think I beat her up or something," Peterson said. "It was nothing like that."

Ashley Peterson defended her husband Tuesday via an Instagram post, writing: "On Sunday, Adrian and I had a verbal argument. Unfortunately it was on an airplane. At no point did Adrian hit or strike me. This is a private matter between my husband and myself. We ask that everyone respect our privacy so we can focus on what matters most: our children."

Adrian Peterson was charged with felony child abuse in 2014 for using a switch to spank his then-4-year-old son, which resulted in cuts and bruises all over the boy's body. Peterson eventually pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of misdemeanor reckless assault. In addition to a two-year probation period, he was fined $4,000 and performed 80 hours of community service. The NFL suspended him for one year.

Peterson, a 15-year veteran, finished this past season on injured reserve with the Seattle Seahawks, who signed him to their practice squad in December after his three-game stint with the Tennessee Titans. Peterson, who ranks fifth in NFL history with 14,918 career rushing yards, has said he plans to continue playing next season.

Adrian's lucky that it's not anything major between him and his wife, as it's a misunderstanding.

Darkavius

Reaction score
Now that the season is officially over are there any moves that you want to see some teams make especially now that all the head coaching vacancies are filled?

You have some open ended questions like what happens with DeShaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy G., Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray?

I think if there was ever a time to draft the next franchise QB it would be any team in the NFC South. The only notable QB in that division is Matt Ryan and he's about 2 years away from being done in Atlanta. That division won't do anything for while so it is time to develop and build again especially against division rivals who are just as bad. Unless something significantly changes I could see the NFC South being the new NFC East next year.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
As a Packers fan I hope they ditch Rodgers and build back up. fuck that guy

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Oh sweet fucking Jesus no. I do not want Watson anywhere near the Vikings.

Doom

Sports Moderator Savior
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Oh sweet fucking Jesus no. I do not want Watson anywhere near the Vikings.

With the ongoing sexual accusations going on, I don't want him near any team.

Reactions: Bobby Barrows